<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Best Yorkshire one day team

February 16 2017 at 9:05 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Some serious matters currently on other threads, so for some light relief.

A regular winter discussion has been our all time Yorkshire eleven (first class). A variation for the current winter. Select your all time Yorkshire one-day eleven from players who've played one day cricket for the county.

A few rules:

Players must have played an A list match for Yorkshire and selection is based upon one day performance.

The following are unavailable. DB Close and FS Trueman (not really YCCC one day players).

Only one overseas player

Game is 40 overs per side - old Sunday league rules.

I'll start:

Craig White
Geoff Boycott
Joe Root
Darren Lehmann
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Gary Ballance
Adil Rashid
Graham Stevenson
Tim Bresnan
Darren Gough
Ray Illingworth (C)

However I may reflect further and amend.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Best Yorkshire one day team

February 17 2017, 7:48 AM 

So, the only man to captain Yorkshire to more than one one-day trophy is not available because he's 'not really a Yorkshire one-day player'?

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 17 2017, 1:07 PM 

Idle man - poor use of words by me when describing Close and Trueman - apologies.

My context to the question. I've really enjoyed previous threads when we've selected theoretical 'great' Yorkshire teams. We've had wonderful posts and I've learned a lot. However, when all has been said, there is a nucleus of players who in 'all time great' YCCCs elevens have to play (Trueman, Hirst, Verity, Rhodes, Hutton, Sutcliffe, Boycott, Close). There's limited debate and we're often talking about players we've never seen play.

With recent one day cricket, I'd suggest it's more uncertain who we collectively rate the highest. We can construct arguments based on performance and people we've all seen play. To stimulate debate I omitted two players (Close and Trueman) who would be automatic 'picks' for most.

As an aside Close and Trueman did play little A list cricket for Yorks - Close 32 games and Trueman 11. Close played most of his one day cricket at Somerset.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Feb 17, 2017 1:09 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 17 2017, 1:17 PM 

Vaughan
Elliott (yes, for one knock but it won us the trophy!)
Root
McGrath
J Bairstow
White
Bresnan
Plunkett
Rashid
Gough
R Sidebottom

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

February 17 2017, 2:54 PM 

Vaughan
Moxon
Root
Love
J Bairstow
D Bairstow
White
Bresnan
Stevenson
Rashid
Gough
R Sidebottm

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

February 17 2017, 3:44 PM 

Moxon (capt.)
Metcalfe
Root
Bairstow (J)
White
Bevan
Old
Rashid
Stevenson
Gough
Sidebottom (R)

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 17 2017, 4:37 PM 

In many ways much more difficult than picking a four day outfit where the basics of the game and the approach haven't changed so much.

I suspect if we still played 40 over cricket scores of 300+ would happen frequently. The temptation is to pick players from yesteryear (e.g. Stevenson) who were aggressive then and who would fit in with the modern day tempo - but they were outliers in their day. We will never know how players who now seem pedestrian by modern standards might have fared were they brought up with today's style of cricket. So Carberry is a good example of someone who generally plays technically correct cricket - is by no means a slogger. You suspect that Moxon would have been capable of playing a similar role in the modern game. He could score quickly when needed.

By contrast, you suspect that the lack of quality spinners in the modern game means that Illingworth and Carrick would walk into any one day side now. But then if they were playing now would they be as good as they were then? Carrick's list A record was 249 wickets @30 SR of 47. Economy of 3.86 Very handy indeed by today's standards/

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 18 2017, 11:18 AM 

Craig White (C)
Ashley Metcalfe
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Gary Ballance
Michael Bevan
Graham Stevenson
Tim Bresnan
Liam Plunkett
Adil Rashid
Chris Old

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 18 2017, 1:04 PM 

Just for old times' sake, I think the team should include Arnie Sidebottom, who would bowl his overs straight off at the beginning of the innings and then be helped off to have his back massaged.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 19 2017, 10:21 AM 

My team:

Michael Lumb
Phil Robinson
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Michael Bevan (o)
Gary Ballance
Craig White (c)
Tim Bresnan
Darren Gough
Graham Stevenson
Liam Plunkett

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 19 2017, 4:48 PM 

Metcalfe
Lumb M
Root
Bairstow J
Love
Bevan
White
Bresnan
Illingworth
Old
Stevenson

With Rashid, Ballance pre England selection, Bairstow D, Lehmann and Gough offering squad rotation.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 20 2017, 10:01 PM 

As self appointed chair of selectors I'll pull together a composite side, however a few stats to ponder.

Graham Stevenson is included by most. Lets have a look at his numbers:

Stevo played 217 runs 1710 @ 12.66 wickets 290 @ 23.51

Players from a similar era and included by no-one (and probably not that close to inclusion)

Chris Silverwood P 166 892 runs @ 14.62 wickets 224 @ 23.26

Pete Hartley p 219 1609 runs @16.76 wickets 283 @ 26.41

Paul Jarvis played 144 529 runs @ 11.50 wickets 213 @ 21.99

Gav Hamilton p 101 1059 runs @ 20.36 wickets 121 @ 23.16

Stevo certainly more than than his numbers. Strange how we remember different players.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 21 2017, 9:44 AM 

Fascinating stuff. We can only speculate about how Stevo would have performed in the modern game, with much more attention to diet and physical fitness.

Paul Jarvis could have been a supreme player in the modern short form (fitness permitting) and probably a gun for hire in the overseas T20 leagues. A quick google suggests that he now runs this place:

http://www.sherston-angel.co.uk

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

February 21 2017, 1:41 PM 

Played against Jarvis in schools cricket. Well, that is to say I faced one ball against him - never saw the dam' thing! Glad to see that I was not alone in that, as he progressed.

Think I've weathered a bit better than he appears to have, but hope his business thrives.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 21 2017, 3:54 PM 

Yes, I too can vouch first hand how good Jarv was in t20 matches and that was long before they were ever invented in their current format.

I had to play against him three or four times a year for club and school in 20 over games but sadly he was allowed to bowl more than 4 overs in some games.

Got me out first ball too, and would have done again in the reverse fixture but his partner in crime from the other end beat him to it.

Who was your school Fraisse? I'm a Laurence Jackson old boy so may have played against you as well.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk