<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

BREAKING: Cook quits

February 6 2017 at 11:03 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Alastair Cook has resigned as England test captain after a record run of 59 matches at the helm.

He was England's all-time leading run-scorer but was he a great captain?
""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Feb 6, 2017 11:16 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: BREAKING: Cook quits

February 6 2017, 11:12 AM 

He got a cbe last week, and the forum gave him an extra e today Cook(e).

Note: Thanks, Marsker. Duly noted and corrected. Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Feb 6, 2017 11:19 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 6 2017, 11:18 AM 

The 4th worst England captain ever, so not a hard act to follow!!! Hopefully England will appoint someone with some personality, as his replacement.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

February 6 2017, 11:54 AM 

Yes, because appointing captains with "personality" worked so well with Botham, Pietersen etc.

Also, Stuart, I'd be interested to see who you think are the 3 worse captains than Cook?

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Feb 6, 2017 4:58 PM

(Login Jacobus24)

February 6 2017, 12:09 PM 

Strauss has said that Cook's country owes him a great debt of gratitude, i can only presume he doesn't mean England due to all the foreigners that end up playing.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 6 2017, 12:27 PM 

Two Ashes series victories plus series wins away from home in India and South Africa. I think most England captains over the last 40 years or so would take that. The whitewash in Australia and the recent hammering in India are big minus points though.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

February 6 2017, 12:57 PM 

According to Sky bookmakers have Joe Root at 1/20 favourite for the captaincy

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 6 2017, 3:14 PM 

"The 4th worst England captain ever, so not a hard act to follow!!"

Or if your glass is half full, the fourth best England captain ever (of those who captained at least 40 games), in terms of winning percentage. The fact that Atherton and Hussain have a worse record than Cook (but I find it hard to believe that they were worse captains), shows the benefits of captaining a high quality side.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

February 6 2017, 4:28 PM 

I am pleased that he has decided to step down, and hopefully, can now concentrate on his batting. As a batsman alone he has many qualities which England need. He was never a "natural" as a captain; the task never seemed to come easily and his tactical decisions often appeared cautious. He seemed to be too diffident in the way that he marshalled his resources; particularly in the field. However, he appeared to enjoy the support and respect those who played under his captaincy. In what is often referred to as his "ambassadorial role" he seemed to me to be pretty-well faultless. He was not the worst of England captains, but he was not the best either. He always appeared to me to be a thoroughly decent human-being. At the end of the day that is the highest accolade.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

February 6 2017, 5:27 PM 

I go along with what you say, Brickyard, completely.
Root seems to be the likeliest successor. He will do well to earn the same level of personal respect as Cook; though I hope he brings a little more speed and flexibility of thought to his on-field decisions.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

February 7 2017, 8:30 AM 

Swann suggest his Notts mate Broad would be a better choice.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/andrew-strauss-should-not-name-9770099

I have to admit there is part of me that wants to protect Root from the responsibility and scrutiny. The reality is though that he's no longer our young prodigy, he's one of the best cricketers in a generation. I really rate Broad as a player, but I'm not sure he has the temperament for captaincy.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

February 7 2017, 2:01 PM 

Yeah - i was hoping that Cook would keep going for another year because i'm worried for Joe.
To play T20, 50 over and Test Cricket and captain the side is surely asking too much of your best player...?

(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Goodbye Mr. Root

February 7 2017, 6:38 PM 

One thing's almost certain if Root takes on the job, and that his infrequent appearances for Yorkshire will become even rarer.
""

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

root

February 8 2017, 3:02 PM 

that's unless he looses form I remember micheal Vaughn coming back for lose of form .

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk