<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Yorkshire Captains of England

February 8 2017 at 8:44 PM
WS55  (Login WibseySimon55)

In anticipation of what seems probably another one ...

.. please can someone say how many so far, and give us the list

Slightly embarrassed that I don't just know.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Yorkshire Captains of England

February 8 2017, 9:03 PM 

Root Vaughan Boycott Close Illingworth (but only after he went to Leicester) Hutton Yardley Jackson Hawke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_England_cricket_captains

Lots of others who have captained the youth side including some who never went on like Sayers and the Morris brothers and a few in the ladies side too. One was born in the Solomon Islands but played for Yorkshire. Great quiz question potentially!

We seem to have more than our fair share of youth skippers suggesting teenagers learn about cricket in Yorkshire more than anywhere else perhaps due to the leagues?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

February 8 2017, 9:37 PM 

Thanks ThirdUmp.

So that's eight so far, and a ninth on the way.

(Illy definitely should be included).

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

So...

February 9 2017, 8:58 AM 

Who was the greatest Yorkshire Captain/Player NEVER to captain England....?

In a different era i guess both Rhodes and Hirst would have made excellent captains..?
Moxon..?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: So...

February 9 2017, 9:17 AM 

And Herbert was offered the Yorkshire captaincy, by telegram whilst in Australia, but turned it down.

Relatively few Yorkshire and England captains because Yorkshire played few amateurs in their teams, usually just one figurehead captain. I liked the story about the captain who was strapping on his pads to bat next (AW Lupton, perhaps?) when he was told, "Don't bother, sir, Wilfred's declared!"

FS Trueman would have made a great captain. One out of one against the Aussies, and he claimed that win as the finest moment of his career. 1968 at Sheffield, I think, his Test days behind him.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

February 9 2017, 7:31 PM 

Third Umpire you've missed one - Rony Stanyforth :-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._T._Stanyforth

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 9 2017, 9:09 PM 

Aah, but he was born in London.....

But clearly a Yorkie with connections to Kirk Hammerton where I have very fond memories of a lovely little ground that you had to enter via a cattle grid and then an avenue with sheep grazing either side.

Also scene of one my few centuries many years ago...

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

February 9 2017, 11:06 PM 

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif Glad you could get in a mention of that, then TU!

Did you put him up to it, like a tame backbencher's question to the PM???

Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

Grey areas.

February 9 2017, 11:54 PM 

If you're excluding Stanyforth on the basis that he wasn't actually born in God's Own County, then Hawke and Vaughan would also have to be omitted.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Grey areas.

February 10 2017, 7:19 AM 

Ha!

Well if you can somehow get a link to Scotton Banks and Pannal Ash I will be complete....

Yes, if we discount those 3 plus Illy as he was England skipper when at Leicestershire then we are down to four with a fifth in waiting

Saltaire
(Login Saltaire)

Yorkshire Captains

February 11 2017, 6:38 PM 

Don't forget the first great Yorkshire captain - James Cook - skipper for the 1770 tour of New Zealand and Australia.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk