<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

T20 from 2020

February 8 2017 at 9:03 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Lots of stuff in The Times today. Lizie Ammon (Legside Lizzie on twitter)seems to be the one with the exclusive.

The Times online is behind a pay wall but its free (printed version) in your local library.

Key point:

Starts in 2020 but needs sorting now to sell TV/Media rights (approx 8 to 10 games in free to air TV)

8 teams - regionally based, not necessarily 'city' based

Comp is inaddition to county based T20 which will be over and done early season)

Squads of 15 including 3 o/s per team

Draft of all first class players so our players likely to end up everywhere

Value of players set independently with equal 'spend' per team in the draft - think fantasy league

Mid July start lasting for 38 days.

Test players NOT involved as tests will clash with T20 comp

50 over county comp at same time to occupy non selected players and members who prefer to watch their county

Teams likely to use more than one venue for min of four home games to broaden fan engagement

Players CAN play for local side, initial idea was that for example the Yorkshire players could NOT play for a Leeds based team

Teams run by local county clubs eg East midlands team will be organised by Notts, Leicester and Derby. County coaches and support staff expected to be released to work with these teams rather than the counties.

38 matches - top 4 from league of 8 into a Rugby league style play off with elimination and qualifying finals etc to find a final two.

Thoughts?

This message has been edited by sid-don on Feb 8, 2017 9:10 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dpressed)

Re: T20 from 2020

February 9 2017, 8:37 AM 

Here we go again. This will effectively kill off 50 over cricket (as the better players wouldn'y play in the competition) & I'll put money on them using it to cut more matches from the championship. The ECB will only be happy when they've killed off the county game, after which England will start moaning there's no cricketers with experience in playing long innings.

This message has been edited by dpressed on Feb 9, 2017 9:24 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 9 2017, 8:58 AM 

Crazy!! The ECB are marginalising the county game. The "city" based comp gets the "prime season" slot and the 50 over comp runs along side it with very few players left, after England calls and the IPL type auction taking all the better players.

Thin edge of the wedge for the county game, and we are diluting the potential audience by having two competitions running simultaneously.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 9 2017, 9:15 AM 

Lot of sorting out to do.

Not least finding large enough venues in order to 'broaden fan engagement'.

As it's a stand alone competition I think I can now get my head around someone from the Yorkshire team playing for the 'Bristol bombers'.

They will need some big sponsors willing to put their hands in their pockets to keep the entrance fees down and encourage the family audience, at least for the first few years.

You also need big names to attract the fans. Unfortunately cricket has rarely been shorter of big names.

Taking the likes of Root, Stokes, Ali out of the equation as Test players, you might be relying on some ageing T20 cowboys.

I personally think they have missed the boat but they seem intent on trying.

If it does get off the ground I may be looking to corner the market in fur lined, water resistant poncho's and get myself a trading license.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

February 9 2017, 1:01 PM 

If the report is correct and there are only 38 matches, some teams will have only three home matches if they fail to qualify from the round robin.
However, I don’t believe the objective is to build a new fan base for the regional teams. I think their market research has told them that people mildly interested in cricket only go to two or three matches per season and they cherry pick the best games. (That includes anything televised).
The new competition will be a made for TV product. Good for Sky, the players who make the cut into the regional teams, TV viewers, ECB coffers and possibly grass roots cricket if some of the extra revenue makes its way down to clubs.
From the viewpoint of forum members, by definition dyed in the wool YCCC supporters, the amended proposals are an improvement. There will be some 50 overs cricket to watch while the new competition is taking place, even if it is the second team that is playing. And the Championship will not be devalued by teams having to play matches under-strength.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 9 2017, 1:19 PM 

Still fail to see the logic. If 50 over cricket is undergoing a revival internationally, why time your only domestic comp to clash with the T20o comp? Our best players will only get exposure to T20 domestically and whilst the two forms of the game are converging in terms of approach, they are not the same.

If the aim was to prepare our players for international cricket we would be beefing up our 50 over comp and downgrading our T20 comp - since at an international level 50 over cricket is still played more than 20 over cricket.

So, it really is just about money raising. I agree that money is needed to invest back in the game, but it seems odd that this is then at the expense of player development at the professional level

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 9 2017, 2:04 PM 

What IS depressing to the County Championship supporter is that 39 days, in the best weather and during the school holidays, are to be taken out of the season.

There are 175 days, this approaching season, between first ball bowled and last, but two weeks at the start and one week at the end are outside the traditional window, so the real season is more like 155 days, from late April to mid-September. AND THIS GARBAGE HAS PINCHED A QUARTER OF IT, AND THE BEST QUARTER.

All winter we dream of the green fields of summer, those long, companionable days under the sun, but our grounds will be empty until sunset, when they will echo to the sound of the moronic drunks attracted to a game they care nothing for.

The fans said they didn't want T20 in a block; the members said they didn't want franchises. But Fuhrer Graves is going to march on Stalingrad anyway.

The sensible solution is so much simpler. Play 3 or 4 rounds of Championship cricket to get the season started. Then break off for a week or so of T20. Repeat this pattern all season, 4 chunks of fun T20 sandwiched between 5 of Championship.

The fans will be able to afford it, the players will be mentally rested.

50 over cricket? I hope it will die completely, as it deserves to. But a regional competition, out of season in Dubai or Windies, for England-qualified players only, should interest tour operators and TV, and would feed into the England team.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 9 2017, 2:35 PM 

I agree that 50 over cricket will die, possibly sooner rather than later. 2019 might even be the last world cup. I personally enjoy the 50 over format, but three formats is no longer feasible - it probably never was.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

February 9 2017, 4:00 PM 

Can spot many flaws with these proposals.

A Twenty20 tournament in July is not feasible from attracting quality Overseas players when it clashes with the Caribbean Premier League.

The current Future Tours Programme goes up to Summer 2019, international scheduling thereafter is unknown when the ICC are currently implementing plans for a Test and ODI Championship. In theory the ECB could not schedule test cricket in July if they want to hold a T20 competition.

As for curtailing the 50 over competition, Counties will never vote for that when it still generates revenue and gives all 18 sides an equal chance of winning silverware. Such a proposal is likely to affect membership numbers of non-test counties and threaten their futures, which goes against Colin Graves wishes for counties to achieve financial self-sufficiency.

Surely it is in the interests of multi-format players like Ben Stokes, Joe Root, Mark Wood etc to play in the flagship Twenty20 tournament and have it's own dedicated slot in the domestic calendar. Otherwise it becomes a Mini T20 Blast.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 9 2017, 5:21 PM 

If we can't compete with the Caribbean Premier League, then we might as well give up, now.

Australian Test players don't play in the Big Bash, except occasionally, on a one-off basis, and the foreign players it attracts are not top drawer; and our own England players will not play in the proposed ECB one, first season anyway, if I have understood the proposals.

Do our Counties really make money out of the RL50? Crowds seem similar to those in County Championship. What was new and exciting 50 years ago, seems boring today. Lord's finals are so poorly attended it's embarrassing. If Yorkshire were to get to one, I doubt I would even watch on TV.

I think T20 can be made to work - indeed it did work well - as a fun evening out for the fans and a really good generator of income, as well as a flagship for the Counties, to let the public know they actually exist. The only reason for playing fixtures in a block is to facilitate the hiring of overseas stars. That, to me, is irrelevant. Big Bash is easily the best, for reasons we have gone over repeatedly, despite the B-list stars it attracts, such as Bell and Bresnan, who won the thing.

We cannot replicate the Australian summer, with the Christmas holidays at its height and families on hand, looking for entertainment. Families with money LEAVE England in July and August! The fans, the family groups the ECB say they're trying to attract, say they can't afford 3 or 4 games in a fortnight...but Graves knows best.

It used to annoy me at work (all those years ago), when management would come to you and earnestly ask your opinion about some aspect of the job you were doing every day. Then, when you told them, based on experience and careful thought, they would say that's rubbish, you're wrong!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Based on experience

February 9 2017, 5:43 PM 

Although the RL50 doesn't suit you Dave it isn't necessarily doomed and can be an attractive day out for some of us.

We've lost our much loved 50 over games from Scarborough unfortunately, but I'm quite happy to drive to Leeds for a full days cricket, weather forecast permitting.

For T20 it would need to fit in with other family events to make the journey worthwhile.

Like all cricket in this country you need the weather to be on your side. The new timetable makes it a bit of gamble. On the plus side the block format should make it more a more interesting competition.

I do worry that the RL50 is too early this year but if Yorkshire are good enough to make the final you can spend your day as you like, I know where I and a lot of Yorkshire supporters will be.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 9 2017, 5:47 PM 

I disagree with you Dave re the 50 over competition. I think it is a great format, much much better than the 40 over game.

I do agree that these proposals will kill off the 50 over game. The first grade players will be unavailable away with England, the second grade players will be playing in the new T20 tournament at the same time, leaving just the third grade players for the 50 over comp. Crowds were poor anyway, so they will slump even more when teams will have NONE of the better players ever playing for them.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

February 9 2017, 10:01 PM 

and i disagree as well. i thoroughly enjoy the 50 over game, it is a full day of good entertainment. our local league is 50 overs and is a good day out, long enough to build an innings and properly formulate strategy. my first trip away this season is the game at worcester even though it clashes with an odi against ireland taking out england players away. now that is a pointless match.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

February 10 2017, 8:35 AM 

Pointless for us maybe, not so true for Ireland. They need support to develop their profile. They should already have test status. The unfairness of their situation will be fully illustrated in this match by the fact that England will probably be captained by someone who should be playing for them.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 10 2017, 12:50 PM 

I like 50 and 45-over league cricket, just as long as there's a draw option.

My quibble with 40 and 50 and 60-over County and International cricket is that the batsmen are too good to encompass their talents within the format. If they produced lovely greentops or raging bunsens for these games it would be wonderful to watch, batsmen battling for survival, fieldsmen round the bat, proper cricket.

But they don't, so it becomes a slog fest, especially when they bring the boundaries in further and further. It also annoys me that the top batsman is allowed to continue, to bat all innings, but the best bowler must be taken off after 10 overs, or whatever. That doesn't happen in the best league cricket.

The bowlers are reduced to bowling a variety of slower balls, including slow-ball bouncers, and the almost-wide yorker. It all makes for the ugliest imaginable cricket.

Yes, I admire these skills, and the variety of ramps and sweeps which the batsmen now employ to counter them, but what is fun over the short period of T20 becomes boring when it's all day for 7 hours.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

February 10 2017, 3:41 PM 

Plenty of variety in the scores in last years 50 over comp. Just how it should be.

The most torturous involving Yorkshire was when they tried playing 'proper cricket' in the first match and limped to 170 against Worcs. More of that? No thanks.

Ian
(Login Royalnavy)

February 13 2017, 3:08 PM 

i've had a brainwave, instead of trying to "grow" the game by taking this charade of a T20 competition (sorry money making exercise) to new places play the 50 over comp at grounds such as Bradford, Barnsley, Scarborough, Sheffield etc.

let everyone in for free, if the only players left are those not in a test or T20 squad then i cant see headingley being populated with many casual fans

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 17 2017, 6:08 PM 

And now artificial pitches, so every game is high scoring, favouring the batsmen and hindering the bowlers. Sanitised cricket!!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2017/content/story/1083052.html

Every game the same, 200-3 plays 201-4 and everyone goes home happy!! Or do they??

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Feb 17, 2017 6:12 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 17 2017, 6:51 PM 

At least they are honest when they say the game isn't meant for the likes of us.

'While long-term lovers of cricket may have reservations about artificial surfaces, the ECB's mantra over the new competition is that it is not designed to appeal to those already watching the game: it is designed to appeal to the vast potential audience that is currently immune to its charms. The ECB feels that providing such good-paced surfaces will help create the high-scoring, boundary-filled cricket it believes will attract that new audience.'

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 17 2017, 7:24 PM 

Next it will be 40 yd boundaries. Why not do away with bowlers completely, just pick 11 batsmen, have bowling machines set for the same speed every ball and competitions to see who can hit the ball the furthest.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk