<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: Taunton

June 5 2017, 12:16 PM 

Someone was saying at Headingley yesterday that Somerset don't allow other counties fans in their members area. I was under the impression that there was a resiprocal arrangement between the counties. I can certainly remember Somerset members in our area last season.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 5 2017, 12:54 PM 

I have been allowed into all Somerset members' areas on my YCCC card - Botham Stand, Trescothick Stand, Atkinson Pavilion and, last year, the new Pavilion opposite the Botham Stand. The view from the top there, over the ground towards the Quantocks (or whatever) is superb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/27046707801/in/album-72157668514507606/

Lovely ground, nice people; the pitch has been the problem for us, but perhaps there will be a result this time. One lives in hope.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 5 2017, 1:30 PM 

Ah yes, high up in that new stand, with that view, is a great place. Good memory of being there watching Brooks and Patterson bat long and steadily to take time out of the game last year. Heart-in-mouth attritional cricket, wonderful stuff. And then Andy Hodd's great self-deprecating remark to the umpire at the end of the match.

I'm looking forward to being there again -- but don't expect the locals to be as friendly towards Yorkshire as they have been in the past. The memory of the Gale/Franklin contrivance at Lords is going to be raw. We were gutted not to get our 33rd championship and three-in-a-row again. For them it was their first chance ever. And now they're propping up the division. They can be forgiven if they're a bit tetchy towards us this time.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

June 5 2017, 2:29 PM 

Thanks for the replies. Here's what an Essex fan had to say.

An old pavilion is surrounded by newer developments and it is a very nice ground with a good atmosphere. You are closer to the players than at the large test grounds and the facilities are modern and good. However, as a visiting member of another county you will not be welcomed as most of the ground is reserved for Somerset members only, a policy different to every other county in cricket. Visiting members are therefore confined to a stand with a side on view of the action whilst Somerset members "follow the sun" taking up the vacant seats that they have access to. For this reason, I have marked it down as otherwise it is a nice venue and the Somerset members we met were universally friendly.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 5 2017, 3:09 PM 

That description sounds a bit dated. The old pavilion has gone.
Taunton tends to be pretty relaxed in my experience, which includes a 25 minute wait one time when the club hadn't printed enough tickets for a game against Notts and the gate man wandered off to the office to print off some more. I've been to all parts of the ground and can't honestly remember being asked for any accreditation at all.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 3:15 PM 

I've been to Taunton many times and i've never been refused access to nay part of the members facilities.
In my opinion its second only to Worcester for being one of the friendliest places to watch cricket in the Country..

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 5 2017, 5:12 PM 

For a ground that enjoys decent attendances, things can sometimes be a bit amateurish at Taunton, but over all I find it a delightful place for a day's cricket.
Worcester is also OK but less so than Somerset. I've had an experience where my dress sense has been challenged in the Hick Pavilion - an issue about how 'tailored' my shorts were. At the last 50 over game there I found admission pricey- £22 and no concessions. Much cheaper at Trent Bridge.
My award for most improved levels of friendliness - Edgbaston. The gatemen the are full of smiles, warm greetings and helpfulness.
Hove is also friendly and relaxed.

The Tyke award for least friendly ground in the country goes to Chelmsford. Grumpy groundsmen. Surly. Hostile support in the outer areas. Too 'clubby' by half in the pavilion.

(Login dpressed)

June 5 2017, 5:30 PM 

Unless things have changed the Somerset members only applies to one day matches, but it is probably 10 years since we were down there

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 5 2017, 6:02 PM 

It's ironic that one of Worcestershire's "shirt sponsors" is MB Insolvency. I think this year's price hike is meant to gain them some business.

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Taunton Hotel.

June 5 2017, 7:39 PM 

I can recommend Blorenge House Hotel . I stayed there in 2011 and it was the highlight of the trip. Yorkshire lost by ten wickets. I will be staying there come the weekend. It's about £90 a night.
A Buchan

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

5 minute walk

June 5 2017, 7:43 PM 

I forgot to say it is only a 5 minute walk from Blorenge House (swimming pool in back garden) to the Ground!
A Buchan

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk