<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

War of the White Roses and Richard Hutton

January 15 2017 at 9:20 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

I'm currently reading the The War of the White Roses - Stuart Raynor, a YCCC history from later 60's to mid 80s. The Boycott years.

I'm well aware of the circumstances surrounding the departure of Close, Illy and Trueman and once we get to 76, I was there! Its the early 70s stuff which I realise I'm very hazy about and the players from that era. Richard Hutton seems the most interesting and doesn't seen to be coming out of the book to well.

Thoughts please from those who were there.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

War of the White Roses and Richard Hutton

January 16 2017, 9:47 AM 

I think Hutton always felt he should have succeeded Close as captain and when Boycott got it he sulked and left the game shortly afterwards. I don't think he has ever forgiven Boycott even after all these years hence his letter to Colin Graves objecting to Boycott being nominated as president.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

Re: War of the White Roses and Richard Hutton

January 16 2017, 1:17 PM 

When I was reading this book I read that my Great-Grandad (Walter Metcalfe) had written to the Yorkshire Post to complain about Boycott's appointment. I know very little about him, but reading my surname and my home town, it really surprised me.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 16 2017, 1:36 PM 

Few come out of those years well, including us as supporters I'm afraid. Hutton is about the only bloke who has been just about completely unable to move on.

As for Boycs, I think most who played with him in the sixties had some doubts, or worse, about him as a personality and therefore as a captain. By the mid seventies however they had left and been replaced by a young team who by and large respected and looked up to him. Tactically he was a good skipper, if a little cautious, as you might imagine. We had an excellent 1975, when we came second. Then in 1977 he got back in the England side and it was different after that.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 16 2017, 2:58 PM 

I think Idle Man has it just about right.
Quite why Hutton should be so unreconciled after all these years remains a mystery.
Boycott was a good Captain on the whole, whose best years were those which coincided with his rejection of England.
The 1975 side were an exciting bunch. Perhaps they peaked a bit early. By the time they were fully ready, Boycott was back with England and continuity was disrupted. Almost immediately after Boycott's 1977 England return the internal ructions began in earnest.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

January 16 2017, 4:06 PM 

I think Richard was burdened by his surname.
He thought it entitled him to respect and greatness - and never realised that those things had to be earned.

remit 1
(Login remit1)

season 1975

January 16 2017, 4:49 PM 

What you have to remember is that in 1975 the opposition was relatively weaker than the immediately preceding years or in the few years after.

It was the year of the first World Cup and it was held in mid-summer in England.

These were the days when counties could have as many overseas players as they could afford...and from being laden with stars they went to calling up their reserves when the World Cup teams called on their players to leave the counties to play in the tournament.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: season 1975

January 16 2017, 6:27 PM 

So you mean 75 was more of a level playing field where we competed against counties without three overseas players?

Unless they were South African of course like Procter, Barlow, Richards,

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: season 1975

January 16 2017, 9:24 PM 

The book makes the point about the absence of overseas players for some of 75 and the leveling of the playing field, but the world cup was a short affair, I don't think it weighted to heavily in the second place finish in 76.

Another decent seam bowler, a bit more consistency from Stevenson, Arnie and Ramage playing a little less football, Geoff not going back to England and Cope not being called for chucking and 77 to 85 could have been very different. I get the impression that in 75 we weren't far away. The impact of overseas players and additional South Africans did make it very tough to compete.

Hutton does come across as being full of his own self importance and with a sense of entitlement.He definately seems bitter about GB getting the captaincy. More or less tallies with the posts by Tyke1950 and Idle man.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk