๐Ÿ 67 Mark Boucher 1998
๐Ÿ 66 Adam Gilchrist 2004

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Jonny Bairstow | Top of the Shop in 2016

December 3 2016, 8:13 AM 

It would be useful to know the number of games each of the players had.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 3 2016, 9:01 AM 

Pretty good company and I'm happy with the bald facts.

How many games, what was the opposition, who did his team have in their bowling attack,! There's a lot of things that influence how many dismissals a wicket keeper takes.

Rejoice, he's one of ours, its happening now and not in some supposed golden era of the past.

Stick his runs on as well and you've got something very special.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 3 2016, 9:27 AM 

Yes he must have played a lot of games but to do so he had to be fit and good enough to be selected consistently.

And of course to enable this he has had to have proper tests away from the test side which I am sure everyone supports and understands throughout the season....

I'm more impressed with his runs total than his dismissals when you factor in the low place in the batting order and the keeping duties on top.

pscotty
(Login pscotty)

Jonny's stats

December 3 2016, 9:39 AM 

Some more JB stats!

CriInfo has a list of test wicketkeepers with the most dismissals. Jonny is 50th in the list with 86 dismissals in 19 tests, thatโ€™s an average of 2.324 dismissals per innings. No other keeper in the top 100 has a higher dismissals per innings โ€“ the next being de Koch at 2.272. In fact, Jonnyโ€™s 2.324 is only bettered by a few keepers who played 3 or fewer tests.
Only 19 tests, so a couple with few dismissals would soon drop his average, but so far impressive.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;keeper=1;orderby=dismissals_per_inns;size=100;template=results;type=fielding

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Jonny's stats

December 3 2016, 10:33 AM 

For Old Feller.

Boucher 13
Gilchrist 14
Bairstow 15 so far
Healy 16.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Jonny's stats

December 3 2016, 12:12 PM 

Hasn't Jonny done well? I suppose the dismissals/match stat is boosted by England's reliance on seam and swing during his tenure, but he is continuing to take catches - plus the odd stumping - off the spinners in India.

I would have guessed that at the top of the list would have been Rod Marsh (keeping to Lillee and Thomson) and Jeff Dujon (keeping to the fastest and nastiest attack the world has ever seen).

I would have guessed wrong!

I suppose you ultimately judge a keeper by 1) his general tidiness, 2)how few chances he misses and 3) how many outstanding ones he takes, and 4) by the way he energises and drives the whole fielding effort. You certainly can't fault Jonny on this fourth factor. Great enthusiasm, fantastic fitness, and a decent non-confrontational manner with it.

Jimmy Binks would have scored high on 1 and 2, like Bob Taylor. Alan Knott the same, with more of the 3 factor. Jack Russell strong at 3 and 4, probably?

Factor 5 would be the batting, and I don't mind if that's just 20% of the keeper's perceived worth. It goes without saying that Jonny is the supreme England example, better than Stewart and Prior, good as they were.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk