<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: Well....?

February 20 2017, 11:06 AM 

I'm disappointed that we haven't replaced Gale, as for losing him from the actual team isn't a bad thing his average last season was very poor.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 20 2017, 11:15 AM 

Funny how Andrew Gale's name always prompts significant debate. Before his position as coach was announced, I think the consensus on here was that he should continue as captain. His form with the bat was poor last season, but he got 1000 runs the season before. Which Gale would have turned up in 2017? We will never know.

As for replacements, we know that Borthwick had discussions with the club. We must assume that other discussions have taken place as well. We were in a weak position to attract domestic players until the coaching issue was settled. By then, all the decent players had been snapped up. I don't think the club has ever ruled out making another domestic signing - it just hasn't worked out so far.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

February 20 2017, 11:45 AM 

Hi Martin

Is the Borthwick talk from recently ? He's a decent player I'd love to see him play for us.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 20 2017, 12:09 PM 

The obvious targets this winter were Borthwick, Stoneman, and Davies. We know there were discussions with Borthwick, so it is possible, indeed likely, that there were discussions with the other two. If you're in competition with Surrey, you're likely to be second-best financially. In the case of Borthwick, if I was him, I would not have wanted to go to a county with an established leg-spinner, even though it's very much the second string to my bow. Similarly, I doubt if Davies wanted to join the county of the current England keeper. There may have been all sorts of personal issues and preferences involved too.

While I support the club's cautious approach to additions to a very together dressing-room, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they never try to make additional signings, indeed Gale spoke last year about his preference for good domestic signings over foreigners whose availability is always uncertain.

As far as Gale's own appointment is concerned, here too we have thrown around names without any knowledge of whether they were willing to come. Gale would not have been my choice, but the feeling seems to have been that we have an established squad and familiarity with them and the ethos of the last few years is an asset. I can see some logic in that; I certainly don't see it as a poor appointment. I have a lot of respect for Martyn Moxon's judgement and will observe the outcome with interest.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

February 20 2017, 12:23 PM 

Left wing politics are dying.....?
Bugger. No-one told me.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 20 2017, 12:53 PM 

Nor me! Apparently I'm upset about it!

(Login Fozzie1973)

February 20 2017, 1:46 PM 

the appointment of Gale as coach is as uninspiring as Corbyn is as a leader, hopefully he has more idea

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

February 20 2017, 2:01 PM 

There's a great idea to pass next years winter break. left wing XI v Right wing XI.

FIDEL (Castro) Edwards opening the bowling for the left, obviously.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Feb 20, 2017 2:01 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 20 2017, 2:07 PM 

Vic Marx?

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

February 20 2017, 2:23 PM 

The Club website says the UCCE match is First Class.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

February 20 2017, 2:34 PM 

Liam Blunkett?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 20 2017, 3:07 PM 

Their first two matches each season for the Universities are always classed as First-class, but none of the others are (for some strange reason)!!

(Login dpressed)

February 20 2017, 4:18 PM 

Luke (W)Right

Phil 'Red Robbi's Robinson

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

February 20 2017, 5:22 PM 

HEATH Streak..?
Michael "Nye" Bevan..
Vic WILSON...?

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

February 20 2017, 6:43 PM 

Don't forget Theresa's husband Peter.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

February 20 2017, 7:50 PM 

Len(in) Hutton

I think the left are romping to victory at the moment. It's been a while since we've heard that one.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 20 2017, 8:35 PM 

Trump(er)

Or Imran (You can call me Ghengis) Khan.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Feb 20, 2017 8:47 PM

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

February 20 2017, 8:41 PM 

GLADSTONE Small?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 20 2017, 9:14 PM 

Ooh that's good...I wish I'd thought of that one.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

February 20 2017, 9:35 PM 

Left wing politics is not dead, rather going through a "1970-2001 YCCC" period!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk