<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Kolpaks

December 8 2016 at 12:22 AM
WS55  (Login WibseySimon55)

What happens to Kolpaks after March 2019?

Anyone have any idea?

For reference:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/299952.html

Or for those of a more technical disposition:

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/liste.jsf?language=en&num=C-438/00

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Kolpaks

December 8 2016, 7:59 AM 

Given the present state of affairs, whatever their fate, it's likely to be a relatively unconsidered consequence of whatever decisions are made for the bigger picture, and they will be an ill-thought out shambles.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 8 2016, 8:39 AM 

I always think sportsmen will find a way round any restrictions. They might have to start as a club professional and make it on residency rules.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 8 2016, 8:59 AM 

I find it bizarre that some who voted remain aren't big supporters of Kolpaks, the rule change should be about choosing from quality instead of having a mass quantity available.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 8 2016, 9:15 AM 

Jacobus24 I hope people who voted remain or leave based their decision on more then overseas rules for county cricket.

Think a good compromise for Kolpacks would be they should be allowed to see out their contracts and after those have expired they must be considered as an overseas player.
Think Derbyshire have just signed Hardus Viljoen as a Kolpack on a three year contract. If for example we are out of the EU in two years he should be allowed to see out his final year as a non overseas player but if re signs after he would be an overseas player.
Hope I have explained that clearly.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 8 2016, 9:40 AM 

There are tens of thousands of small, medium and large legal implications of leaving the EU, which is why as a starting point the government will have to enshrine all existing EU legislation into UK law and then choose what to unpick at its leisure. Rewriting this legislation would otherwise take decades of parliamentary time and it isn't going to happen. Freedom of movement does appear to be highish up on the political agenda though, so you would imagine that this would be dealt with sooner rather than later - but there is no reason why the UK could not choose to continue with a kolpak type arrangement but limit it to certain professions.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

none english players

December 8 2016, 9:41 AM 

all the fuss over kolpack players when over the years England have played south African players with no fuss just look at our own Garry Ballance and Keaton Jennings and so on .

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: none english players

December 8 2016, 12:49 PM 

For me it's not about where the player is born. Personally speaking I have 3 different South Asian countries and 3 British Countries accounting for me up to my Grandparent levels. I was born and raised in Yorkshire but I won't have anyone tell me I am anything otherwise.

I think the question more comes into to moral compass of who developed you. Morgan is Irish but in my view was developed by Middlesex. That said his famous wrist movement he puts down to his Gaelic upbringing.

In terms of 'Kolpak' I see a huge different in the likes of a Rudolph or the lad whose signed for Derbyshire who have no link to this country other than opportunity...Compared to the likes of Jennings or Pieterson who have an English parent and were developed from their late teens in this Country.

Personally speaking I could understand if Jennings considered himself English because of his mum. Though I consider myself a proud Englishman I have a big soft spot for a country in my paternal heritage and though it would never reach the love I hold for England, I do consider it my spiritual home.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

December 13 2016, 1:15 PM 

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

December 21 2016, 8:12 AM 

Thanks for that CaravanShaker. Very interesting and helpful article.

Amused to read " ... still waiting for a reply from the Home Office."

Like the rest of the country.

My guess is that the law will stay in force when the proposed so-called Great Repeal Bill brings all existing EU-wide legislation into UK domestic law. It will then take its turn in the queue for Parliamentary time to be available debate and change it. The ECB will be free to change its own rules, but that will be subject to a legal challenge by any individual or county until such time as the law may be changed.

So, unless it becomes a political priority for some odd reason, it will be likely to stay around for ten years or more.

County cricket as we know it may have gone to its g(G)rave(s) by then ...

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

January 5 2017, 11:23 AM 

I see Hampshire have signed both Abbott and Rossouw from South Africa as Kolpak players.

Congratulation to the ECB for shafting over one of the top producers of English talent in the country for this alternative!

(Login Jacobus24)

January 5 2017, 12:51 PM 

Hampshire clearly needed recruits or else they will end up being relegated.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

January 5 2017, 1:13 PM 

According to Cricinfo, more South Africans are pondering Kolpak deals, not just these two.

(Login Jacobus24)

January 5 2017, 1:57 PM 

The primary focus for clubs isn't to create players for England, had Hampshire been relegated then they would still have needed better quality to get promoted and then compete in division one.

January 5 2017, 2:30 PM 

"The primary focus for clubs isn't to create players for England"

Then why should the ECB hand out close to £50m to the counties per annum?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

January 5 2017, 3:16 PM 

Producing talent from within for themselves, and, if they're good enough, for England, is exactly what the counties' primary focus should be in return for ECB handouts. Counties who field Kolpaks should face a financial penalty.

January 5 2017, 3:25 PM 

100% agree Seadog.

How difficult can it be for the ECB to say that for every non English qualified player (above the 1 overseas and 2 overseas in the 20/20 currently permitted) who plays in a Championship game the counties hand out is reduced by £20,000 and £10,000 for a white ball game?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

January 5 2017, 5:01 PM 

From wiki:

"In an effort to combat the influx of Kolpak players, the ECB linked the central payments made to counties, to the number of English qualified players who play for that county. This in effect means that every game a Kolpak player plays instead of an English qualified player, a county gets £1,100 less from the ECB"

Must admit I am surprised that this is legal, but if it is then a £1K "fine" is neither here or there.

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Jan 5, 2017 5:03 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:05 PM 

Only fair in my mind.

It would be a travesty if Hampshire, who produce no England players and employ kolpacks a-plenty, got the same handout as us.

This way they should get considerably less, at £1000 a game for both of them (about 60 games between them -£60000?).

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

January 5 2017, 7:35 PM 

They've recently produced Vince and Dawson to be fair, but the point still stands re Kolpaks. I can't say I'll be impressed if we go back down that route - there are at least four more on the way according to Neil Manthorp, the South African commentator.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk