<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Jonny Bairstow in IPL auction.

February 6 2017 at 5:49 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

I suppose a cricket career is very short and you have to maximise your earnings, but after making a special case for Buttler last year, it now seems that an England White ball cap is now just a stepping stone to the IPL.

I suppose we might see him play for Yorkshire in 2017, though he will probably be deemed to have played too much cricket and will need to be rested!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2017/content/story/1081322.html

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Jonny Bairstow in IPL auction.

February 6 2017, 5:58 PM 

********. If he gets accepted, that is a big blow. We MAY have got JB for a couple of matches next season but with an IPL "gig", that will probably be zero. May was the only month with hardly any International matches and thus the only time there was a possibility of us getting the England players back. Not now!! We will be playing the whole of the 50 over comp without JB.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

February 6 2017, 6:47 PM 

I didn't expect to have him anyway. England start their season ridiculously early with one dayers against Ireland and SA in May

This message has been edited by twelthman on Feb 6, 2017 6:47 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 6 2017, 7:17 PM 

It's a blow but I don't think we would have seen much of him anyway. I don't blame any player for accepting an IPL gig - the money they can earn for a few weeks work is ridiculous. I suppose there's a chance he won't be picked up in the auction, England players don't seem to be as in demand in the IPL as they are in the Big Bash.

(Login Jacobus24)

February 6 2017, 7:42 PM 

Kiwi Ben Stokes has been included in the auction.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 6 2017, 8:36 PM 

The IPL is welcome to Ben Stokes, whatever his true nationality.

Perhaps he can remit part of his salary home to help his county out.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Feb 6, 2017 8:38 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

February 6 2017, 8:37 PM 

Think England now see The IPL as a finishing school for White Ball cricketers where they'll learn more and improve quicker than in any other competition. There's even talk of players missing the Ireland ODI's to stay at the IPL. Not sure I'm totally comfortable with that.
P.S. Great contribution to the debate there Jacobus!

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 6 2017, 9:26 PM 

Don't blame JB at all - to much money on the table not to get involved.Do we know how likely he is to be brought?

Also any other YCCC players involved? Cant understand why the likes of Root, Ras, TB and Willey wouldn't put their name forward and then see what happens.

February 6 2017, 9:40 PM 

Root has already said he's not entering the auction as he wants to spend time with his newborn
I wouldn't rule it out in future years though.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Handscomb is in

February 6 2017, 11:19 PM 

Our erstwhile overseas who quote plays all formats and will be available for most of the season unquote is in the auction.

IPL dates 5 Apr - 21 May.

That covers all our 50 overs group matches, plus 3 CC matches.

I don't think he has a cat in hell's chance of being picked up in the auction but I think the fact he has put his name forward, plus all the question marks about his involvement in the Champions Trophy, makes our infatuation with Aussies look very short sighted.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Handscomb is in

February 6 2017, 11:28 PM 

i heard our friend jacobus has put Andrew Hodd forward for the auction.

Dpressed
(Login dpressed)

February 7 2017, 9:01 AM 

Am I the only one who thinks that English cricketers playing in the IPL are having their cake & eating it. Their defenders say its only right that they should be allowed to earn money. Well OK but if anyone on here went into work & asked for time off to work for someone else they'd be told to either get back to work or leave.Yet English cricketers expect ot be able to miss part of the season to earn mega-bucks in the IPL then be welcomed back to thier county.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 7 2017, 9:37 AM 

If players are being paid by the ECB and encouraged by the ECB to improve their skills in the IPL then that is one thing. It's just a couple of players and we will have to live with it.

Players being paid solely by their County is another thing altogether and they must be available to play for their county throughout the season.

I suppose in the future clever agents will ensure players have some clause in their contracts to allow them to take time off to appear in the IPL, Splash, Jump, Celebrity big brother, or whatever else comes along to make them extra cash.

February 7 2017, 9:38 AM 

Funny you should say the Geoff..........he will giving up part of his salary!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/01/30/ben-stokes-faces-sacrificing-100000-central-contract-play-ipl/

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 7 2017, 10:09 AM 

Maybe IPL is something so lucrative that these days there is an acceptance that players must be given a chance to go for it. So whilst it does seem a bit surprising that Handscombe has been allowed to bid for the IPL (he has played before I seem to recall?) it may be a case that any player good enough to play in the IPL would forgo a county cricket season (which pays a fraction of the IPL gig) if they had the chance. They hold all the cards in those circumstances.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

February 7 2017, 1:01 PM 

If he has signed a contract with Yorkshire for the whole season then they must agree with his taking part in the auction ? If they are not agreed then he is in breach of contract ?

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Feb 7, 2017 1:02 PM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

February 8 2017, 5:46 PM 

I'm surprised Bairstow is even considering IPL Cricket when he is not a guaranteed pick in England's limited overs squads, especially when England have choices for keeper/batsmen in the upcoming Champions Trophy.

I somehow doubt an IPL side will pay top money for a player who is far from prolific in white ball cricket and not guaranteed to be availale for the entire competition.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 8 2017, 8:52 PM 

Ipl sides buy players on name and reputation just look at the long list of Aussie has Beene who used to get a gig.

Johnny not playing white ball cricket for England helps him surely as doesn't the ipl clash with our one day fixtures to some degree or has it moved again? Good luck to him and it might benefit Yorkshire t20 team in due course

February 9 2017, 8:37 AM 

"I'm surprised Bairstow is even considering IPL Cricket when he is not a guaranteed pick in England's limited overs squads"

Surely that's one big reason, the other being $$$, why he would put himself forward? A strong showing in the IPL will only push his case for inclusion in the England one day team.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 9 2017, 9:50 AM 

Yes, the players who get picked (and the values assigned to them) often bear no relation to their actual worth and track record. Ishant Sharma is the top rated IPL player in the auction. Yes he is a good cricketer but the best T20 bowler in the world? I don't think so

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk