<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ballance

December 15 2016 at 7:37 AM
Seadog73  (Login Seadog73)

Gary will be skipper in all three formats.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Ballance

December 15 2016, 7:43 AM 

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5302/gary-ballance-appointed-yorkshire-captain?dm_i=1AFM,4O2NZ,GHSDKE,HFBSY,1

Perhaps signalling a break in his international career. I hope this works and he thrives on the responsibility and it allows Lees to focus on getting his batting form back.

So another officially appointed skipper born outside the boundaries - fine by me as one of the others had a decent record and if he can emulate Lord Hawke he won't go far wrong but I hope he bats higher than 8 in the order!

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 15 2016, 8:02 AM 

Sound choice and the right one.

Let him bat at 4 in all formats and get back to being the run machine he was before England ruined him.

He is entering the peak of his career now and with the emergence of others for England, we may benefit from Lyth, Lees and Ballance indefinitely.

If we can get a good overseas number 3 I will be happy, with Leaning fitting in at 5.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 15 2016, 8:31 AM 

The natural choice I think. Good luck to him and the rest of the lads in 2017.

If it was a different sport I'd suggest we went for a ceremonial club captain (Tim obviously) with Gary as the team captain.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

December 15 2016, 8:36 AM 

Good choice.
Wish him every success.

(Login dpressed)

December 15 2016, 8:40 AM 

The cynic in me thinks this means that Gary will now re-discover his form & will be back in the England side by June!! We it has happened before (with Craig White & Anthony McGrath)

This message has been edited by dpressed on Dec 15, 2016 8:40 AM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

December 15 2016, 9:08 AM 

My thoughts exactly Matt.That scenario would leave a big hole.

Good luck to Gary and, hopefully, it might help alex Lees get back to full form across all formats as the burden of 1 day captaincy lifts.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 15 2016, 9:54 AM 

The first priority is for Gary to rediscover his form. If this gets him back in the England reckoning then so be it - there do appear to be a few people ahead of him in the queue now. I'm particularly looking forward to him leading from the front in T20. I still have on my sky + the highlights from the T20 quarter(?) final v Worcestershire at Headingley from 2012 where he hits four sixes in the final over of our innings. I would love to see the free-flowing Gary once again.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 15 2016, 10:40 AM 

I'm happy with this appointment.
TB as club captain would also be an excellent move.
All we need now is Pujara back as our overseas player, followed by Kohli in 2018.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 15 2016, 10:48 AM 

Pujara can't play in T20, the displays in the group stages without overseas help were poor so was the run chase vs Durham at finals day.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 18 2016, 9:57 PM 

Another vote for Gary. I think he'll do well.

I heard an interview with Brookes on BBC radio Leeds west Yorkshire sport last week, he talked about how the championship team is 'run' (his word) by 5 or 6 senior players and whoever is captain that doesn't really change. Assume he means Bres, Sidebottom, Lyth, Lees and himself.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 19 2016, 12:27 AM 

I would think you could add Rashid and Patterson to that list.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 19 2016, 10:38 AM 

Rashid will be ostracised to an extent after what has happened.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

December 19 2016, 10:54 AM 

How do you ostracise someone to an extent? Are they sent to Leamington Spa instead of Coventry?

(Login Jacobus24)

December 19 2016, 11:10 AM 

Some players will and some probably won't.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 19 2016, 11:25 AM 

I think Andrew Hodd will be okay with him, and that's all that matters, Jacobus. Another player of great experience, by the way. This is a VERY experienced Yorkshire team, and it has been a very harmonious one under Moxon / Gillespie / Gale.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 19 2016, 11:38 AM 

The Rashid issue has by all accounts been out to bed. I'd be very surprised if there are any childish and pathetic repercussions within that dressing room.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 19 2016, 11:43 AM 

To me he's selfish and insincere.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

December 19 2016, 11:53 AM 

You know him well, I assume?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 19 2016, 11:59 AM 

Rashid is one of the senior players 'running' the Yorkshire side? Find that hard to believe. Be surprised if he has much input, if any.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk