<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Alternative facts

February 10 2017, 4:42 PM 

Do the conspiracy theories never stop!

Can you tell me how it "seems fairly clear" Strauss doesn't want Root as test captain? As for Strauss lining up pundits to go public with alternatives, well, it's a theory............

Wasn't it Andrew Strauss who made Joe Root vice captain, in the first place extolling his leadership qualities?

I've seen many a journalist comment that they believe Joe Root will be announce captain on Monday 20th Feb when the England team are down in London, before flying to the Windies. Seems like a sensible idea to me, rather than dragging a new father away from a new born just after returning home from India.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 10 2017, 5:33 PM 

'Seems like a sensible idea to me, rather than dragging a new father away from a new born just after returning home from India.'

So Strauss and his team travelled up to meet with Root, Broad and Stokes on Thursday did they. Very considerate of them.

February 10 2017, 6:00 PM 

Yes. They met Root and Stokes in Leeds and Broad in Nottingham.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

February 11 2017, 8:55 AM 

Only two options for me...Root or Broad.

Butter isn't guaranteed a place.
Stokes gets injuries and is so important with bar and ball. He is Lao very fiery. Has a Botham/Flintoff feel.

I think Broad is a good shout but bowlers are rotated more these days and batsman seem logical.

I would rather give Root another year or two but he is level headed, hugely respected and has great Test match experience. I would go him batting at 4.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

February 11 2017, 11:14 AM 

Root is obviously going to do the job. The case for anyone else lies in whether he could do with waiting a couple of years, and whether it might have an adverse impact on his batting. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

February 11 2017, 11:34 AM 

The argument for delaying the appointment of Root to the captaincy seems to me to be bizarre. Root has done enough to merit the promotion and he is an established member of the team.

Against that he has little experience of captaincy. Given the disconnect between international and domestic cricket no-one else is more experienced. So the choice lies between an international player with little experience of captaincy and an experienced captain with little or no international experience. From the latter category, the most successful county captain in recent years, Andrew Gale, has just retired. Paul Collingwood is undoubtedly experienced as both captain and player, but is rather "long in the tooth"; in my opinion, prohibitively so! Trescothick falls into the same category and in any case, he is not available. (Whilst both are still good cricketers, neither is as good now as he was in his prime; anno dominii takes its toll).

Root is available now. Given the nature of human existence, there is no absolute guarantee that he will still be around in 2 years' time.

So:

Is he available? Yes.
Is he good enough? We don't know.
Might he be good enough? Yes.
Are others available? Yes, but they also lack experience of captaincy.
Are they better than Root? No.

Solution: Give him the job now.

(Login Jacobus24)

February 11 2017, 12:19 PM 

Broad loves himself too much and should be nowhere near the job.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

February 11 2017, 1:02 PM 

Quite. I would also add, that given the fitness problems which already crop up, he is likely to come to the end of his career earlier rather than later - like Michael Vaughan. It's time to find out if he can do the job.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Next problem

February 12 2017, 12:12 PM 

Given all that has been said in the Media over the last week or so I don't think Strauss, whatever his misgivings, can possibly appoint anybody but Root to the test captaincy.

England captains, who play in all formats, have in the past captained in all formats.

Tricky one this. As a confirmed member of the 'get Morgan out club' even I'm not really sure how this should go.

Root can gain some valuable captaincy experience in white ball cricket before his first test.

Although the actual cricketing skills are somewhat different, the leadership role, man management, dealing with pressure, the media etc are skills that will transfer to the test arena.

Re: Next problem

February 13 2017, 8:53 AM 

Not sure what misgivings Strauss had, I doubt any, but Root will be announced captain at 11am today according to reports.

Rey
(Login Rey2)

February 13 2017, 9:35 AM 

"Seems fairly clear Strauss does not want Root as test captain or they would have choreographed the succession so that Cook resigned one day and Joe was appointed the next.
What has happened since Monday seems like a process to appoint ABR (anyone but Root), while at the same time ensuring Strauss does not look foolish by overlooking the "obvious" choice, beginning with lining up pundits to go public with their preferred alternatives."

Even without the entirely 100% expected announcement coming today, this was a bizarre conspiracy theory. I wonder if Roundhegian will ever come back to explain how on earth he came to this conclusion?

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

February 13 2017, 11:34 AM 

And the new captain is..... Root.

Tremendous surprise, well done lad

(Login ExiledinNotts)

February 13 2017, 12:35 PM 

Congratulations to Joe.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 13 2017, 12:37 PM 

Congratulations Joe.

I don't think the establishment were necessarily seeing if they could avoid appointing him. They were just avoiding criticism they weren't thinking about it fully. I've certainly seen appointments made where an 'open' process was established entirely for its own sake. Everyone knew who was going to get the job.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Congratulations (and good luck)

February 13 2017, 4:23 PM 

Whatever the truth behind the process, hearty congratulations to Joe.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

Re: Congratulations (and good luck)

February 14 2017, 9:15 AM 

Speculation in the Times that the ECB and Joe may think it is a good idea for him to have some County cricket before the Tests start next Summer. Let's hope so!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/root-to-ask-for-red-ball-games-before-lords-fj372f75s

(Login dpressed)

February 14 2017, 9:16 AM 

Lets hope they are right, but would the ECB ask for Root to be captain?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 14 2017, 9:43 AM 

A lot of the journalists and pundits are bemoaning the fact that Joe has no County Captaincy experience. Hardly surprising when you can count his appearances for Yorkshire in the last three years on one hand. How is he supposed to get gain captaincy skills when he his hardly ever allowed to play for his county.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 14 2017, 9:48 AM 

They've picked him as Test captain now so his lack of captaincy experience is now no longer a critical issue.

Trying to bulk up his CV by giving him a couple of guest captaincy gigs for Yorkshire sounds like a bad deal for both parties.

Looking forward to seeing him, hopefully in tandem with JB, getting some big runs for Yorkshire in the CC.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 14 2017, 10:00 AM 

Does the article (I'm not logged on with the Times, so can only read the first para or so) mention a need for captaincy experience, or is it just that he needs some red ball match preparation? I don't think there should be any question of him replacing Ballance. However, does the word 'Yorkshire' appear? Perhaps the ECB will send him elsewhere if captaincy can be arranged.

I didn't mean that seriously, but perhaps I should be careful. Much ECB action is beyond satire.

And I can't see the point in journalists going on about captaincy experience. Now we have central contracts it's never going to happen. Who was the last England captain with captaincy experience?

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Feb 14, 2017 10:02 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk