<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Yorkshire Matt
(Login yorkshirematt)

New Stand

January 9 2017, 1:57 PM 

I understand the concerns shared on here around the stand. However my understanding is that the football stand is no longer fit for purpose and will increasingly become more costly each year to maintain. It's also my understanding that the stand is not deemed fit for purpose anymore for international cricket. So increasing maintenance costs with reducing revenue (no international cricket at Headingley) equals administration and potential disaster for Yorkshire Cricket.

I would imagine the new stand increases capacity, offers hospitality and conferencing and if it is true that ECB want to reduce test match grounds, we would be in line to be one of those.

I also imagine the economic impact on Leeds as a city and Yorkshire as a county would be significant if we lose international cricket. Media coverage, hotels, restaurants, retail, bars, transport, parking, commercial sponsorship value etc etc.

I'd be interested to see all the figures but personally I don't think we have an option other than to build the stand and speculate to accumulate. I've moaned for ages that I haven't been able to watch an Ashes test at Headingley. If we lose that altogether I'll be gutted.

Also that stand looks awful in my opinion.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

Re: New Stand

January 9 2017, 4:38 PM 

Agree with your post Matt.

As I read the situation - If we don`t build the new stand we lose International Cricket matches at Headingley which will make our debt impossible to pay off. By committing to Headingley and putting our trust in the management team we now have no alternative but to build the stand and get into even more debt. Apart from that the football stand is an eyesore which should have been demolished years ago.

Peter

dpressed
(Login dpressed)

January 9 2017, 9:54 PM 

Sadly I have to agree with the two previous posters. We have to either continue going for gold (international cricket) by rebuiding the football stand or 'do a Durham', go bust & end up in Division 2 with a points deduction and no international cricket.

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

January 10 2017, 12:31 PM 

I sort of feel that everyone is right on this, but everyone is wrong as well.

If the stand HAS to be rebuilt - because it's unsafe, it's condemned, it's not fit for purpose, it's not good enough for the World Cup, it's not good enough for The Ashes, it's an eyesore, Leeds economy & businesses will lose out, etc.

OK, but none of those are arguments for YCCC to stump up the cash via more debt.

Someone else, the ECB and/or the Leeds economy, need that stand to be rebuilt. Someone else needs to pay for it.

Pipedream Phil - I hear you say, have you been on the 9.2%s again?

Which I acknowledge.

But, I have a benign worldview. The ECB correctly encouraged new grounds to be built & developed to International standards. And, correctly wanted existing grounds to be upgraded to International standards. To do that, they introduced the Bidding Process. All with the best of intentions. But - it has lead to PERVERSE CONSEQUENCES of Counties plunging into unsustainable debt, being beholden to Sugar Daddies and no longer Members Clubs.

Counties have to borrow money they can't pay back to buy & develop their grounds, so that they can spend money they ain't got to put a campaign/bid together for International Cricket, which they might not win, but if they do - they can then PAY MORE MONEY THEY AIN'T GOT to host a game. PAY TO HOST - I repeat.

The risk is all in the wrong place. Durham's plight is the result. We need a we are where we are moratorium. A plan.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

This message has been edited by ball_sup on Jan 10, 2017 12:34 PM

(Login dpressed)

January 10 2017, 12:58 PM 

Sorry to disagree, but I'm certain the ECB don't give a damn about a county. I remember a member's meeting in the Long Room where someone from the club was moaning at us for not turning up to a test, which has been half empty. A S(l)Urey member pointed out that they would have sold out at the Oval. So why should the London based ECB bother to hall themselves 'up north' when they can get far more money from a test held locally?

Yes I know in the long term is will damage cricket, but as has been shown by the Sky deal the ECB only care about money today.

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

January 10 2017, 1:13 PM 

dpressed - you disagree that someone else other than YCCC should pay for the stand - am I reading you right? You'd prefer to look that gift horse in the mouth?

The ECB is just all the Counties sat around the same table.

I am the ECB. As a YCCC Member, I elect YCCC officials, they elect ECB officials.

...it's someone else what done it......

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

Papag
(Login Papag1)

January 10 2017, 2:42 PM 

As the stand will have joint usage Im sure the rugby side (Rhinos / Yorks Carnegie) will get much more financial benefit out of the eventual new build as they play more games and use it all year round than YCCC with higher attendances. So will the cost be reflected in this or is it a simple 50/50 split

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

January 10 2017, 8:12 PM 

I have to admit I've gone right from, great news! to, they must be mad! over this subject.

Lots of conflicting views from people, many of whom, like me, probably don't know the full story or where the real truth, if there is such an animal, lies.

I am at the stage now where I just hope those charged with the responsibility of managing both the Rugby and the Cricket side.

a. Are being truthful, are in full possession of the facts, and know what
they are doing.
b. Are acting in the best interest of both YCCC and Leeds Rugby, which
includes their supporters.
c. Are being honest with each other and not trying to gain an advantage in
terms of bearing the costs & hopefully sharing the profits.

As a YCCC member and fan of both the Rhino's and Yorkshire Carnegie I will be fascinated to know how it's going to be financed.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

January 10 2017, 9:02 PM 

Always seemed to me that absolutely everything had to go right to meet the 2019 deadline. Planning permission had to be very speedy, followed by a rapid tendering process and a build phase that was scheduled carefully to minimise disruption. I don't think the 2019 deadline is achievable even if the money is suddenly found overnight.

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Jan 10, 2017 9:23 PM

Danum
(Login Danum)

January 10 2017, 10:24 PM 

This thread serves to show that, as members, we are completely in the dark on the financial implications of this project and its attendant risks. The responsibility for this must rest with YCCC whose communication on the matter has been inadequate.

To take on further debt above the current level YCCC is required under its rules to obtain membership approval at a general meeting. It will have then to give a convincing and compelling case to overcome the fears and reservations expressed here. It will be interesting to see how this is handled at the 2017 AGM on 18th March.

Mark Smith
(Login spikeyboy60)

January 11 2017, 7:41 AM 

Not just an eyesore,it's constantly freezing cold...even in the height of Summer sad.gif

(Login dpressed)

January 11 2017, 10:29 AM 

BS you did read me wrong. My point was that the ECB will never pay for us to have a new stand as they don't care about the counties, just their income. If Yorkshire drop out of stagting tests then all well and good for them as it means they can spend more time in London.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

January 11 2017, 12:56 PM 

But BS does make a point that we often forget. The ECB is in the end a body that is controlled by the vote of counties (and ultimately by us). If a majority of counties want change then it is really in their hands. If clubs want a larger share of the international revenue pot (to spend on stands or whatever) then it is up to them to agitate and vote for it.

(Login Papag1)

January 12 2017, 4:05 PM 

from LCC Planning
The committee has approved the recommendation to defer and delegate the detail of the decision to the planning officers and both clubs look forward to finalising the details of the decision as soon as possible.

So further delays to allow for a hunt for more loans or maybe a cutback in the plans ?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

January 12 2017, 4:21 PM 

"Defer and delegate" means that some minor details need to be ironed out before final sign off, but from a practical point of view the scheme has been approved.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

January 12 2017, 5:16 PM 

If so then when will we hear how its being funded

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

January 12 2017, 6:53 PM 

Papag (Login Papag1)
Posted Jan 12, 2017 5:16 PM

"If so then when will we hear how its being funded"

Aye, there's the rub.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

January 12 2017, 9:37 PM 

I'm really not sure whether to stick or twist with this development.

Overall it needs to be built, we cant service the debt we have without the revenue it brings, or might bring with tests, T20 and franchise cricket, but we've got to be canny about who funds it and the terms we sign up to.

I'm possibly in a very small minority (possibly a minority of one) but I'm speaking up for the current thing. I love it. Headingley simply wont be the same without it. A quick bit of looking backwards, and I'd estimate I've watched something like 500 days play from the upper deck!! Its a magnificent view. I'll be very sad to see it go.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 12 2017, 11:18 PM 

The VIEW shouldn't go, merely the discomfort of getting it - and you might have to pay!

It IS good up there, but the cold puts me off. I estimate you're perhaps 20 yards closer to the action from there than from the other end.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

January 13 2017, 7:53 AM 

The upper football stand is where you'll most likely find me too. Given the choice between freezing and sunburn, I usually choose the former. I even enjoy the walk up through the rugby side, it's completely unique. If it's not safe I suppose it must come down. I just hope the new stand has the same feel about it, and even more importantly, that all parts are open access for all supporters.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk