<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

Re: 5th Test | India v England at Chennai (Match Thread)

December 19 2016, 10:49 AM 

Looks like they're waiting until Nair gets to his 300 then have a few overs at England who will no doubt make batting look like they're in the middle of a minefield. Sadly JB has not covered himself in glory behind the stumps either with a missed catch and stumping

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 19 2016, 10:55 AM 

I have to say, it is situations like this where time and time again Cook looks inadequate as a captain.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

December 19 2016, 11:15 AM 

JB has ,however, set the record for the longest period behind the stumps without conceding a bye, 180 overs I believe.

Cook doesn't inspire and anything he did was akin to re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 19 2016, 11:21 AM 

6 maidens in 113 overs from the spinners. Beyond dreadful.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 19 2016, 11:35 AM 

Statistics are a funny thing aren't they. True that our maiden count is terrible compared with India, but these figures are an interesting comparison:

43 4 129 2 (Dawson)
43 3 151 1 (Ashwin)

He's rubbish that Ashwin! Bring on the part time, on-loan, middling batsman who bowls a bit!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 19 2016, 11:48 AM 

The difference is that's not the norm for Ashwin, whereas thats probably a standard Dawson effort.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 19 2016, 12:13 PM 

My comment was tongue in cheek. I suppose the acid test comes tomorrow. Will their spinners managed what ours have not

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

December 19 2016, 1:05 PM 

Today was a little embarrassing to watch at times.
i think this may the end for Cook - he looked very fed up..

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 19 2016, 1:11 PM 

If you asked him now he would go, but if he gets a few tomorrow, and has a nice Christmas, he might feel different went it comes to talking it over with his mate Strauss.

I don't really want to see the pressure move over to Joe but he has to be given a chance.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 19 2016, 1:20 PM 

With no Test match cricket for six months, now would be a very good time to make the change I would have thought. Gives the new person the chance to bed in.

Jay
(Login overman8)

December 19 2016, 2:17 PM 

Absolute turkey of a performance, England have had the stuffing knocked out of them throughout, time to ring the changes in the New Year. Utterly embarrassing tour, and I thought the Bengaladesh debacle was bad.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 19 2016, 2:18 PM 

Any new England captain won't get much chance to bed in when there are three challenging test series in the next 15 months - South Africa (H), Australia (A) and New Zealand (A).

England management - both coaching and non coaching staff have to take responsibility for a poor tour campaign. How can England expect to challenge India by going into a 5 match test series without any warm up matches, especially when some players have never played in India before? The Bangladesh tour does not count as a warm up (other than acclimatising to the humidity) when the pitches offered more assistance to the bowlers.

Some scheduled warm up matches may have allowed England to identify a more structural batting order and bowling attack, instead of going through three different opening batsmen to partner Cook and using 5 different spinners (granted Hameed and Ansari were forced changes).

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 19 2016, 9:26 PM 

Warm up matches are always a good idea obviously but not sure one or even two would have done any good on this tour.

If they had come in under cooked you would expect the experience they gained in each Test to rub off a little and for the team to improve and become gradually more competitive.

Instead, from a relative high in the first test at Rajkot, we've just got worserer and worserer.

Even the coach has found an excuse to skip off home early and not to watch the final day

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 20 2016, 9:36 AM 

I thought it rather odd that the coach was planning to leave a day early - feels like he has written the game off. I still think that there is a basic problem with Bayliss still considering Sydney as his home. With JG he committed fully to YCCC whilst he was with the club and based himself and his family in Leeds.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

December 20 2016, 10:24 AM 

I would guess that Jonny, with todays low score, missed out on the record number of runs in a calendar year by an English player, currently held by MV.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 20 2016, 10:34 AM 

Yeah, Root actually got closer, 4 behind Vaughan.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 20 2016, 10:47 AM 

Thank goodness that torture is over.
Bayliss left early to have a hernia operation apparently.
BUT he was acting as the fielding coach as well as Head coach, in view of England's failings in that department why is there not a full-time fielding coach.
Fielding after all is something that every player has to do.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 20 2016, 10:49 AM 

Todays capitulation is nothing short of embarrassing.
No shame in losing in India but the way we have lost is very annoying.

Jay
(Login overman8)

December 20 2016, 10:51 AM 

Well done to India, truly pathetic from England, we are going backwards under this current management.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

December 20 2016, 11:03 AM 

Cant say Im gutted like I would have been say 5 years ago, I just cant feel the same passion towards England cricket anymore,cant really put my finger on one particular reason maybe its just the erosion of the County game which the ECB seem to be hell bent on along with our already documented concerns at player avialbility at Yorkshire

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk