<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ODI & T20 Squads

December 5 2016 at 7:13 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Very strong squads, perhaps a bit bowler heavy for the T20's maybe.

No rest for anybody, except poor old Ben Duckett who is really out of favour. I'm pretty certain he will come back in again, at least in T20.

England ODI squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

T20 squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Tymal Mills (Sussex), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), David Willey (Yorkshire).

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: ODI & T20 Squads

December 5 2016, 7:48 PM 

How we've managed to arrive at a situation where we've picked Duckett for tests but not limited overs is beyond me.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 5 2016, 7:55 PM 

Who should Duckett be in the squad instead of?

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 5 2016, 8:18 PM 

In the Guardian today, Vic Marks suggested JB could do with a rest and selected Duckett rather than JB.

With a lot of international white ball cricket in 2016, if the 5 YCCC players cement their places in the England team, this will inevitably impact on our season. Its hard not to want the players to do well but......

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 5 2016, 8:50 PM 

Good shout by Marks but some players don't want a rest, especially in January, and I suspect JB is one of those. He's not in the T20 squad anyway.

In the T20 squad I'm not sure of the value of Tymal Mills. Bit of a surprise package and shock jock for a couple of games but a bit of a one trick pony.
Too many bowlers for me and I think Duckett would have given a better balance in case Roy or Hales are injured.

Ibby3
(Login ibby3)

December 6 2016, 1:01 PM 

Can you explain how you think Tymal Mills is a one trick pony pls Geoff?

Personally think he has potential to be one of best 20/20 bowlers around. Left arm, rapid, and bowls various different slower balls. It's just a shame he has had such bad luck with injuries.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 6 2016, 5:24 PM 

I'd be delighted if you're right and would like to see him do well. He was good in the televised T20 v Somerset I think it was, though he did pull up injured.
Don't think he has done much since then, he is now travelling the world taking his opportunities in the T20 circus, good luck to him.

Now he has lost the element of surprise he is going to need quick pitches to make the most of his changes of speed, especially against international class batsmen. On slow Indian pitches I think he will struggle, though I would be surprised if he gets a game anyway.

He doesn't bring much else to the game, can't bat, so-so fielder and of course liable to pull up injured anytime. I would put him behind Plunkett and Jordan if I was picking an England team, and there aren't many I wouldn't pick before Jordan.

I was looking for someone to make way for Duckett and in a strong squad he's the one for me.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 6 2016, 7:23 PM 

His "one trick" in the Somerset game was to bowl Chris Gayle with 93mph Yorkers. Am not sure he was injured in the match either.
One thing you can't coach is raw pace and he seems to have it in spades.

CB
(Login BoomerC)

Eoin Morgan ?

December 6 2016, 7:41 PM 

Prior to the Bangladesh tour, I was always a big fan of Morgan both in green and then as his career continued to flourish, his understandable transfer into England colours, a personal choice vindicated by his improved performances as an international cricketer and subsequent promotion to skipper of the ODI & T20 sides, high accolades indeed.

So with this in mind, I was very disappointed with his rather erroneous decision to vacate his throne and refuse to tour with England to Bangladesh? This has somewhat diluted my once vaunted opinion of his scruples and abilities, especially as he was the leader of his team at the aforementioned shorter versions of the game! ( Couldn't see the late, great Brian Close giving it a second thought ? )

Obviously the selectors have stood by him but I would have thought it likely they must have lost faith in his leadership credentials to a degree and even pondered if his position as captain was tenable, after all, isn't the skipper supposed to lead by example ?

Thoughts ?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Eoin Morgan ?

December 6 2016, 8:05 PM 

Strauss did say Morgan and Hales would not face any penalty for not going to Bangladesh.

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Whereas they have been supported in the past I expect when next either of them face any pressure due to lack of runs they could well be dropped.

Hales might get back in but suspect it will be the end for Morgan in an England shirt.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

December 6 2016, 8:19 PM 

You'd think with all the military training the ECB do, the players would be able to handle a potentially dangerous situation. Maybe they need more!
I notice the Yorkshire squad have been training up at Catterick this week.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 6 2016, 8:48 PM 

They are welcome to Catterick in December.

Has there been any announcement about any warm weather training this year!
Or are finances too tight!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk