<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Yorkshire and Tendulkar

January 12 2017 at 9:31 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

If its cold and miserable outside, this 30 minute clip is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WLPNHett0

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: Yorkshire and Tendulkar

January 13 2017, 12:51 AM 

Thanks for posting, Sid.

Much worth watching in it -- a young Gough, an old Carrick, nostalgic glimpses of the old configuration of Headingley, scoring rates almost at T20 momentum. And was there an early example of the reverse sweep (from Fairbrother or Speak)?

Enjoyed all the more because I missed this era of Yorkshire cricket completely (was living in France, hands full with three kids under 5 in 1991 - and pre-Internet of course). I didn't even know we had a player called Christopher Pickles. Was he capped?

I never saw Tendulkar bat for Yorkshire. Lots I want to look up after watching this.

Dpressed
(Login dpressed)

January 13 2017, 11:10 AM 

Chris Pickles was an old style Yorkshire all rounder (i.e. not good enough with bat or ball) medium pace bowler/batsman who was around the club from 1985 to 1992. He played more one day than first class cricket. Think of him as sub-Pyrah without the fielding ability or enthusiasm.

Pickles started out as a thin lad who looked very like Chris Shaw (Josh's dad, who sadly had to retire due to injury) and ended up a rather rotund cricketer who went on to have a good career in the Bradford league. Thankfully he was never capped for Yorkshire.

To understand the above, I have to state that Chris Pickles is probably my least liked Yorkshire cricketer. He's still mentioned at matches, mainly when friends praise the Bradford league.

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Yorkshire/Players/11/11291/11291.html

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jan 13, 2017 12:26 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 14 2017, 8:27 AM 

Harsh on Pickles perhaps who filled gaps due to lack of overseas player pre Tendulkar and England call ups for a variety of our seamers at the time.

I don't tend to like the negative awards such as least favourite player etc and if they were handed out Pickles would not feature in my thinking.

If pushed my pick might be someone like Richard Stemp who was an outsider, flattered to deceive and had a few off field problems too.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 14 2017, 11:28 AM 

I agree Third Umpire.
Pickles wasn't the most talented cricketer to play for Yorkshire. At a desperately grim time for the team he gave of his best and deserves to be remembered with some gratitude by Yorkshire supporters.

remit1
(Login remit1)

Best post-war servant who remained uncapped

January 14 2017, 4:08 PM 

Talk of unappreciated players, who do forum members think was the best post-war player never to receive a cap?

Off the top of my head, Chris Shaw, Howard Cooper and Colin Johnson all seem to be in contention.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Yorkshire and Tendulkar

January 14 2017, 4:10 PM 

As I remember it, Stemp was signed originally as a 'stop gap' until young Gary Keedy was ready. Two unexpected events then occurred. Firstly, Stemp was picked for England (by Illingworth?). Next, Keedy, seeing himself as behind Stemp in the pecking order, decided not to wait but went to Lancashire instead. Yorkshire then had little choice but to persevere with Stemp for a few more years.
incidentally, Stemp's parents became Yorkshire members and remain so to this day. They are sometimes to be seen at Headingley, but are always at Scarborough.

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 14 2017, 4:25 PM 

Of the three you mention, Remit, I think Howard Cooper was the most unlucky not to receive a cap. He was a regular for quite a while in the early part of the seventies and a very capable seamer if not quite quick enough or cunning enough to reach top class. He was one of those players, who, in a more potent side, might have achieved more. He was capable of long spells and could keep it tight.

Colin Johnson was a superb fielder but a rather dour batsman. He played quite a lot round about the same time as Cooper and also, I think, a little later. He seldom made a major impact but always seemed to be a well liked and dependable team player. At around about the same time, I had a soft spot for Peter Squires, the Rugby international, whose fielding was also electric and who was a more dashing batsman than Johnson.

Chris Shaw, like Pickles, had his best days when Yorkshire were at their weakest. Indeed for a time, Pickles and Shaw seemed to be the basis of the seam attack - and it always seemed as if the opposition were 300 for 3 in reply to Yorkshire's 180. Like Cooper, Chris Shaw may also have been more generously remembered in a stronger side.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

January 14 2017, 5:37 PM 

I never quite understood what went wrong for Richard Kettleborough, but as it didn't work out at Middlesex either, I suppose the decision to let him go turned out to be justified. Played one match-winning innings though.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 14 2017, 6:56 PM 

Looking at Ketts now he may be grateful it went wrong as he has had a longer career at the highest level in a different capacity

remit 1
(Login remit1)

January 14 2017, 8:45 PM 

...and something seemed to have gone wrong for Andrew Dalton...

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 14 2017, 10:13 PM 

Dalton was a very fine player lost to the game. Some suggest that he was disillusioned with Boycott's leadership.

The Kettleborough innings was superb - obdurate and defiant. Such a pity that was all there was.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

January 15 2017, 9:02 PM 

I always thought Stuart Fletcher must have been close to a 'cap' in the late 80s. Simon Kellett?

Of those mentioned Howard Cooper was a decent county bowler, and I'd agree cant have been far away.

As an aside I rather liked Chris Pickles, a poor mans Tim Bresnan?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 15 2017, 11:28 PM 

Harold D Bird never got his cap, of course. I wondered whether Brian Bolus had, and it turns out he was capped by Yorkshire, before going on to greater fame with Notts and England.

The official site gives caps in order, David Willey being number 181. Who will be 182? Handscomb, I suppose.
https://yorkshireccc.com/history/capped-players

Cap number 128 is interesting. One of the few edible cricketers, I would suggest. Nice typo!

(Login dpressed)

January 16 2017, 10:54 AM 

Fletcher was capped in 1988 (Cap 131).

Richard Dawson (Cap 154 in September 2004) is probably unique in that he was capped for Yorkshire after his England career was over (his last test was Sydney in January 2003).

And oddly, I have a mate who dislikes Howard Cooper with a venum.

Oh yes. And thanks to DM for the link

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jan 16, 2017 11:09 AM

Geoff Hall
(Login geoffinfrance)

Chris Pickles

January 16 2017, 11:39 AM 

I recall Chris Pickles playing against Scotland in a Group Match of the Benson and Hedges Cup in 1987. At the final, at Lord's, I was surprised to find that he was seated immediately behind me, having purchased his own ticket.

I suspect nowadays all cricketers who had played during the qualifying stages would automatically be invited along at the club's expense.

Sadly things were so much different in those days

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Chris Pickles

January 16 2017, 2:55 PM 

I recall that Stuart Fletcher and Phil Robinson, somewhat bizarrely, received their caps simultaneously in mid-winter. A ceremony was held in the original pavilion. I was one of a surprisingly large number of supporters who attended. Within two years both had been released.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: Chris Pickles

January 16 2017, 3:37 PM 

"Cap number 128 is interesting. One of the few edible cricketers, I would suggest. Nice typo!"

Always nice to see a decent cut. happy.gif

(Login dpressed)

Re: Chris Pickles

January 16 2017, 4:16 PM 

Sorry JD I have to disagree. Yes Fletcher was released and went to Lancs, which was amusing as Stuart had been disliked by the Lancies for not walking when they claimed he'd edged a ball when saving Yorks (along with Richard Blakey) in an hour plus undefeated 10 wicket stand at Old Trafford.

But I'm pretty sure that Phil Robinson left of his own accord after Yorks declined to give him a permanent place in the team. There were 'rumours' around that Phil's rather attractive wife was 'a bit pushy'. Robbo ended up at Leicester where he became part of the coaching team after his retirement. I've a feeling Robinson would have had a better career today as he was 'a hitter's in an era where Yorkshire's coaching was strictly forward defensive. He'd start to play a shot, thin, not go through with it because of his coaching & ended up hitting the ball to a fielder. Today he'd complete the shot & score runs.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Chris Pickles

January 16 2017, 7:51 PM 

You may well be right about the exact circumstances of Robinson's departure, dpressed.
Fletcher's son, Craig, spent some time in the Yorkshire Academy. His bowling was similar to his father's. Unfortunately he did not quite make the grade. He has since plied his trade in the Huddersfield League.
Robinson's brother, Richard, is well-known to followers of the Bradford League. I believe his career aggregate of over 16,000 runs is a record. He is currently a member of the Yorkshire ground staff and has been responsible for bringing about vast improvements to the square at Weetwood where the Academy currently plays.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk