<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

North v South

December 18 2016 at 10:02 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Series of 3 one day games in the UEA in March. Some players selected by committee and others automatic picks based on performances in last season 50 over comp.

Bres in based on performance. Leaning, perhaps a little surprisingly, picked by the selectors. These are the only Yorkshire players involved.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: North v South

December 19 2016, 9:33 AM 

I thought they would pick more than 4 players each team based on their performance in one day cricket in the RL competition.

If the ECB have money to burn they might as well spend it on an extra bit of pre-season for those selected while having a look at Finn and Woods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38351575

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

December 19 2016, 4:20 PM 

The selection of Jack Leaning is surprising but encouraging. I know it could be interpreted in different ways, and one would certainly be that the selectors have watched very little recent county cricket. Another however is that they have seen real potential which should be noted and encouraged. I hope, not entirely confidently, that it is the latter. The selection certainly shows that were the wishes of a minority of posters that Jack should be jettisoned (we'll ignore the lunatic who wanted to jettison Bres) be carried out, he'd be snapped up with enthusiasm by another good county.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 19 2016, 5:02 PM 

Possibly not as good as 2015, but i think he still made some decent contributions in white ball Cricket last season. Important member of those sides, even if he fails to bed down a Championship place.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 19 2016, 7:07 PM 

No question he has the talent. Does he have the application though!

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 19 2016, 8:11 PM 

He's still a kid in batting terms. Can everyone remember how up and down the likes of Lyth were at that age?

He has proved in 2015 what a talent he is. He's had a bad run. They all do, though I accept he's had a long run of poor form.

Either way, we are not blessed with options and for a young batsman he has decent experience and in my view of he gets a continued run, will come good. He's a player for all competitions.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 19 2016, 9:26 PM 

I really don't think his application is in doubt as hinted at above.

My view is he's good enough to be a solid county batsman in all formats, however he'll not be as good as Root, JB, Lyth, Ballance and Lees. We really have developed some outstanding batsmen in recent times.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Leaning

December 19 2016, 10:17 PM 

Your right Sid, I should have used the word attitude rather than application.

Difficult to put my finger on it but perhaps its the way he holds the pose too long after the shot. Or it may be the number of times he swoops for an elegant one handed pick up in the field and ends up without the ball in his hand.

I'm happy with him in the one day set up but he's 12th man material for championship cricket on last seasons showing.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk