<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Captain Root

December 12 2016 at 4:00 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Some of the selections, reading of pitches, field placing and bowling options have been poor.

It's a tough call but I think this test in particular has put a lot of question marks about Cooks captaincy.

Maybe Root bringing himself on to bowl when Cook was off the field might be the catalyst.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Captain Root

December 12 2016, 4:41 PM 

Only ever captained 4 first class matches.

Child on the way in January.

Still finding his way in the Number 3 position.

THE pivotal player in all 3 formats for England.

Would Root captaining in India have made any difference to the result?

For me, if Cook wants to stay on as captain then he should. Root has enough on his plate as it is, we mustn't burden him down just yet.

CB
(Login BoomerC)

December 12 2016, 5:08 PM 

Cook himself has already intimated he's reconsidering his position, I believe Joe would have the backing of all around him, including the general cricketing loving public at large?

'Cometh the hour, cometh the man'

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 12 2016, 6:30 PM 

The way he was talking earlier does suggest Cook will resign. Root is the only viable alternative at the moment.

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

December 12 2016, 11:09 PM 

In the interim I'd give the captaincy to Broad, about time we had a bowler as captain, Root to get it 18 months-2 years time.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 13 2016, 7:04 AM 

I would stick with Cook.

This is India away. We are still rebuilding.

Let's also not forget that Cook himself has only seen his new daughter twice. That must be a serious challenge on his renowned concentration.

He should have given up the captaincy for Bangladesh. Or there really should not have been a tour there, the players look tired.

Root should be batting 4 and maybe take over after the Away Ashes series.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 13 2016, 9:46 AM 

They look totally inept at dealing with Kohli and Ashwin so tiredness is an excuse.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 13 2016, 9:53 AM 

Always thought Cook would want to stay as captain until after next winter and be in charge down under for the Ashes. Thought he would be really motivated to do well after last time in Australia. Would stand down after that and be no surprise if he retired as a player as well same with Jimmy Anderson.

After next week he wont be playing for England again until July and can pick and choose games for Essex so plenty of time to recharge the batteries.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

We should know soon

January 6 2017, 8:48 AM 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/1075768.html

Despite what some other commentators have said George Dobell seems pretty sure that the decision on the captaincy is Cook's to make.

I hope he makes the right decision, which for me would be to continue playing but relinquish the captaincy.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: We should know soon

January 6 2017, 10:29 AM 

Why is Strauss trying to rush Cook into making a decision? The next test isn't until July 6, and you would have thought that by mid-May Cook would have had enough time to wind down and make a rational, rather than emotional, decision.

Perhaps, as Dobell hopes, he already has, but Strauss does seem to have an unfortunately confrontational management style.

Personally, I hope Cook stays until after Oz 2017/18, with Root taking over a winning team after that.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

January 6 2017, 11:22 AM 

Am not sure Strauss is rushing Cook into making this decision. This "debrief" was always planned for after the Indian tour whether we'd won/draw or lost the series.
I think it's only natural that after Cook himself had talked of life after captaincy this is brought up in the de-brief.
I agree though, Cook to stay for the next 12 months.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 7 2017, 10:05 AM 

I hope Cook sees through this summer as skipper as its not ideal timing for Root and I am sure Cook would prefer to go out on a high on the back of a home series win rather than an Indian thrashing. Of course next winter is the Ashes though and is that the right time to blood a new skipper?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Cook steps aside

February 6 2017, 10:01 AM 

Just been announced that Cook is stepping down as England captain.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Cook steps aside

February 6 2017, 10:22 AM 

I know some people said that there was no particular rush for him to make a decision, but seems to me that it makes sense at least to consider the merits of the split captaincy and if you are going to do that then do it before the next ODI tournament. I would be surprised if they made any moves in that direction however.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

February 6 2017, 10:43 AM 

So will Joe take the gauntlet ?

Dpressed
(Login dpressed)

February 6 2017, 11:31 AM 

If he's offered the captaincy will young Joe have to ask his parents before deciding?

This message has been edited by dpressed on Feb 6, 2017 11:51 AM

(Login BrickyardBoy)

February 6 2017, 4:30 PM 

"If he's offered the captaincy will young Joe have to ask his parents before deciding?"

He could do worse!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Good luck

February 6 2017, 5:35 PM 

Joe must be just a year or so younger than Cook when he took the captaincy.

I can't really see anybody else in the frame and, if he wants the job, it's his.

I like him and wish him well but there is no guarantee he will be any good at it.

Lots of great players make a hash of captaincy, but if you don't try you won't know.

Hope he has a thick skin, come to that I hope I have one too and don't take any criticism he may get too personally.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Good luck

February 6 2017, 8:58 PM 

Not many club sides can lay claim to producing two England skippers.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Good luck

February 6 2017, 9:11 PM 

For what its worth, he's a shoo-in and I think he'll do very well.

Good luck

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk