<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Costcutters.

February 17 2017, 10:20 AM 

A lot of this debate is pointless or too late. 20/20 is now part of cricket at professional and amateur level. We need to accept it and live with it, it has some advantages, at professional level it makes money, at amateur level it gets kids interested and excited. And there's no point in talking about 60,000 members across the country to people who think they can get that number into the Olympic Stadium for one match.

I was lucky enough to go to a state school which took its cricket seriously. When I was in the 1st XI the event of the season was the MCC match. Now it's a 4 school t20 tournament, each school having bought its own set of coloured kit. Up the road there's a (rather poor) independent school. A new director of sport wanted to reinvigorate its moribund cricket, and bought in pyjamas and started playing t20. It worked. What I mean by real cricket - ideally three sessions with no limits on overs - has almost gone, indeed I've been asked by youngsters, 'Is this a declaration match?', something they clearly regard as abnormal.

I hate much of this, but there's no point in pretending it doesn't have its advantages, or that its supporters don't have the interests of the game as they see it at heart.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

February 17 2017, 2:59 PM 

I think what we`re forgetting is that Test Cricket, especially in England, is still popular and well supported - it still brings in important income which helps keep Counties solvent. If young batsmen are only coached to be 20/20 sluggers where are the future Test batsmen - who are able to bat for a day and a half if necessary - going to come from?

Test Cricket is still the pinnacle of cricketing excellence and should be the priority - if 20/20 can attract a new audience and appeal to more youngsters to take up the game all well and good.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

February 17 2017, 4:17 PM 

"I think what we`re forgetting is that Test Cricket, especially in England, is still popular and well supported - it still brings in important income which helps keep Counties solvent."

This is just not true.

Attendances at Chester Le Street and Edgbaston last year were appalling.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 17 2017, 7:02 PM 

Absolutely.

The first three days of the Ashes Test at Lords in July is one thing, Day 3/4 & 5 of Sri Lanka at Headingley in early May is another thing entirely.

We have potentially decent opposition at the height of summer this year and I'm pretty sure the sales team at Headingley, despite their optimistic newsletters, would describe the event as anything but 'popular and well supported'.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

February 17 2017, 7:39 PM 

I agree playing Tests at the most northerly venues in May is not a good idea.

From Yorkshire 2015 Accounts...

Total Income was £8,365,713 of which £2,440,612 was from International tickets & hospitality and £2,480,607 was the distribution from the ECB.

So 58.8% of YCCC income in 2015 came either from International matches at Headingley or the ECB

Did Test Match ticket sales not contribute to some of the £4,921,219 we received ?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

A bit of guess work

February 17 2017, 10:31 PM 

I'm not great at sums but 2015 was one year I was there for all five days of the test and the ODI.

The first two days of the Test were well attended but it went downhill for day 3 and day 4 and 5 were dire. Poor weather did play its part.

The ODI was a sellout.

2.4m income for all International tickets and hospitality.

Minus 1.3m for International expenses
Minus some part of 2.6m for the seasons overhead.

My guess is the Test match may have broken even, at best.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: A bit of guess work

February 18 2017, 11:11 AM 

We should have all the financial figures out within the next week. The AGM is 4 weeks today and the club have to give 21 days notice of it, so we can expect the profit/loss and finance details soon.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: A bit of guess work

February 18 2017, 5:35 PM 

Accounts and balance sheets are not my area of expertise, either, but tell me one thing, please.

Is the £2.4 million from International ticket sales a net figure, or one from which the expense of putting on an International match must be subtracted? That's bidding for the fixture, as I understand it, and all the wages of all the special staff employed, plus insurance against bad weather and refunds (someone pays this).

Durham seem to have lost out, and we have in the past, so I would expect the other side of the balance sheet to be not very different from this figure.

By contrast, 7,000 County members would generate something like £1.5 million, all clear profit and 4 months in advance of the season as well.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

More guess work

February 19 2017, 9:55 AM 

You would need more than the information on the balance sheet to be able to do a 'Full cost analysis' in order to weigh up whether the costs of staging the Test match was covered by the money it brought in. For 2015 I would guess break even due to a couple of good days.

The bald figures of 2.4m income against 1.3m costs don't tell the full story.

A good chunk of any profit on International days would have come from the sell-out ODI anyway.

The county could certainly do with increased income from members, but with less home fixtures and things being as they are, membership prices have been held yet again.

Let's hope for a successful season, with membership and general admission continuing to rise to plug the gap.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

Re: More guess work

March 10 2017, 2:27 PM 

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 10 2017, 4:56 PM 

It`s a straight forward bribe to the counties. Except the proposals or you get no pay-out.

Marketing it that England players will be available, but having no intention of releasing them is a massive con to the general public.

From the article

"......The domestic 50-over competition will continue at the same time despite the absence of the best 96 limited-overs cricketers; an average of five per county. That means, according to the ECB document, that "there is likely to be a requirement to play at out-grounds for counties whose venues are used by new teams......."

So we end up with a 50 over comp for more or less second eleven teams (taking the test players and the better county players out) and none of the matches at Headingley. Unless we opt out of the comp of course, but no chance of that when we have a £23M debt to pay off. The cash tills are ringing!!!!

Very sad and a disaster, that our great game is being run by a set of incompetents (putting it very mildly to my true feelings).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 10, 2017 5:35 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 10 2017, 7:30 PM 

"Venues will be chosen according to their capacity, transport links, catchment area, facilities and relationship with their local authority."

They aren't just trying to bribe the counties, they want the local authority in their pocket too!

Come on Yorkshire! Tell them to get stuffed.

(Login dpressed)

March 10 2017, 8:17 PM 

I've got the feeling that this league will be a massive success ...... In London ...... But I'm not sure how it will go outside Lords & the Oval

marsker
(Login marskeman)

March 10 2017, 10:24 PM 

watching the new zealand v south africa test yesterday, the commemtators referred to the excellent crowd. it was 3500, less than a good yorkshire county gate. test matches in england are far healthier.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

March 10 2017, 11:27 PM 

Population in Otago = 219,000
Population in Yorkshire = 5.33 Million and bigger than the whole of New Zealand

In terms of attendees per head of population, yesterdays crowd in Dunedin is pretty good going.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 12 2017, 12:54 PM 

For those anticipating watching some of the new T20 extravaganza free-to-air on your tv set had probably better think again (fifth item down) :-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-4302692/Muirfield-poised-axe-men-rule.html

(Login dpressed)

March 12 2017, 2:19 PM 

No surprise there YT. The only way they are going to generate the money quoted is byselling the TV rights to the highest bidder, namely Sky or BT

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 12 2017, 2:48 PM 

‘An element of free-to-air television is likely to form part of the new broadcast proposals. Yet it will not be free-to-air as we know it.’

Depends what this actually means - by 2020 I reckon most people will have a TV set that allows you to access internet directly (I speak as someone who has just got rid of my 16 year old telly with built in video player!) - but if this is just about viewing highlights packages rather than live games then it isn't really what people want is it?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk