<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

2016 CHRISTMAS Book Lists

December 1 2016 at 4:09 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

So, which cricket-related books are on your respective Christmas lists? Mini-reviews welcome.

A few that have been mentioned here or have been well-reviewed in the press:

Eight of the Best

Skyld Berry - Cricket: The Game of Life
John Fuller - All Wickets Great and Small Steve Cowton Review
Gideon Haigh - Stroke of Genius
John Hotten - The Meaning of Cricket
Dave Morton - Sweet Shires
Mark Nicholas - A Beautiful Game
John Stern - The Periodic Table of Cricket
Jonathon Trott - Unguarded
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

Re: 2016 CHRISTMAS Book Lists

December 2 2016, 10:08 AM 

Just bought Steve Waughs book Out of My Comfort Zone 2006 publication date for £3 from the British Heart Foundation shop in Windsor. 814 pages but looks a good long read happy.gif

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: 2016 CHRISTMAS Book Lists

December 2 2016, 10:12 AM 

Difficult to imagine there being many laughs in Jonathan Trott's book...

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Christmas 2016 book lists

December 2 2016, 12:38 PM 

How do you mean Steve? Is that a dig at Jonathan's mental problems?

This message has been edited by kevinowens on Dec 2, 2016 12:39 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Christmas 2016 book lists

December 2 2016, 4:37 PM 

No - not at all.
Its a dig at the ugly dour graceless shot-less way he used to compile his runs...

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Christmas 2016 Book List

December 7 2016, 1:16 AM 

My first choice for a Christmas cricket book gift for any follower of the County Championship would be Summer's Crown by Stephen Chalke - surely the definitive history of the world's most compelling league championship. Well illustrated and with a great records and stats and section.

Alex
""

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Christmas 2016 Book List

December 7 2016, 7:20 PM 

If not already read than Absolutely Foxed by Graeme Fowler is a must read

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Christmas 2016 Book List

December 7 2016, 7:57 PM 

I'll endorse the 'Summer's Crown' choice. Fantastically researched and comprehensive, but not a dour read at all. Superb!

More of a stocking-filler, try 'Snow Stopped Play' by Graham Coster. It has the merit of containing one of my photos, and was the inspiration for my own book. Similar size.

There's also 'An Ordinary Spectator', quite a heavy and serious read, by John Rigg, who posts on this forum; not just cricket, this one, plenty of rugby league and other sports, too. Thoughtful and painstaking, but nicely written.

Cricket Yorkshire
(Login cricketyorkshire)

From Bradford to Lehmann

December 8 2016, 6:07 PM 

Real range on there Alex...as it happens, I've just put together a shortlist of my own for Cricket Yorkshire, if anyone on WRF is looking for some winter reading:
http://cricketyorkshire.com/cricket-books-to-watch-out-for/

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

Re: From Bradford to Lehmann

December 9 2016, 1:10 PM 

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: From Bradford to Lehmann

December 11 2016, 11:26 AM 

"Twirlymen" by Amol Rajan - very highly recommended.

Rajan is a London-born journalist, still a young man in his early 30s, who had dreams of playing cricket as a spin bowler. He got as far as the fringes of the Surrey Under 17 team, but was dropped for being, basically, a fat boy! Then, he was advised to give it up by a surgeon, or be crippled for life.

Fortunately for him, and for us, he was very clever. Twirlymen is a wonderfully researched but quirky read, full of opinions and judgements, but also highly informative. I can relate to that. My book, my opinions. If you don't like them, write one of your own!

If you read only one book this winter......

(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Chistmas book list

December 15 2016, 3:49 AM 

What about some non-cricket sports titles?

I've always thought The Football Man by Arthur Hopcraft was one of the masterpieces of football writing. I've read it several times.

As well the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe (an apt name if there ever was one) certainly was a great read especially to a former marathoner like yours truly. (3:32.59)

Another terrific read is The Sporting Life by David Storey. A searing insight into rugby league. And not a bad movie starring Richard Harris.

And it doesn't get much better than Fever Pitch the marvelous study of soccer obsession by Nick Hornby.
""

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: Chistmas book list

December 15 2016, 10:24 AM 

Very strangely in the last few weeks I have read both the 'Football Man' by Arthur Hopcraft and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe and both are highly recommended.

Other sporting books I would recommend are:

King of the World by David Remnick
The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe McGuinness
The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton
The Damned United by David Pierce
Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper
The Glory Game by Hunter Davies
Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing by Donald McRae

A few cricket ones I enjoyed most are:

A Lot Of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes
Geoff Boycott: A Cricketing Hero by Leo McKinstry
Jack Hobbs by Leo McKinstry
We'll Get 'Em In Sequins by Max Davidson - Was unsure I would enjoy this one as it combines social history and famous Yorkshire cricketers. I don't think the combination will work for everyone but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Made the names I have heard of but too young to see play more human then in other biographies I have read.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk