<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Counties under threat.

February 14 2017 at 11:19 PM
Guest  (Login Tyke1950)

For those of us who fear for the future of County Cricket, the latest article by George Dobell on Cricinfo, sounds a further sombre warning.
Read and weep.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Counties under threat.

February 15 2017, 9:10 AM 

I couldn't really understand this article.

Are the ECB saying it's unfair that it's so difficult for someone in somewhere like Norfolk to find a pathway into first class cricket that they need to close some academies in order to make it more difficult for everybody.

I would suggest you could go to an inner city school within a couple of miles of a cricket academy and find the pathway just as difficult.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2017/content/story/1082417.html

(Login BrickyardBoy)

Supermarket Mentality

February 15 2017, 9:18 AM 

The model used by the ECB ever since Lord McLaurin, not surprisingly given his background with Tesco, has been that of the supermarket.

The parallels between cricket and the supermarkets have been startling and the attempts to replace corner shop suppliers (counties) with out of town hypermarkets, though resisted, has been insistent. Regional teams (that number 8 again) having been avoided so far, the new attack comes in the form of 8 regional academies, divorcing nurture of talent from the county game. With no pathway for young talent into the county game, it will wither more quickly, to be replaced by 8 regional teams, which few County cricket followers will want to watch. Bring on instant cricket (pile it high and sell it; well not so cheap on the telly).

Of course, the argument will be all in favour of greater efficiency and the needs of Teams England, but in the end there will be no corner bakers, butchers, grocers, fismongers etc; only open-all-hours T20 alcohol outlets.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Feb 15, 2017 9:21 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Supermarket Mentality

February 15 2017, 10:32 AM 

Yes, I found the article depressing, too, like most things that emanate from ECB, which has downgraded from Tesco to Costcutter, with a dash of woeful Waitrose thrown in.

The essential difference is this. I shop mainly (60%) at Tesco because it is nearest to me; there's also an Aldi, a bit further away, which is better for some things, and cheaper by far, and a Morrison's about a mile further, which is the best of all - in my opinion, of course. Perhaps 35%.

But I support Yorkshire, because I'm a Yorkshireman, steeped in the history of our county. If someone 'opened' a cricket club across the road, even one better than Yorkshire in every conceivable way, I would still support Yorkshire. The new club might have eleven England superstars in a stadium like the MCG, but it wouldn't have Wilfred Rhodes or Hedley Verity as part of its history, nor Hutton, Trueman, Boycott, Close, Hoggard.....the list is almost endless.

I started shopping at Tesco when it opened because it was better than the Co-op Shopping Giant, where I used to go, and much better than the awful Sainsbury's, which was nearest. They have both gone, and do I care a damn? No I do not.

But I do care about Yorkshire and all the other County Cricket Clubs, and our problem is that the businessmen who run the game do not understand this, and they pose the greatest threat to cricket surviving to give as much pleasure to the next generation as it has to me.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

February 15 2017, 11:00 AM 

The problem is that almost everyone involved in the ECB has no understanding of or affection for cricket, which they see as a 'product', to be treated in exactly the same way as any other 'product' to be markets. Dessicated calculating machines who will destroy everything that makes the game unique, special and wort watching. A pox on them .

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 15 2017, 1:12 PM 

I can not see that closing Academys down is going to increase the opportunities for youngsters to get involved in cricket.

Less venues surely will mean less participants, especially if a huge amount of travelling is involved to regional venues.

I do despair all the time with the ECB. Do any of them have a clue on how to run our great game?

Dpressed
(Login dpressed)

February 15 2017, 2:14 PM 

Why do I think that this is all about of the ECB killing off the county system and replacing it with 8 'regions'? Of course many fewer will watch their first class matches, but that doesn't matter as they will only be played to produce players for England.

So where will the team be? Lords & The Oval are shoe ins, Edgbaston is very probable. Trent Bridge & the Rose Bowl are possibles. But will it be Headingley and/or Old Trafford, Bristol and/or Cardiff? Sadly I see Durham (Chester-Le-Street) being ditched, along with Derby, Essex, Leicester, Northants, Kent, Somerset, Sussex, Worcester.

Oddly Australia are looking to increase the number of team in the Big Bash

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

February 15 2017, 4:42 PM 

I fail to see how reducing the number of Academy/Cricket Centres from 18 to 8 is going to increase the chances of talented youngsters being identified and encouraged to become cricketers.

Durham and Northants will probably not be among the 8 but have a good record in producing International Cricketers.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

February 15 2017, 11:42 PM 

At a time when Sam Billings scores a quality 78 not out off 50 balls for Islamabad United in the Pakistan Super League, one wonders where the ECB will have these eight "regional training hubs".

I bet they won't be at Northampton, Taunton, Cockermouth or Royal Tunbridge Wells where some of the current England players plyed their trade from a young age. The irony is Jos Buttler, Ben Duckett, Sam Billings, Chris Jordan, David Willey, James Taylor made their name from non-test playing counties.

Having regional training hubs is a good idea in practice, but to compliment the current coaching structure and located in Minor County areas to cover all areas in England and Wales.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Costcutters.

February 16 2017, 8:23 AM 

Perhaps the report is more about saving money than improving pathways.

"The report also suggests some centralisation of services, such as strength and conditioning, physio and psychological support, while it calls for greater emphasis on white-ball cricket - "predominantly T20" - for younger players. If implemented, the report would almost certainly result in job losses."

I presume the county academies receive substantial financial support from the ECB.

George Dobell wrote another article quite recently talking about possible redundancies at the ECB, David Graveney was mentioned as being up for the chop.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: Costcutters.

February 16 2017, 9:47 AM 

Just perhaps we have been focusing in this thread on the 8 regional academies and overlooking the other, equally, if not more, disturbing announcement that young players should be inculcated with white ball play rather than real cricket.

In my opinion this is deplorable.

The majority of cricketers never become professional players; they play in the evenings and at weekends as a pass-time and for pleasure. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why such players should be fobbed-off with the crudity and razz-ma-tazz of a type of play which is, in my opinion, ugly and inferior.

To draw a parallel; not all music has to be played on guitars and synthesizers; the violin, cello, flute, trumpet and piano have been instruments of great beauty and should be valued for their intrinsic worth, as should the music which they can produce. Let those who want to play bass guitar do so, but please do not make it the only thing on offer to the young.

Similarly with cricket let those who want to watch and play these media-friendly, inferior mutations do so, but do not make them the only thing available. Particularly so with our young people. They represent the future and should be given the chance to experience high culture; the alternative is a descent into barbarism; a trend which the present-day seems determined to facilitate with sad disregard for the potential outcome. For me cricket has the power to be beautiful (think of a Lyth cover drive), baseball for me is brutally unpleasant.

I will not be supporting the ECB proposals at local level.

I would be interested to know how others feel.

Ball_Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

February 16 2017, 3:22 PM 

BrickyardBoy

Well, you did ask…..

Right back at you…. how do you intend to fund Real Cricket? If not through media friendly inferior mutations?

I do my best to fund Real Cricket. I'm a member at two Counties & two Australian State Associations. I travel to Test Series abroad & chuck my money at the turnstile.

I go to 50 Over & 20 over inferior mutation if it suits me, but it's not my preferred format. Home Truth. I won't slag off white ball cricket. As that is biting the hand that feeds red ball cricket.

Real cricket. Inferior mutation. Really? That's it is it? It's a Cross Subsidy which allows you n me to prat around on the Cello.

My favourite group is The Fall. The last time I looked, “profits” from their record sales were not being used to keep the Royal Symphony Orchestra going.

Your parallel, not mine. Park pitches, wee in the trees out the back, players not being able to get time off their day job to play, tailenders borrowing the openers pads once he's out, get there at 0800 to roll the pitch, be there at 2100 the night before still mowing the pitch. Without the white ball financial cross subsidy, that's how REAL it'd be.

Everyone calm down, there's room enough. White ball cricket needs red ball cricket. Red ball cricket needs white ball cricket. It's both, not either or.

Baseball is a superb game. Biggest numbers through the turnstile of any ball game on earth. Name calling doesn't help. In my humble opinion.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

February 16 2017, 6:27 PM 

I enjoy all forms of the game whilst believing in the primacy of the longer forms.

For me, this is not an issue about the relative merits of white ball and red ball cricket. It's an existential assault on the integrity of the County structure.
It seems apparent that the ECB has no faith in it and seeks not to finesse or 'reform' it; rather it seeks to replace it with something unproven.
It seeks to ride roughshod over the 60,000 or so County Club members and the many others who support the County game as presently constituted. It does so in the pursuit of money and in the even less tangible pursuit of long term loyalty from that section of the population seeking something to do in the few weeks between the end of one football season and the beginning of another.
It's actions are cynical, ruthless, short-sighted and against the long term interests of the game. It is a source of great personal shame that its foremost proponent is our former Chairman and that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is unlikely to take a stand against the ECB because of its parlous financial dependency on the ECB Chairman.

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

February 16 2017, 8:20 PM 

County Cricket, red ball, white ball, 3 day, 4 day, 20 over, 40 over, 45 over, 50 over, 55 over, 60 over, 65 over, one division, two divisions, North Group, South Group, balanced fixtures, unbalanced fixtures, whites, pyjamas, natural light, floodlights, all UNSUSTAINABLE. It does not generate enough revenue to pay the player's wages & to maintain the pitches & stands in an even basic condition.

County Cricket has to take money from elsewhere. From ECB revenue mainly drawn from International Cricket. From taxpayers. From Graves like Sugar Daddies. From somewhere.

Those 60k County Members (if that's what it is) are not enough.

Take money from elsewhere or downsize - fewer players & coaches, predominantly part-time unpaid players, poorer pitches, bad drainage, bring your own chair.

Letting County Cricket die by refusing the reality, putting our heads in the sand - now that is ruthless, short sighted & against the long term interests of the game.

It is difficult to have faith in a County structure that is completely unsustainable. Be a Chief Exec. Be a Chairman, Be Denison. Be Durham. There ain't much wiggle room. Look I get it ...... initiative after initiative, constant tinkering, so much focus on the England team, Counties produce those players, they've played at Clubs, they've played in the County Academies, they've played in The 2s. But, I can't afford to pay for all that on my own - I'm giving it a good go, but .......

Phil
Twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

(Login BrickyardBoy)

February 16 2017, 8:37 PM 

Ball_Sup

My concern is not in this instance with how to pay for professional sport. Rather I am concerned that children and other young players be given the opportunity to play red ball cricket as well as white ball cricket.

Perhaps I was remiss in allowing my own antipathy to T20 white ball to cloud what I was trying to say on this issue.

So let me be clear. I am very concerned that the ECB want to direct young players away from red ball cricket. If that is allowed to happen, then it is only a matter of time before red ball cricket ceases to exist at any level; international, county, league or club. That would be a mighty loss.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

February 16 2017, 8:41 PM 

Perhaps we should come back and talk about all this in 10 years time,if I'm still alive and if YCCC still exists.

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

February 16 2017, 8:51 PM 

BrickyardBoy

But, young players - 6 year olds, 12 year olds, 16 year olds & club players 18 year olds, 38 year olds already play one day cricket.

It's only the Minor Counties & First Class Counties who play "more than one day" cricket.

Children can't play anything other than one day cricket can they?

Help me out Mate, what am I missing in your argument?

(Login BrickyardBoy)

February 16 2017, 9:10 PM 

Ball_Sup

I know that young players play 20 over cricket and there is nothing wrong in that; in many ways it is as much as they are capable of playing. However, they do not necessarily play it according to T20 regulations relating to field placings and other restrictions and, where properly organised, they are not encouraged slog at everything that is sent down.

"The report.....calls for greater emphasis on white-ball cricket - "predominantly T20" - for younger players"

My argument is that there should be the scope for young players to continue to play in the red ball tradition AS WELL AS the white ball version.

Does that help.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 16 2017, 9:32 PM 

It is a bit of a minefield and it certainly could lead to the possibility that some promising young batsmen, who don't yet have the beef to generate the big hits are marginalised and lost to the game.

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

February 16 2017, 9:58 PM 

Brickyard Boy

Thanks. I see where you're coming from.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk