<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Fisher

January 31 2017, 3:43 PM 

I was not implying that Leaning will not come good again next season, just stating the facts of last season. I really hope he does come good again and 2016 was just "second season" syndrome, as we will struggle with another year like last from him.

IF he has a season like last season, our batting looks very weak after Ballance at 4 with Jack at 5, Bresnan at 6, Hodd at 7 and 4 bowlers. I think we can forget about Rash for over 1/2 of the season with "wall to wall" ODI`s scheduled and it could be even worse if he gets the "nod" for the tests as well.

(Login Fozzie1973)

January 31 2017, 4:16 PM 

Be very surprised if Rashid gets the "nod" for the tests, certainly did not cover himself in glory in the India test series

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 31 2017, 6:12 PM 

Well I'm keen to see who the better spinner is then based on the Indian tests.

Batty Ansari, Ali, Dawson all did worse than Adil

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

England spinners

January 31 2017, 7:27 PM 

We are back to square one I think, England still don't have a decent spinner, period.

Therefore all I can see is that Ali will continue to play as the only spinner in Tests, in English conditions.

He is the most useful team member in terms of his batting, holding up an end, and getting a few wickets. He seems popular with his team mates and usually does as he is asked.

Only if Ansari can improve, or if Leach has what it takes or somebody else comes through will things change.

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: England spinners

January 31 2017, 10:07 PM 

WibseySimon and others might like this side.

Lyth
Lees
Ballance (c)
Leaning
Handscomb (wk)
Brook
Bresnan
Rafiq
Patterson
Brooks
Sidebottom

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: England spinners

January 31 2017, 10:31 PM 

Handscomb woeful with the gloves in the two matches i've seen him keep. Your pal Andy will be a fixture in the Championship.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Back to Fisher

February 1 2017, 8:20 AM 

Another 4 top order wickets for Fisher in the 2nd youth ODI.

Don't know what the wickets like but 4 for 44 from 10 overs is encouraging. England yet to bat.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: Back to Fisher

February 1 2017, 10:01 AM 

Made up for Matthew it will be like we have a new signing next season. Terrific talent & im looking forward to seeing him develop.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

wicket keeper

February 1 2017, 11:31 AM 

you would play a one handed keeper with one eye rather than play hodd id hate to think you didn't like someone .

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: wicket keeper

February 1 2017, 12:42 PM 

Having a keeper who can average over 40 gives the side some security and you can then afford to blood Harry Brook as well as being in position to win matches. I have no personal vendetta against Hodd.

(Login KennyShovel)

February 1 2017, 3:04 PM 

Keepers that can average 40 in Div 1 of the Championship are rarer than hen's teeth. Since the two division system was adopted in 2000 only five have managed it:

J Bairstow (52.36)
A Stewart (48) - retired
N Pothas (44.41) - retired
B Foakes (42.17) - based on one season
C Read (40.95)

Most of the current CC keepers don't have a record anywhere near that in division 1.

If Yorkshire want a keeper who is also a front-line batsman they'll need to recruit overseas and hope the player adapts to English conditions.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 1 2017, 3:47 PM 

Good point - and we have to remember that we have a side that can feature Bresnan/Rashid/Willey/Plunkett in the lower order - batting strength that many other counties cannot match and which compensates for a keeper whose batting average is brilliant.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 1 2017, 5:44 PM 

Martin - we do have a side that can feature Bresnan/Rashid/Willey/Plunkett, but I would bet my last dollar that all 4 will NEVER appear in the same CC side. The NLOP club members will never allow that!!!

Willey & Plunkett will be as unavailable this season for us as often as Rashid, and don`t forget Fisher will be pushing for a place as well.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 1 2017, 7:05 PM 

No I doubt that we will ever have all four (and in any event it is probably not desirable for all four to be in the same side) but I suppose what I was thinking was that even if two of these four are in the same team it gives us a better than average lower order.

I believe that the club are planning/hoping that Fisher will make the step up to regular four day cricket next season, so there may be a fair bit of competition.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

February 1 2017, 7:11 PM 

Fisher would play one day and T20 for me and a few County games.

The plan for Fisher must be an injury free year.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 2 2017, 1:49 PM 

I was at York for the second team game with Durham late last summer. The ECB had sent Geoff Arnold to monitor Fisher. I'm not sure if this is unusual or not, but they certainly think highly of him.

I did have a chat with 'horse', nothing much, we were both stood behind the bowlers arm waiting for the end of the over. Logan was bowling and Shutt was at the other end. I like to think I know something about the game but his comments and observations about our slow bowlers were simply from a different planet to that of the ordinary spectator. His key point was that our slow bowlers were attempting to much 'variation', not enough 'stock' balls and trying to hard to impress - do the simple things incredibly well was perhaps a summary of his advice.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Feb 2, 2017 1:59 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 2 2017, 7:20 PM 

As evidenced by the selection of Panesar and Giles for so long. Containment rather than entertainment seems to be the priority

Dpressed
(Login dpressed)

February 3 2017, 9:44 AM 

The previous 2 posts are why I'm hoping that Rashid is with us over the summer. In England the spinner is usually seen as a defensive bowler, who's brought on to 'tie up' an end unless there's a lot of turn. Rashid is an 'attacking' spinner who will go for runs but will usually get you wickets. Thankfully Patterson has taken over the spinner's role (which is why there's NLOP on here) to allow Yorkshire to play Rashid as our 'main' spinner.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 3 2017, 1:52 PM 

The truly great spinner can operate in both ways, keep control in batsman-friendly conditions, strike when there's help in the pitch. I would put Swann in that category, and obviously Warne. At his best, Panesar was not far off greatness, until he went off the rails.

Dpressed has it exactly right. The current Yorkshire attack has no great bowler, but the Sidebottom, Brooks, Bresnan, Patterson, Rashid combination has most eventualities covered. We could do with some pace, which Plunkett provides, but at the expense of whichever bowler is dropped to make way for him.

Fortunately, there is so much batting (and fielding) ability in this group of bowlers, you could easily play six of them.

Players get older and decline; others get older and stronger and better. We all know this quintet (or sextet) will not last forever. Cracks may well appear this summer, providing chances for others, Fisher especially. Rashid's likely non-availability is the main problem. I still think we should have signed a spinner rather than a batsman who keeps wicket very, very badly.

Meanwhile: NLOP, and our captain will be one man who can sleep at night!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Mathew Fisher

February 3 2017, 7:48 PM 

Missed the 3rd game today due to a 'minor groin problem'. Mathew I mean, not me! my groin issues are way past being minor!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk