<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

London Stadium

January 23 2017 at 5:04 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

I remember some talk about the London stadium being used for a T20, but now they are proposing to use it for the 2019 World Cup.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/1079160.html

On the one hand it may take more matches down to London, maybe even some penciled in for Headingley.

Maybe a million or two in compensation for not staging World cup matches would be more useful, the way finances are!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: London Stadium

January 23 2017, 5:09 PM 

Even more matches in the capital at the expense of the rest of the country.
Thanks a lot ECB, ruled & motivated solely by money with no regards for taking the game to all points of the country to encourage the next generation of players & fans!!!

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 23 2017, 8:26 PM 

....and should it be that the ECB, (contrary to Old Feller's understandable predictions), decides to stand by its intention to allocate a fixed number of matches outside London, you can be sure that the London venue to suffer in consequence will not be Lords. It will be the Oval - headquarters of the club that has lead the opposition to ECB plans for a restructured T20.

Call me cynical....

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

January 23 2017, 8:47 PM 

Having read the article it appears to be the ICC pushing this rather than the ECB. It is the ICC's tournament after all. Still, any chance to throw mud at "the ECB" hey chaps!

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

January 23 2017, 9:01 PM 

Perhaps the ECB could stand up to the ICC and explain that ensuring cricket is available away from London is something they're prepared to fight for?

This is about money.

I see some flying pigs!

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 23 2017, 9:04 PM 

Absolutely EYT!

Your point about the ICC is valid and I should retract my suggestion of devious ECB intent.
However, the establishment of a second venue in London would give the ECB the opportunity to circumvent the use of the Oval as a second London venue in any city based competition they might develop.

I can't claim any particular Maccviavelian insight. Tim Wigmore makes this point in the last paragraph of his article on the Cricinfo website.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

January 24 2017, 12:16 AM 

If they do cut Surrey out then, as the article suggests, they'll be entitled to compensation. Although the idea doesn't seem unreasonable if the grounds in London are a sell out and plenty more want tickets, then why not move some games to a bigger ground?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Taking money out of cricket

January 24 2017, 8:41 AM 

If you have a 60,000 seat stadium, which you are sure you can fill, and it's possible, with a few minor adjustments, to use for cricket then it's a no brainer.

Sorry Lords, the London Stadium is the obvious place to host the World cup final.

If you have a 60,000 seat stadium, which costs a small fortune to convert to cricket, you are not quite sure how many people will come to watch a couple of group matches, and you can't ensure it isn't going to be rained off anyway.

I think that's a no brainer too, especially as the money it costs to convert the ground is going to be largely lost to cricket.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

Re: Taking money out of cricket

January 24 2017, 9:43 AM 

I can see the attraction of a huge cricket ground, perhaps it could be trialled in domestic T20? Something like the Millennium/Murrayfield Magic Weekend in RL. Neutral ground,multiple matches, a big day out. It would also seem a good choice as the Finals Day venue.

(The big elephant in the room, can you actually sell 60,000 cricket tickets?)

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: Taking money out of cricket

January 24 2017, 11:21 AM 

I think I would be against a test match being played in the London Stadium but an ODI or T20 I think would be great. If England played a ODI there I have to say I would look into going. Although knowing me my interest might lessen when I work out the cost of it all.

I know its another subject but if it means the London Stadium can be used more often and claw back some of the scandalous costs of building it and the conversion for football is ok by me.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

2019 world cup

January 30 2017, 6:55 AM 

How about the London stadium Afghanistan v Scotland that will be a sell out ?.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: 2019 world cup

February 1 2017, 11:18 PM 

Could ICC guarantee selling out the venue for the WC Final? Could they even guarantee selling out Lord's for the final, especially if it was Australia v Windies, or S Africa v N Zealand? And even if so, would everyone who wanted to go to Lord's be prepared to accept the alternative?

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: 2019 world cup

February 2 2017, 8:34 AM 

Last time Lord's hosted the World Cup Final it was a complete sell-out for Australia v Pakistan - and they got a lousy game, a total walk-over.

I think the Stadium might be a good experiment for t20, I suspect there will be a strong preference for Lord's for the longer form. Mind you, the relationship between Lord's and the World Cup is an uneasy one; last time the members objected to having to buy tickets, rather than being able to exercise their right to walk in free on the day.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk