<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Doctored pitches

January 4 2017 at 8:23 PM
Ball Sup (Phil)  (Login ball_sup)

I'm not sure I've kept up. But, I'm expecting the uncontested toss malarkey will continue in Champo 2017.

I've been at the Test Series in India over the Winter. The Indian 4 Day domestic Ranji Trophy has (historically) had an issue with pitches being prepared to suit the Home team.

Their solution. ALL Domestic 4 Day games are played on neutral grounds. Often & routinely many hundreds of miles away from the HQs of the two teams involved.

Imagine. ......

Phil
Twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Doctored pitches

January 4 2017, 9:13 PM 

Certainly not a solution county members would allow here.

It would be cheaper and less drastic to have all head groundsmen employed by and responsible to the ECB.

I'd go back to the contested toss, perhaps make the home team put in their team sheet half an hour before the away team.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

January 5 2017, 8:06 AM 

The alternative which may be controversial is to continue playing at the Counties home ground but the ECB who have a lot more money than the Counties, recruit neutral groundsmen who report to them to manage the pitches.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

January 5 2017, 12:45 PM 

Or, we could use the system we currently have and dock points from counties who produce poor pitches.

How you define a poor pitch is up for debate though!

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

January 5 2017, 12:48 PM 

For mine a poor pitch is one where 600 plays 600 and after 4 days everyone goes home with 10 points each.

(Login dpressed)

January 5 2017, 6:28 PM 

I agree with EYT. The Scarborough pitches of the late 1980s & 1990s were boring in the extreme

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

January 5 2017, 6:35 PM 

Arundel 2014. Managed to offer nothing to bowlers, and deter stroke play at the same time. Glorious setting, awful cricket.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 5 2017, 9:02 PM 

There were signs in 2016 of a return to those bad old days of bore-draw pitches, produced by the no-toss rule, whatever its good intentions.

I think YCCC should go down the route of basically good but green(ish) pitches, accept that we're going to get put in, and back ourselves to be better than the oppo. Last season, if you remember, we began with a game against Hampshire in which Lyth, Bairstow, Plunkett, Vince and Ervine all made tons and 590 played 450 - awful game. Not unlike Arundel 2014, perhaps a bit more conducive to strokes. But Sussex dropped the venue after that match; I don't think Yorks will drop Headingley!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk