<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tour Replacements

November 30 2016 at 9:46 AM
Guest  (Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Jennings and Dawson called up for Hameed and Ansari.

.....can't say I'd have gone with either!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

In't cricket difficult

November 30 2016, 5:46 PM 

From a pure cricket point of view I'm pleased they have gone for Jennings, I think he is the best option to replace an opener.

On the other hand, pity he isn't right handed, and perhaps more controversially, pity he is a South African and did not come through our system.

There is a thread explaining that Dawson has the right attitude whereas Leach might not yet have the right stuff to be picked by England.

That would indicate that you just can't go and pick the best player, you have to subject them to a psychological assessment!.

Geoff Boycott comes up with an article saying we should pick more proper batters rather than crash bang wallop merchants. But if we did pick 6 steady away batsmen would anybody come and watch!

No wonder so many people make a living commenting on cricket and others, like us, can't resist sticking in their five pence worth.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Nov 30, 2016 5:46 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: In't cricket difficult

November 30 2016, 6:00 PM 

Nothing wrong with Jennings or Stoneman for me. Div 1 runs count double having seen Duckett on the test arena.

But Dawson is not even the best spinner at his county. Three dimensions rule clearly. We need bowlers who can bat to paper over cracks in the top order

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 30 2016, 7:14 PM 

Geoff B - surely anyone who likes proper cricket would go to watch Root, Bairstow and Stokes bat? And if the top six also included Cook, Habeeb and steady man AN Other, that's just a well balanced order, 3 of each.

Trouble is, people in general - and Indians in particular - have no understanding that it is the BATTLE that makes cricket great, as opposed to the BATTING, in the sense of hitting fours and sixes. There has been some brilliant cricket played in the three Tests so far, and not all by India, but the grounds have been 90% empty.

It is even more worrying when the SELECTORS don't seem to understand the difference either. But give them credit for recognising in the Lancashire kid the age-old qualities.

There's a verse in a John Arlott poem:

There was a wisdom so informed your bat
To understanding of the bowler’s trade
That each resource of strength or skill he used
Seemed but the context of the stroke you played.

The poem was written "to John Berry Hobbs" and a wonderful appreciation it is, from a great writer to a great player. It is a bit fanciful of me to begin to compare Habeeb with Hobbs, yet, but I thought instantly of that 'wisdom informing his bat' phrase when I watched the youngster tackling the spinners in his very first Test. The contrast with Duckett could not have been more stark.

I think Habeeb's greater struggle will come facing the quick W Indies and S African bowlers this summer, on bouncier pitches, then the Aussies away, if all goes well for him. He needs to sort those low hands, and I am NOT being wise after the event - see photo and caption.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/27420663025/in/album-72157669080516395/

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 30 2016, 8:15 PM 

Micheal Vaughan did mention his hands being very low when he got hit in the second test. There's no hiding place these days for either major or minor defects in test players technique with the dreaded super slo mo camera.

Trouble is do enough people like proper cricket!. Those players will be playing at Headingley versus the Windies next year. We might get a couple of days with a decent crowd but I can't imagine any disappointed customers will be turned away.

Even if the match was on a knife edge on the final day with a full days play expected, entry at a fiver, a free pie and a pint for everyone, and the sunshine cracking the flags they couldn't fill it.

Club cricket sized crowd at the recent New Zealand/Pakistan test. It's a worry.

Sorry Dave, should have said super slo mo and your photo's

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Nov 30, 2016 8:19 PM

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 30 2016, 9:13 PM 

From what I've seen I'd have gone Gubbins and Leach.

Within reason, attendances at overseas test matches dont matter that much providing UK TV sports subscribers keep paying up.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 1 2016, 8:37 PM 

Jennings scored a century today, o.k it was a one day game against the UAE. It might not prove much but does show at least that he isn't completely out of form.

I do have my misgivings because I don't really think of him as an English player yet but I saw Durham several times last season and I was impressed, as well as being exasperated from a Yorkshire standpoint, by his batting.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Jack Leach has a dodgy action!!!!

December 21 2016, 5:24 PM 

Well that could be one mystery cleared up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38376187

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Jack Leach has a dodgy action!!!!

December 21 2016, 7:06 PM 

Geoff B (Login Coastalview)
Posted Dec 21, 2016 5:24 PM

Well that could be one mystery cleared up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38376187

How convenient that this came out on the 4th day of the latest debacle.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk