<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Taunton

November 27 2016 at 7:30 PM
Peter (Don)  (Login Yfactor)

Thinking of going to Taunton for our game in June. Can anyone recommend Hotels/b&b near the ground? - I`ll be travelling by train.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Taunton

November 27 2016, 8:03 PM 

we stayed at premier inn (Taunton east i think) but reports say the central one is ok as well. on a bus route abot amile out of town, but buses stop about 7pm.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 27 2016, 9:38 PM 

Castle hotel is very nice and very central but alas a trifle expensive, two arms and at least one leg in June when the cricket's on I would suspect.

Was once put up in the Corner house hotel which is again pretty central and handy if you want to try the nightlife in the evening. My employer paid as I was on a course at the time, but they were very canny with their money so it won't have cost the earth. That was a good ten years ago but looks much the same on booking.com

Premier Inn central is fine, brewers fayre on site. Does feel a bit like you've been dumped in a business park, especially in the evening but it's not too far to town or the railway station.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 28 2016, 9:09 PM 

My only time in Taunton for the cricket was in 1987. Almost 30 years ago!! Very fond memories, if the OP has any doubt about going, I'd encourage him to go. Lovely place to watch cricket.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

November 29 2016, 9:03 AM 

And it's even better now than thirty years ago. Of all the redeveloped grounds around the country, Taunton has to be one of the best, most sensitively and tastefully done.

Last time I stayed at an Air BnB in a nearby village. It was great. But the woman who ran it, and her girlfriends who arrived for the evening I happened to be there, were so nice that I plan to book it again. So I'm not going to share the details, sorry happy.gif

(Login matthefish2002)

November 29 2016, 9:20 AM 

I went down to Taunton in 2015 and stopped at a Farmhouse called Yellands about 2 miles from the centre. The Farmhouse was in the middle of a housing estate but was a lovely building and breakfast. Looking into stopping there again if I go next year.
The cricket ground is only 10 mins walk from the train station and think after Worcester the most picturesque county ground I have been to.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 30 2016, 12:59 AM 

A lovely place to go, and a much improved ground since renovations were completed. I never found anywhere satisfactory to stay in Taunton itself, though I have enjoyed the Travelodge at Wellington and a pub near Minehead, neither of which is the slightest use if you've not got a car.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

November 30 2016, 1:06 PM 

Thanks for your suggestions.

Had a look at booking.com and not much available - think there`ll be a lot of Tykes taking a holiday in Taunton next June!

It seems to be the stand out away Championship fixture next season so hoping to go.

Peter

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

November 30 2016, 4:56 PM 

I'd recommend the Castle Hotel.
Really nice place to stay and a delightful walk along the river to get to the ground.
I like Taunton - and the local supporters are both friendly and knowledgeable.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

December 2 2016, 7:45 PM 

Finally got booked in for 5 nights at Beaufort Lodge on Wellington Rd not far from the Corner House Hotel.

Can I book 4 days fine weather somewhere? Went to the Ageas bowl for our game this season and got washed out plus similar at The Oval so fingers crossed.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 2 2016, 9:11 PM 

When it gets closer if the forecast is iffy you can ask for suggestions of things to do in Taunton when it's wet. I seem to remember spending a lot of time in pubs with bowling alleys attached when I worked down that way.

Your a lot better off than at the Ageas Bowl anyway as you're slap in the middle of town. At that time of year shorts and sunhat must be favorite.

Hope to get down for a couple of days now the pitch seems to allow for a positive result.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 2 2016, 11:32 PM 

I spent a rainy morning taking photographs in the Quantocks - beautiful. Then there's Wells, with its wonderful cathedral, and Glastonbury; and Dunster Castle, near Minehead, in the north.

I am thinking of watching Lancs v Somerset at Old Trafford, rather than go down to the rainy and VERY expensive Ageas Bowl again (something like £26 admission and £8 to park, from memory. Per DAY!)

I usually find hotels via Booking.com where there's often a free cancellation facility until only a day or so before your trip. I feel a bit uneasy about using it, but I suppose you pay a bit over the odds to compensate, and it does give you a chance to consult the weather forecast.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

January 24 2017, 10:00 AM 

After a couple of days trying have finally found a B&B to stay in. Am not a fan of Premier Inns especially at week ends. So now looking forward to my first visit to Somerset. Am currently looking for somewhere in Worcester for the one day game. Anyone know anywhere please.

(Login matthefish2002)

January 24 2017, 11:14 AM 

I am also planning to visit Worcester for the One Day game in May, I hope the Ladies Pavilion will be serving the usual home made cakes.
Might be a bit of a bind on the train but hoping to make it there and back in a day. (I might think differently when I see the train fares).
Anyway I have stopped here once before in Worcester: http://osborne-house.co.uk/
Was a nice place at a decent price about 15 mins walk from the train station.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

January 24 2017, 12:15 PM 

Thanks Matt I'll have a look at it, appreciated

John
(Login johngi)

Taunton

January 24 2017, 3:44 PM 

Hi Phil,
I have stayed at the Fownes Hotel a couple of times,15-20 min.walk from ground and railway station.Tel01905613151

This message has been edited by johngi on Jan 24, 2017 4:40 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

January 24 2017, 3:48 PM 

Depends on your budget but i can recommend The Diglis House Hotel if you want to spoil yourself.
http://www.diglishousehotel.co.uk/

If you're a fan of John Arlott's books you will know that he used to stay there.
Includes one of the nicest walks to any cricket ground in the World.....

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

January 24 2017, 4:20 PM 

Cheers Steve that ticks a lot of boxes & is doable on our budget. Managed to book Taunton & Worcester today so just need to sort Manchester out stayed at The Premier Inn last year but felt it was very hit & miss but if push comes to shove it's always there.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

well

January 24 2017, 6:16 PM 

At the opposite extreme to the Diglis - what about the Holiday Inn at Media City..?
Its a bit flashy - fifteen minute walk from the ground - with a nice restaurant and has the added bonus that you'll almost certainly see some TV types wandering around.
Jeremy Kyle seems to spend most of his afternoons in the bar and at the moment they'r filming both The Voice and Let It Shine..
Heart Apartments are nice if you're coming for all four days.
(Actually most of those are reasons NOT to stay there...)

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/manchester/mchmc/hoteldetail/hotel-room-rates#scmisc=nav_hotel-room-rates_hi

http://www.theheartapartments.co.uk/gallery/default.aspx

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: well

January 25 2017, 9:20 AM 

Once again cheers Steve. Will get the wife to look at the HI later. Just a thought there must be loads of people like me who intend following Yorkshire but are relatively new to the away side of things. I managed to see the county 25 times last season & intend to go a lot more this year. What about a sticky or something similar with people's advice on where recommend to stay both budget & a little more upmarket & eateries they recommend. Just a thought.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk