<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Miller Lite?

January 9 2017, 11:07 PM 

You have a point with Shahzad but Rashid played a key role in two championship winning sides. Don't let one incident cloud your judgement of one of our best players over a number of years.

(Login dpressed)

January 10 2017, 8:21 AM 

My nadir of the 2000s was 2004. In 2003 we were one wet day away from getting promotion, although I remember Derby being very poor but rightfully beating us at Headingley. In 2003 Yorks ended up 4th in Division 2, in 2004 we were 7th winning 3 & losing 4.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

January 10 2017, 11:22 AM 

Yes,2004 was the low point - I remember Durham stuffing us at Scarborough and we looked an absolute rabble.

2007 felt like a new beginning under Gough but ultimately was a false dawn.

2010 was when it started to take shape. Gale's team, after the blip in 2011, went from strength to strength.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 10 2017, 11:24 AM 

For 14 months, between June 2008 and August 2009 we failed to win a single County Championship match, though we did manage to remain in the First Division.

The sequence was broken at Basingstoke, thanks to a terrific all-round display from Rashid (100 and 5-for), backed up by Shahzad. But we still needed to win the final game, at Hove, which we did thanks to Wainwright, Hoggard and Shahzad, again.

We have lived through some tough times, we supporters, and I'm sure we will do so again. The knack is to enjoy the good times, and hope you don't have to wait 77 years, like Lancashire did. We also have to hope that the 'suits' don't screw things up, as at Bradford Bulls. I was a Bradford Northern supporter when that went tits up 50 years ago.

(Login dpressed)

January 10 2017, 12:44 PM 

In the match DM mentioned Hoggy got a hat trick. It later turned out to be Matthew's last match for Yorkshire. How many bowlers have done that?

(Login dpressed)

January 10 2017, 12:45 PM 

Sorry double post

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jan 11, 2017 10:31 AM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

January 15 2017, 1:38 AM 

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21714402-legal-loophole-allowing-foreign-players-join-english-clubs-may-close-brexits-unexpected

An article in this week's 'The Economist' about Kolpaks. Fairly interesting, but not really more informative/insightful than what we know already.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

January 15 2017, 1:39 AM 

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21714402-legal-loophole-allowing-foreign-players-join-english-clubs-may-close-brexits-unexpected

An article in this week's 'The Economist' about Kolpaks. Fairly interesting, but not really more informative/insightful than what we know already.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 15 2017, 11:47 AM 

I hadn't realised that the game at Hove, in which he took a hat-trick and Yorkshire won when they seemed doomed to defeat and relegation, was Hoggy's last game for Yorkshire.

Two coincidences...

I was present at Hamilton, NZ, for what proved to be Hoggy's final test, when Ryan Sidebottom took a hat-trick. Hoggy, along with Harmi, was blamed for the defeat and dropped. Anderson and Broad replaced them at Wellington, and England won.

I was not present at Hove in 1939, when Hedley Verity took 7 for 9 in his last game for Yorkshire, which will take a bit of beating. We can hope the circumstances are never repeated, but when is Trump's inauguration?

(Login dpressed)

January 15 2017, 12:35 PM 

My apologies. I got my dates wrong. Hoggy played another year & left at the end of 2009. Sorry

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk