<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Third test at Mohali

November 25 2016 at 8:38 AM
No score for this post
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)
from IP address 2.26.98.108

It has been confirmed that Jos Buttler will replace Ben Duckett. That's the bad news. Ali to bat at 4 and Bairstow at 5 seems to be rather better news.

Read a piece by the batting coach Mark Ramprakash warning people not to expect too much of Buttler.

I'm certainly not expecting very much but I know he has his supporters. It feels more like a case of we don't think he will be any good, but we don't have many options, and besides people won't get off our backs until we do play him.

Oh and no Broad either, Cook seems in some doubt about the pitch. Looks like a turner but history says seamer. Should be an interesting 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38101943

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Third test at Mohali

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 9:06 AM 

Big fan of Buttler but I do agree, much like Jonny Bairstow in white ball cricket, he needs to find the right tempo to his batting in red ball cricket. Their respective records should be much better in the opposite formats to which they currently excel.
However, unless we win the toss, I don't think it matters much who we pick in all honesty.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 9:25 AM 

Has anything been said about who is going to keep wicket? I can't see Buttler as a worthwhile long term prospect as a batsman - does anyone really think he's one of the best six first class English batsmen? So if this is a stopgap unsettling the established keeper seems wrong. On the other hand there seems to be a view that Buttler is the better keeper. If he is, it's by a minimal margin. Only argument I can think of for a change is that I suspect Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder.

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 9:36 AM 

Yes, Bairstow is keeping wicket.

"Only argument I can think of for a change is that I suspect Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder."

On what basis do you "suspect" Jonny is an infinitely better outfielder?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 9:37 AM 

Bairstow will keep wicket. This is no longer an issue.

It might become and issue at some later stage but he's building up lots of credit on the keeping side. It would take a disastrous run of misfortunes to get the gloves off him now.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 9:42 AM 

Jonny's fielding? Better than most regular outfielders, from what we saw at Yorkshire. Never seen Buttler without gloves, but would be surprised if he's anywhere near as good.

Glad Jonny's still keeping, but really the only basis on which Buttler should play for England in tests is as a keeper batsman.

(Login Fozzie1973)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 10:27 AM 

no other batting options out there Duckett had to be taken out of the firing line & Ballance's game looks a mess so Buttler had to play, no reason to take the gloves other Bairstow his keeping is improving, would like to see him batting higher than seven though

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 10:28 AM 

No other options are there?

But wouldn't expect too much support for Buttler on this forum. Seen posts in the past suggesting he would be behind Rhodes in the Yorkshire pecking order!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 10:39 AM 

I wouldn't go as far as below Rhodes, but if everyone was available, including an overseas, he would struggle to get in my Yorkshire team. I might play him as keeper at no 7/8, and here we are with him in the England side as a batsman.

The 'anti-Buttler' position on the forum seems quite clear to me. No-one is challenging his status as a one day player, but he's done nothing to suggest test standard in first-class cricket.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 10:54 AM 

The problem England face is that two players Ballance and Duckett, cannot be considered due to form and confidence. Buttler is the last resort as the only batsman who has not been tried yet. His heroics in the short form give him a leg up. His first class record is poor for a top six batsman - compares poorly to Rashid for example both in terms of average and centuries scored.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 10:57 AM 

You do realise Buttler wasn't selected to be in the squad as one of the best six batsmen in the country?

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute from IP address 82.132.223.183 on Nov 25, 2016 11:01 AM

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 10:58 AM 

But he's batting at 7.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 12:05 PM 

What's he been selected for? He's not going to keep, and I wouldn't imagine he's going to bowl much. Therefore, whatever no. he goes in, he's been selected for his batting, which isn't up to standard. It's not his fault. He's the reserve wk. He is in as a batsman because they chose one player whose recent form makes his selection absurd, and another who, for all his potential, has no pedigree as a batsman at this level, particularly against this form of attack.

Jay
(Login overman8)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 12:16 PM 

I wish Buttler all the best for tomorrow, and truly hope he serves up some humble pie for some folk. Surely he can't do any worse with the bat than Duckett, Ballance, Vince, Compton etc.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 12:18 PM 

Buttler was selected for the squad as back up keeper. The batsmen available have struggled, Buttler is the next best option in the squad.

Questioning the original squad selection is a different matter.

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 12:44 PM 

Not person who has said Buttler shouldn't be in the team or that he doesn't justify his inclusion etc has yet given a name of who should replace him.

PaulYorks
(Login paulyorks)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 1:01 PM 

Duckett or Ballance should replace him. Or rather, not be replaced by him.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 1:01 PM 

Indeed we haven't. That's because we've managed to get into a situation where the options are Buttler, Duckett, and Ballance. That's not a choice, it's a dilemma.

Given that situation I'd probably go with Duckett. I'm not in favour of picking someone for a couple of tests and then dropping them.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 1:04 PM 

Three votes for Duckett then if we include Ashwin.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

No score for this post
November 25 2016, 7:45 PM 

Well at least common sense has prevailed and Bairstow has been pushed up the order so he has less chance of being stranded not out.

Duckett or Ballance or Buttler?

Another option could have been to play Woakes at 7 with Adil at 8 and Ansari 9 and then Broad and Anderson. But injuries to Ansari and Broad mean less talented batsmen like Finn, Ball and Batty would have had to come into contention and the tail may have been too long.

If Buttler only has his batting to think about then it will be interesting to see his approach. I think it's the best of the options available unless Ramprakash has his kit with him

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk