<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: New Stand

January 13 2017, 9:26 AM 

There's an artist's impression of the cricket and rugby grounds, together with the new stand, rather cleverly superimposed on a photograph.
https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5333/sporting-clubs-welcome-headingley-decision

And, at the end of the piece, a more detailed look at the new south stand, suggesting a lot of seating just where we want it. Let's hope the Club resists the temptation to go down the debentures or boxes route, but they would be prime seats for a Test Match, especially for people who don't understand it will be freezing there.

After our 48-point deduction, it should make a great place to watch 2nd Division cricket. But I will still be in north-east upper.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

January 13 2017, 9:38 AM 

Isn't the alignment of the wicket incorrect in the bottom picture?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 13 2017, 10:05 AM 

Yes! Compare paintings of cricket by artists who can paint, but don't know cricket. Full of mistakes of this kind, lovely paintings spoiled for the cricket fan.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

January 13 2017, 10:22 AM 

The middle tier looks very much like a row of boxes to me. However I can live with that, the view from the top tier should be excellent, similar to the pavilion at Lord's or the Radcliffe Rd. stand at Trent Bridge. If a row of boxes will help to pay for the thing, so be it, but I hope they won't repeat their daft expectations of debenture holders they held when the Carnegie Thing went up. Indeed if I'd bought a debentured seat in the Carnegie I might be a bit miffed to see a better facility going up opposite. But then I suppose I'd probably be a bit of a twerp in the first place.

David
(Login dikaiopolis)

January 13 2017, 10:46 AM 

It looks big. I can't see them opening the whole thing for CC matches, they wouldn't pay for the extra stewarding.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

January 13 2017, 11:19 AM 

I think the "open-looking" middle tier is a restaurant with views over both pitches.
If so I wonder how the potential income form that will be shared - if at all.
There are a number of tricky issues to be resolved I'd have thought.
How will the costs of the development be shared?
That will follow through to answer the question I posed earlier.
A possible solution is to draw a line through the midpoint of the existing stand or wherever the current boundary between the rugby side & the cricket side is drawn.
The costs & future income could then be apportioned based on the respective areas of each side.
All of which begs the question where is the money coming from?
Until that is resolved it's all academic.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

January 13 2017, 1:07 PM 

From todays "Press".

"......But problems surrounding planning permission and the sale of nearby land to fund the scheme surfaced in November. Of the £38m, £18m still needs to be found......"

Much much more than I thought -- £18m to be found from somewhere!! I thought it was £3m.

Will we be in debt for £41M from next year? If so that is a completely unserviceable amount.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jan 15, 2017 6:09 PM

(Login davehelen1709)

January 13 2017, 1:55 PM 

I resent the last sentence of the post above. I am a debenture holder and did it because at the time the club was in a parlous financial state (no change there!) and I luckily had £3k to spare and wanted to do my bit. I invested in the knowledge that I would probably never get it back but felt I wanted to contribute to plug the gap. Financial naivety maybe. twerp no.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 13 2017, 2:14 PM 

OK, I apologise unreservedly, and good for you. As an investment in watching cricket it always struck me as very limited. If people contributed as a way of helping the club, they have my admiration and gratitude. Would you like me to remove it, or do you think I deserve to have to live with it?

(Login davehelen1709)

January 13 2017, 5:22 PM 

Not a problem, appreciate the response.

This message has been edited by davehelen1709 on Jan 13, 2017 5:23 PM

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

January 13 2017, 6:02 PM 

Thank you. I meant remove the sentence, not the pavilion by the way.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 13 2017, 7:45 PM 

Sometimes the first thought is the best one...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

January 17 2017, 8:44 PM 

Am I missing something or is this significant in terms of possible building work!

From YCCC email received today.

Quote:

The Saturday of the August Bank Holiday Investec Test Match between England and the West Indies has seen a surge in sales at the Early Bird rate. Single seats are now all that remain in the Trueman Enclose.

This is also a reminder that the Main Stand will be closed for this fixture, so seats behind-the-arm in the Trueman and North East are in demand.

Unquote:

(Login Martinh00)

January 18 2017, 9:20 AM 

Am I missing something or is this significant in terms of possible building work!

From YCCC email received today.

Quote:

The Saturday of the August Bank Holiday Investec Test Match between England and the West Indies has seen a surge in sales at the Early Bird rate. Single seats are now all that remain in the Trueman Enclose.

This is also a reminder that the Main Stand will be closed for this fixture, so seats behind-the-arm in the Trueman and North East are in demand.

Unquote:

I suppose it could be that the stand cannot be used for international games due to health and safety concerns?

Or it could just be an old piece of text copied from something they issued last year

I would like to think that it is that someone has given the club a huge cash gift and new stand here we come. Not sure if that is likely though!

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

New stand

January 18 2017, 10:59 AM 

There was never an intention to sell test match seats in the rugby stand because of the perceived likelihood that it would be unavailable.
Imagine selling 2000+ seats for each day and then having to reallocate the ticket holders to the White Rose Stand because the demolition crew had moved in.
As mentioned above, some parts of the stand have, in any case, been declared unfit for use.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: New stand

January 18 2017, 12:40 PM 

Agree JollyD. It was clearly stated as early as last September that no tickets would be sold for the stand for the test match, the ODI and the Roses T20 clash.

The original plan was that the plans would have been approved by now and demolition and building would have started. The delay
probably means that the demolition can commence, but not the re-building just yet.

I would think that there is no chance of anyone sitting in that stand this season for any matches.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

January 18 2017, 3:34 PM 

Seems sensible.

Only problem is that you can buy tickets for the main stand for the RLODI against South Africa? Main stand £75, Balcony £80.

No allocation of any seating for the Roses T20 match yet.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

January 18 2017, 8:35 PM 

Well I'm torn. It is an eyesore and needs to go to keep international cricket in Yorkshire, but it still offers a great view behind the bowler's arm, especially in the top tier. I may have to join the rush for the NE upper this season, with apologies to any long standing patrons of that part of the ground.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 19 2017, 5:54 PM 

I'm sure the new stand will also offer a great view too when complwted

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk