<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Come on Pak!

December 19 2016 at 4:10 AM

Dave Morton  (Login DaveMorton)

Woke up to watch England, but news of a fantastic Pakistani run chase at the Gabba. Set 490 to win, they are currently 444 for 8.

Come on, lads! [My enemy's enemy is my friend.] Oz still favourites, though. But what a match!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Come on Pak!

December 19 2016, 8:17 AM 

Looks like a fabulous game, shame Pakistan couldn't pull it off.

I do hope this now shuts Boycott up with his stupid idea about 4 day tests.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Day/night

December 19 2016, 9:17 AM 

Close, but no coconut.

Don't know what the attendance was but seeing the ball doesn't seem to have been an issue.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

5-day good, 4-day bad

December 19 2016, 11:20 AM 

At the end of day 2, Pakistan were 97 for 8 in reply to Oz 429.

In the end Pak made 142, which was 287 behind. Four day or five, no difference to this point.

What did happen, in a 5-day match, was that Oz made another 202, leaving Pak to score 490 off 213 overs.

Had 90 fewer overs been available, they would have had to adjust that. It wouldn't have been 490 off 123 overs, probably, but perhaps more like 420 off 105, the familiar tricky last hour (in the dark!) plus a full day. There would have been zero chance of Pakistan winning, and we would not now be talking about a great Test Match.

Up until WW2, all* Tests in Oz used to be 'played to a finish', i.e. there was no time limit, no draws. This surely is the purest form of the game; you just play until it's over. It was not necessarily conducive to exciting cricket, and you can't imagine it today, with all the tight schedules...but sometimes I wish the odd game could be played this way, such as Hutton's match in 1938, which was also timeless.

However, I'm happy with five days, would be unhappy with 4, even if they could bowl a few extra overs.

[*All Tests? Certainly the Ashes Tests were, in at least some series between the world wars.]

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Re: 5-day good, 4-day bad

December 19 2016, 12:21 PM 

Smith's declaration was premature (assuming there wasn't a significant risk of weather taking time out of the match). Scoring 490 to win was extremely unlikely but even more unlikely was batting for 213 overs without scoring 490. Pakistan actually used only 145 overs for their 450.
Why, if the match was only four days, would Smith have gone from being over-confident to extremely pessimistic in his target setting? Australia could have rattled up 130 or so very quickly leaving Pakistan about 420 to win at three an over. An outside chance of a Pakistan win and it could still have been a great test match.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk