December 7 2016 at 4:24 PM
Martin  (Login Martinh00)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

jennings

December 7 2016, 4:37 PM 

bad move if Yorkshire are looking 1. left handed 2. England looking .

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: jennings

December 7 2016, 5:02 PM 

Hopefully he will sign.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 7 2016, 5:10 PM 

I'm not reading much into Moxon's comments. It's just his turn to make a pro England comment on the upcoming test. Good player but not a good fit for us.

I don't think playing for Durham will harm his England prospects and he says he is happily settled in a house in Chester-le-Street.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 7 2016, 5:58 PM 

He had a fantastic season last summer but up until then had been extremely average. I genuinely don't think he's better than our current left handed openers. Borthwick was the Durham player we needed but unfortunately we were gazumped by Surrey.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

jennings

December 7 2016, 6:41 PM 

he doesn't keep wicket .

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 7 2016, 7:09 PM 

A top order batsman is a far bigger priority than a keeper.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 7 2016, 7:15 PM 

I mentioned the need to replace Gale and Hodd after the season had ended.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 7 2016, 7:33 PM 

Is Moxon talking about Jennings because he took him to Durham when he was their
Director of Cricket?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 7 2016, 7:40 PM 

Hodd hasn't left or retired, he won't be replaced.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 7 2016, 7:48 PM 

I've seen a lot of Jennings (two double centuries for a kick-off) and plenty of Borthwick, and I know which I would prefer...and he's tall and South African!

Clearly he would strengthen any side. It took him some time to adjust to the demands of first class cricket but, sometimes, if you have had to work at something it stands you in good stead. Compare Duckett. However, though it might be good for Yorkshire to have him, would it be good for cricket?

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 7 2016, 8:10 PM 

Not sure how an elegant young lad whose averaged over 60 last season and who got player of the year and at the pitches at Durham and scored a cracking score in the final of the T20 is a bad fit...

And he can bowl a bit.

Having said that, the fact he's now with England means he's the opposite of what we need.

I would like a regular overseas or worst case kolpak in the Rudolph mould ten odd years ago. Easier said than done I suppose.

Too late for a new keeper as don't think any are available.

We must stick with Leaning and hope he comes good next season.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 7 2016, 8:17 PM 

I don't know. Kolpaks's seem to be 10 a penny at the moment and rumour is there's plenty more to come. Maybe Yorkshire will look down that path.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 7 2016, 9:36 PM 

Don't like to asset strip other counties. I'd rather Jennings stay with Durham and we develop our own players. (For what its worth I'm not convinced he's test match class or any better than Lyth and Lees).

I'm happy with the current squad with the addition of a high quality overseas signing - a mix of Pujara, Head and Lehamann would be my preference. We may, or may not, win the title but any success has real meaning. Cheque book success is always hollow.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Dec 7, 2016 9:43 PM

(Login Jacobus24)

December 7 2016, 10:12 PM 

Asset stripping starts from the very top with the ECB. I don't feel having Ballance and Brooks makes success more hollow. Gale was unable to drop himself last season due to the lack of competition in the squad so now he's retired the problem could still exist for Leaning and Rhodes.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 8 2016, 10:14 AM 

I don't find any success we have had with Ballance (who I think is regarded by ECB rules as coming from the Yorkshire academy) and Brooks hollow. But would find it a slightly hollow if say 9 or 10 were signings from other counties.

Well done to Keaton Jennings for his century on debut.
But not 100% sure he is English. Born and brought up in South Africa.
Not sure if he qualifies for England by the residency qualifications or he has an English parent.
That aside though scoring a century on your debut is a fantastic achievement and sure he or England have not broke any rules.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 8 2016, 10:46 AM 

Asset stripping was mentioned and the club signed Ballance from Derbyshire.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 8 2016, 10:57 AM 

I think he had potential but don't know he was much of an asset for Derbyshire. He did get his list A debut for Derbyshire but his first class debut was at Yorkshire.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 8 2016, 11:29 AM 

I doubt Derbyshire will see it like that.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 8 2016, 11:46 AM 

Derbyshire will consider Ballance as one that got away, but can we be sure that he would have been as successful had he stayed there? We recognised the talent and were prepared to take him on at a very early stage in his career. Derbyshire have a pretty poor record of late of producing international players it has to be said.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk