<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Lies, damn lies &amp; statistics.

December 16 2016, 9:52 PM 

I recall that Vaughan once had a problem or a flaw when getting out in the 190's at the peak of his powers....

One things for sure, and that is Cook will be happy with our debate as its deflecting from his own problems

PaulYorks
(Login paulyorks)

December 16 2016, 9:56 PM 

I think most would agree that Joe needs to convert more of his 50s into 100s. What I (and possibly others?) would object to is the insinuation that laziness is to blame.

(Login edthefed)

December 17 2016, 8:23 AM 

How many times has Joe come in with added pressure caused by the fact that those ahead of him in the batting order have yet again failed to score runs ????

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Day 2

December 17 2016, 9:29 AM 

England might not quite manage 500 but they won't be far off. Pitch seems to be playing pretty well.

We'll gloss over the fact that Stokes and Buttler failed to convert their good starts into double figures! Otherwise good hand from the late order.

Got a feeling we might get a draw or even a win.

Didn't the old England do that quite a lot, lose the series and then get a win, when it didn't really matter.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Day 2

December 17 2016, 10:27 AM 

Some on here may think that Root's failure to convert 50s is not an issue but he clearly disagrees:
From the BBC website
....Root has made a half-century in each of the 11 Tests he has played against India, but has only converted one of his last seven fifties against all opponents into a hundred.

"It's frustrating to make scores of 70 and 80, then not kick-on. It does wind you up," said the Yorkshire right-hander.

"If I start thinking too much about it, it might detract from my natural game, but big hundreds are what win Tests so that is what I'll be striving for in the new year."....

It's true that there are many others in the England camp more culpable in their on-going failures in this series but he is our best batsman by far & the team needs him to build bigger & longer innings to put more pressure on the Indians.
When he first came into the test team one of his major strengths was the fact that once he'd reached 100 he then went on to much higher scores.
He's probably not as fit as Bairstow - not many are - but I'd back him against most of the others. Possibly his chronic back condition mitigates against him obtaining higher fitness levels.

Overall my main quibble is that I just love to see him bat & feel cheated or at least deprived when he gets out too soon.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 17 2016, 12:23 PM 

You posted 'Kohli goes on to make a ton whereas Joe doesn't'. You have yet to make reference to the quality of bowling on each side like it makes no difference, bowlers are allowed to stop players converting scores with good bowling and in England's case not maintaining pressure mainly due to lack of control.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 17 2016, 12:54 PM 

Ashwin is head & shoulders the best bowler on either side in Indian conditions - that goes without saying - but Root has not usually in this series lost his wicket to the unplayable ball, his innings in this match is a prime example.
To be considered the best batsman in the world Root has to overcome the bowling in all conditions in all areas of the world.
He's had good series but it could have been even better, something he acknowledges in the article above that I posted.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

A touch of the Aggers.

December 17 2016, 4:50 PM 

I hope Joe gets loads of big hundreds in the future as long as it's not at the expense of his natural game. Test match cricket needs to be attractive and entertaining if it is to survive.

The sheer accumulations of runs through chanceless cricket leading to bore draws, while the crowd entertains themselves with Mexican waves is hopefully a thing of the past from this England team.

My pet hate at the moment is listening to Jonathan Agnew. If you are out while playing any form of attacking shot you have simply thrown your wicket away to a lazy shot. Mans a buffoon.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

A touch of the Aggers.

December 17 2016, 4:51 PM 

(Posted twice for some weird reason)

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Dec 17, 2016 4:53 PM

jonathon11
(Login jonathon11)

Re: 5th Test | India v England at Chennai (Match Thread)

December 17 2016, 5:13 PM 

I think Kl Rahul is better than M vijay..

CB
(Login BoomerC)

Re: A touch of the Aggers.

December 17 2016, 5:50 PM 

Typical response from a bowler but worry not, Sir Geoffrey will put him back in his box !

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 18 2016, 10:47 AM 

He certainly looks impressive on this pitch against this bowling.

There may be a decent 5th day with a bit of pressure on England but it looks like the pitch is going to win this one.

TMS struggling to find things to talk about.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 18 2016, 11:52 AM 

Do we now have a long debate about a batsmans failure to convert centuries into double centuries....

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 18 2016, 12:06 PM 

I know you're not being serious but I'd be absolutely delighted if we'd had a single batsman getting anywhere near a double century in this series.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 18 2016, 12:31 PM 

No, because that's a one off. Roots failure to convert 70's/80's into 100's is a recurring pattern. Would've thought that's fairly obvious.

Jay
(Login overman8)

December 19 2016, 9:51 AM 

Back to the test - goodness, England on a whole been completely outplayed in this series. It's not for the lack of trying, but we've taken quite a beating. It's hard to see how we can move forward at the moment.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 19 2016, 10:24 AM 

We've been absolutely walloped.
Batsmen not making the most of their opportunities, dropped catches, missed stumpings, stupid run-outs & bowlers just not good enough.
The only area in which we've outplayed them is in winning the toss, not that that's made much difference.
My only hope in this match is that by delaying the declaration until Nair gets to 250 Kohli's given them too few overs to bowl us out.
But I fully expect to see us lose before lunch tomorrow by an innings.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Dec 19, 2016 10:27 AM

Jay
(Login overman8)

December 19 2016, 10:34 AM 

I agree Old Feller, our attack has simply not been good enough and has been exposed yet again. This is getting increasingly embarrassing, the Indian's could quite easily post a score of a 1000 at this rate. There needs to be some changes around management and leadership, as we seem to be going backwards.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 19 2016, 10:39 AM 

England will hope they do. Surely should be having a crack at the openers after two days in the field.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

December 19 2016, 10:47 AM 

At 10.24 OF wrote about waiting for Nair's 250. At 10.46 he's 6 short of 300!

The wheeels are well and truly off.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk