<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Late developers.

December 7 2016 at 9:11 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Just been looking at the Lancashire twitter feed. It's not illegal!

I wanted to see if there was any reaction to Wagner joining Essex or news of Giles moving to Warwickshire is my excuse. Anyway I did see a lovely picture of a very young Haseeb Hameed in 2008 receiving a young cricketer award and it got me wondering.

Does anybody know any cricketers who came late to the game and had a successful first class or even International career, or is it impossible. By late I mean older than 18.

Was thinking of a cricketing equivalent of Jamie Vardy, although that really doesn't work as he was with Sheffield Wednesday as a junior, he just didn't make the grade at that time.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
remit 1
(Login remit1)

A late developer

December 7 2016, 9:22 PM 

Jack Iverson

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Late developers.

December 7 2016, 9:28 PM 

Good question. Counties now have very extensive links with cricket clubs so any junior with potential is quickly 'seen' by the county club. Its hard to go under the radar.

Darren G was relatively late on the scene or at least as a 16 year old wasn't seen as having superstar potential. Gavin Hamilton?

Intersting last season I saw Yorks 2nds at York v Durham. I'm not wholly sure of the circumstances but the York CC groundsman played at short notice and this was his 2nd team debut, Liam McKendry aged 26, and he made a 100. Could be worth keeping an eye on what happens next.

EDIT: Just seen the post above by Remit - Jack Iveson, highly recommend the Gideon Haigh book 'Mystery spinner' outstanding.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Dec 7, 2016 9:30 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 7 2016, 10:37 PM 

I had never heard of Jack Iverson, must read the Mystery spinner.

He seems a bit like Vardy in that he obviously played cricket at school then either got fed up with it or didn't make the grade. Sounds like he played while he was in the army and that may have got him going again.

The services is somewhere you can pick up a new sport. I remember putting down rugby (thinking Rugby league obviously coming from Leeds) as my preferred sport when I joined the Navy.

I spent several sports afternoon struggling with a different beast altogether. I didn't subsequently rise to greatness alas, I changed my preference to cross-country.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 7 2016, 11:40 PM 

Iverson was not only in the army, he was in a war! Stuck at some outpost in New Guinea, I seem to remember reading, where the lads messed around with a table tennis ball, which is easy to spin, of course. Having huge hands, it seems he had no problem transferring the skills to a cricket ball.

From descriptions, his mystery ball was similar to Ashwin's caroom ball. Certainly, the England players of the time - who were very used to facing spin - struggled to pick it.

The only other relatively old player I can remember was Jason Lewry, the Sussex left-armer. Apparently a Sussex XI was playing Lewry's club in aid of the benefit of one of the players, and Lewry ran through the top order, despite having only a four-pace run up! Invitation followed.

[I've just checked. He was 23 when he made his first class debut, which is a few years short of ancient.]

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

December 8 2016, 8:04 AM 

Doesn't Jack Brooks fit these requirements??

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 8 2016, 8:58 AM 

I seem to recall that Boycs was a relatively late developer in terms of first class cricket making his debut in 1962 at the age of 21 & a half.
Not ancient but by no means a teenage prodigy.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

December 8 2016, 11:26 AM 

Jack Brooks.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 8 2016, 12:41 PM 

Could Steve Kirby be considered in this category or is he more a journeyman who came good later in his career?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 8 2016, 1:41 PM 

Brooks and Kirkby are reasonable examples. Perhaps Peter Hartley fits the bill?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 8 2016, 5:17 PM 

Looks to me like most of those mentioned have had some kind of grounding in cricket during their school days, have moved on to something else and then come back to it and been more successful second time around.

I suppose it is very difficult to find someone who hasn't tried it as a child in this country.

Interesting programme on radio 4 today in the Crossing continents series, Cricket, Colour and Quotas in South Africa.

Gary Kirsten talks about players who haven't been exposed to cricket until their teens and then have picked up a ball and shown natural talent. I suppose you would have a better chance as a late starter as a bowler.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084d7b6

(Login dpressed)

December 8 2016, 8:43 PM 

Bob Appleyard didn't sign to Yorkshire until he was 26

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 8 2016, 9:19 PM 

Just awaiting delivery of 'No Coward Soul' for my christmas, well maybe January, reading funnily enough.

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Re: Late Developers

December 8 2016, 10:40 PM 

DM - Just picked up this thread. Wasn't there a certain 'Flat' Jack Simmons from your side of the great divide who didn't make his debut in first class cricket until he was almost 28 ?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 9 2016, 12:14 AM 

But Simmons was a league pro (Blackpool, I think), not exactly an unknown. Two names we might consider are Ronnie Burnett and, from the crappy side of the hills, Joe Blackledge who played just one season of first class cricket, aged 34.

The great Eddie Paynter (my father's assessment) was also a late starter at first class level.

But none of these was a latecomer to the game of cricket itself. I suspect Iverson is the best call so far.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 9 2016, 4:38 PM 

I think Dirk Nannes has a bit of a shout. Not sure how much he played as a youth though. This is his profile on Cricinfo:

Dirk Nannes self-confessed "accidental cricketer", for most of Dirk Nannes' adult life, cricket has been an afterthought. He used to play a couple of club games at the start of the season, a handful at the end, and in between travel the world pursuing his other passion, skiing. He was no run-of-the-mill ski bum - he competed for several years in World Cup skiing events and narrowly missed selection for the Australian Winter Olympics team in the late 1990s. But when he started to take his cricket seriously, he quickly grabbed the attention of Victoria's selectors. It led to a first-class debut at 29 in 2005-06, and in his second game he suffered the group humiliation of watching Queensland storm to 6 for 900 declared in the Pura Cup final.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

December 9 2016, 7:46 PM 

Iain Wardlaw - looks like he was 26 on Yorkshire debut, later played for Scotland, now gone back to his old job and probably still playing league cricket.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lancashire website

December 27 2016, 4:17 PM 

Took longer than I thought but Giles has finally extricated himself from Lancashire and made his way back to Warwickshire.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk