<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

GEOFFREY BOYCOTT | England batsmen need to be more old-fashioned

November 30 2016 at 1:46 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

"The England team for the third Test only contained three genuine recognised batsmen in Alastair Cook, Joe Root and Haseeb Hameed. It was a selection that was a recipe for failure." - Geoffrey Boycott

Article

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: GEOFFREY BOYCOTT | England batsmen need to be more old-fashioned

November 30 2016, 8:06 AM 

I think he needs to add Bairstow to that list unless he isn't included as the keeper.

But I agree to an extent. Stokes is ideal for 6 and has shown signs of defensive improvement.

The problem positions are 4 and 5.
I really don't like Ali in the top 6.

We have no obvious standouts. I would be tempted to go for Gubbins at 3 if they feel he can convert from opener. Hugely impressive batsmanand compliments the left-right-left in the top 3.

I like Root at 4. If feels right to me.

I would go got another youngster in Clarke at 5. It's a youthful line up and only the selectors will know if those 2 young lads are ready.

However, I see no value in playing an average player and would rather play a young lad of great promise and stick with then in the hope they nature in time for the Ashes 2017.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 30 2016, 8:33 AM 

It was telling that Baylis said he had not seen Gubbins or Jennings so was reliant on the selectors.

That suggests he failed to watch any of the final CC game at Lords which is disappointing and negligent in my view.

Edit . And explains why Dawson over Leach as Bayliss has seen him before.

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Nov 30, 2016 6:03 PM

CB
(Login BoomerC)

He called it again...

December 1 2016, 3:03 PM 

One must applaud Mr Boycott, no sitting on the fence like so many other of his test match colleagues, says it as he sees it and more often than not gets it spot on!

Keep doing the business Sir Geoffrey!! 😁

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: He called it again...

December 1 2016, 4:30 PM 

Well, if Boycott gets his way of batsmen occupying the crease a lot more and 4 day tests there'll be a helluva lot of draws!

CB
(Login BoomerC)

December 1 2016, 7:04 PM 

Rare now in these days of 'hit out or get out,' that we see a batsman of Boycotts' caliber adjust to the situation and occupy the crease for a day or more in order to stave off certain defeat ?

A forgotten art !

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 1 2016, 10:32 PM 

And yet, in the second Test, England attempted to do just that - and were praised for the attempt, even though it failed.

South Africa attempted an even more defensive Test-saving exercise in India, scoring at 1 run per over for well over a day. They too achieved nothing but heroic failure....but they did make the attempt, against the modern trend.

We tend to remember the successful rearguards, historically Watson and Bailey (63 years ago!) at Lord's and Atherton and Russell in S Africa. I hope it never goes out of cricket, and I'm equally glad that the real bore-draw is becoming less common.

Calls for four-day Tests are half-witted, because a day of rain would condemn most games to a draw, and they would also make it impossible for the team that trailed badly on first innings to fight back and win. Unless, of course, you can get them to bowl 100 - 120 overs in a day, as they used to!

CB
(Login BoomerC)

December 1 2016, 10:58 PM 

Agreed Dave

This message has been edited by BoomerC on Dec 1, 2016 10:59 PM

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

December 1 2016, 11:10 PM 

I think it's about time they let bygones be bygones and got Pietersen back in. I know they've had issues in the past but he's still one of the best batsmen in the world.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

December 2 2016, 10:14 AM 

he's still one of the best batsmen in the world.

Really? Last first class game over a year ago, and scores of 5, 24, 0*, 15, 37, 21, 18, 53, 34, and 26 in assorted T20s since February this year.

There is absolutely no evidence that he is still a decent batsman, let alone "one of the best... in the world".

(Login ExileReturns)

December 2 2016, 11:46 AM 

"I think it's about time they let bygones be bygones and got Pietersen back in. I know they've had issues in the past but he's still one of the best batsmen in the world."

W G Grace would be a better bet still, but if he cannot be resurrected and the tomb at the bottom of Crystal Palace Hill is empty, then the selectors should spend every effort to find the whereabouts the "The Lion of Kent", Alfred Mynn.

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

December 3 2016, 2:13 PM 

"Really? Last first class game over a year ago, and scores of 5, 24, 0*, 15, 37, 21, 18, 53, 34, and 26 in assorted T20s since February this year.

There is absolutely no evidence that he is still a decent batsman, let alone "one of the best... in the world"."

If you reel off Alistair Cook's last few scores in test matches they're probably not be that good either. But as they say form is temporary, class is permanent and there's no getting away from the fact that Cook is still one of, if not the best, opening bats in test cricket. Ditto, I'm sure it wouldn't take Pietersen too long to come back up to scratch in the test arena.

Boycs was out of test cricket for 3 years and came back successfully when he was in his 30s, as did Gooch who was even better on his return, and older! I'd say Pietersen has much more natural batting ability than either of those two (although I'm sure Boys would disagree!) and I'd be confident he'd provide much more in England's higher middle order than the current lot.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk