<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

The President speaks

January 7 2017 at 10:19 AM
Third umpire  (Login ThirdUmpire)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1075651.html

Nice interview with John (not Jack) Hampshire who has played umpired and coached at test cricket which even Bumble has not done!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: The President speaks

January 7 2017, 11:12 AM 

Always nice when your impression that someone is a great bloke gets confirmed. He's a slightly strange one though, always underestimated himself. I was there the day at Lord's when he got that ton. Too long ago and I was only 14 at the time, so my memory isn't detailed, but he got a hell of an ovation for such an allegedly poor knock. England were about 40-4 overnight after WI had got 300 plus. Then he and Raymond both got hundreds.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Jan 7, 2017 12:03 PM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

January 7 2017, 11:54 AM 

I always preferred to watch Hampshire bat rather than Boycott but I know whom I'd ask to bat for me if my life depended on it.

(Login Tyke1950)

January 7 2017, 11:14 PM 

I was at Park Avenue the day John Hampshire scored his Lords hundred.
We all knew he'd scored the century when the hundreds of members in the pavilion stand all applauded extatically at a random point between overs.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 8 2017, 9:10 AM 

The article now has a number of readers' comments, a couple of which agree with my suggestion that the innings was a lot better than JH suggests. One of them is from the great David Frith.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

January 8 2017, 1:03 PM 

I was with John just after his record of getting a ton in his first test was matched by, I think, Graham Thorpe.

I commented that his record had now gone and he responded " Yes but mine was in the 1st innings"!

(Login dpressed)

January 8 2017, 1:15 PM 

Excellent article. I know Hampshire has been a Rotherham United follower having seen him at matches in the past.

The Hampshire/Boycott fall out is still mentioned at Headingley or rather the story (not sure if it's true) of Boycott supporters throwing stones at Hampshire's home.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

January 12 2017, 9:50 PM 

I can testify to his dislike of being called Jackie. Asked for his autograph 1981 Abbydale Park and he was rather abrupt when a very polite 14 year old addressed him in that way. (Viv Richards got a big hundred that same day).

Always liked JH -only saw the end of his career but he was a joy to watch. Maybe a slightly forgotton man when we talk about our past stars.

Excellent interview, interesting point about the role of the President and his view that its a ceremonial one. Perhaps it is, but it needs to be an active one. Surprisingly of the recent incumbents Dickie is the one who to my eye has surprisingly been pitch perfect.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 14 2017, 8:28 AM 

Active? dickie?

In the last two nights he has been on BBC giving tributes to Normsn Rimmington and Fred so I can see he is certainly active even in his post president days!

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

January 14 2017, 9:34 AM 

He once did an interview on TMS with Dickie whilst they were standing in a test match together and said he disliked being called Jackie because it made him sound like a women's hairdresser! During the same interview Dickie launched into one of his excitable anecdotes and must have been waving his arms about for emphasis because John said "it's no good waving your arms about Dickie we're on the radio and nobody can see you".

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk