<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Cap Number 182

January 16 2017, 8:42 PM 

There must be some form of negotiation with the overseas players over whether they instantly get a first team cap or not.

Pujara didn't get one, nor did Maxwell, while Finch and Younis Khan did.

It's probably an area that could do with cleaning up a bit.

Perhaps first team caps should only be presented to overseas players who return for a second season!.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Cap Number 182

January 16 2017, 9:04 PM 

For sometime, I've favoured an 'overseas' cap. Perhaps some minor addition, for example a simple 'OS' somewhere near the rose would do? Makes a distinction between the hired gun and the home grown player.

I'm with Dpressed and his assessment of Phil Robinson - a man before his time. I'd have loved to see how he'd have gone in T20. Proper shots, well hit. I also heard the same stories about the 'pushy' wife. Although I think his stats from the mid 80s were helped by the huge amount of 'declaration' bowling around at the time, he always seemed to get in at the right time to boost those year end totals and averages.

Sorry for the misleading statement about Stuart Fletcher,although I'm glad that he was capped. He had a couple of seasons as a first team regular in both formats, whole hearted cricketer.

Back to Chris Pickles - if he'd been a bit better with the ball, we'd have had a very useful lower middle order all rounder. Its a fine line.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Phil Robinson

January 16 2017, 10:01 PM 

After 20 odd years away I moved back to Yorkshire in 1989. Yorkshire v Kent at North Marine Road was my re-introduction to Yorkshire cricket.

My mind was clear of any Yorkshire cricketing politics, and I hadn't heard any stories, so my first view and over-riding feelings towards Robinson was very positive, he was my kind of player.

He scored a lusty 147 and with Byas, who also scored a century, made my first day back a day to remember. I'm pretty sure the sun was out all day too.

We did though contrive to lose the match.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Phil Robinson

January 17 2017, 2:18 PM 

"the sun was out all day..."

Never been known at Scarbados in my lifetime.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk