<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Well....?

February 17 2017 at 4:56 PM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

How many days until the season starts.............?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Well....?

February 17 2017, 5:00 PM 

I was just looking at my work diary before I log off and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw in April! Cricket!!!!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 17 2017, 5:53 PM 

44 days to go!!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

February 17 2017, 10:06 PM 

7 weeks to the first championship match does not seem long at all.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 17 2017, 10:37 PM 

Thermals - Check
Woolly hat - Check
Fleece x 2 - Check
Big coat - Check

And that's even if you spend the day in the long room!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

February 18 2017, 12:06 AM 

Yeah, I have a Soviet-era tank commander's fur hat, bought Moscow 1980, made for facing Hitler in a Leningrad winter, now exclusively reserved for April county cricket. Ear-flaps vital.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

February 18 2017, 9:20 AM 

Personally I can't wait but as others have said the start of the season will be cold. My coldest day last year was at Edgbaston it was freezing.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 18 2017, 9:25 AM 

Feels a lot like spring in London this weekend, it will probably be colder in April!

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

February 18 2017, 9:32 AM 

Usually after a winter on this part of the East Coast, Headingley in April seems almost balmy - or should that be barmy ?

(Login Jacobus24)

February 19 2017, 3:41 PM 

I'm still very underwhelmed by the decision taken to appoint Andrew Gale as coach as well as the blinkered approach to developing players. My hope is that Peter Handscomb bats at 5, hopefully then consistent runs can be accumulated. When analysing Gale's association with the club i feel that there is a sense of self-entitlement to him being employed and that many members on this forum seem to endorse this stance.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 19 2017, 5:18 PM 

What exactly is a "blinkered approach to developing players"? If you're referring to not signing players in the manner of a football club, and not appointing a "superstar" coach, how many times does it need pointing out to you that the club is SKINT?

(Login Jacobus24)

February 19 2017, 6:23 PM 

So appointing Gale in your opinion was a cost cutting measure? plenty on here raised this scenario and some suggested it was very disrespectful to post such a view. I don't see how signing a domestic batsman to replace the outgoing captain or signing Steven Davies as a long term replacement for Bluey can be viewed as being financially reckless. Being skint suits your view of the club predominantly developing players and not signing outsiders.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 19 2017, 6:36 PM 

I would support the management team that has seen us finish 2nd, 1st, 1st and 3rd in successive seasons.

The "blinkered approach" that has seen Root develop from Yorkshire Academy Junior to England captain, that has seen Lyth, Bairstow, Ballance and Rashid all take the route from Academy to International team, that has produced an XI which not only wins but which plays with joy, and communicates that enjoyment to those who have the privilege of watching them...yes, I find myself able to support the management that has done that.

There is no guarantee that Gale will do well, but he was identified early in his career as one with leadership qualities, and the (then) brave decision to make him captain was rewarded on the field. As with every other head-coach/manager in the world, in all sports, anything might happen in 2017, but surely he has earned the chance.

Likewise, there is no guarantee that Handscomb will make runs. He's a Test player, so he probably will - but Blewitt didn't, nor did Yuvraj Singh. If runs were guaranteed, the game wouldn't be worth playing.

I suppose Root might get the odd game for us, early season, and if so I would expect Handscomb to bat 5. Otherwise, I imagine he will be at 3. I do not expect him to keep wicket, at least not in the Championship.

For all the doubts, concerning the availability of 7 potential England players, concerning the ageing pace attack, and indeed the new management structure, I can hardly wait for the action to start on April 7th.

47 days, or only 42 until the Leeds Bradford Uni game. 6 weeks!

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 19 2017, 9:41 PM 

No Jacobus, I don't think appointing Gale was a cost cutting measure, he was appointed because Moxon thinks he's up to the job, just as Moxon identified Gillespie when he was coaching in Zimbabwe and on no one else's radar. The club being skint is just a fact, unless you have a Donald Trump-like understanding of what a fact is.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 19 2017, 9:43 PM 

Don't think you can say much fairer than that!

(Login Jacobus24)

February 19 2017, 10:04 PM 

Seadog seems upset because left-wing politics is dying, try finding policy solutions instead of moaning. Brad Hodge was a better candidate for the job, i'm personally disappointed for the club that this decision was not taken.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

February 19 2017, 11:06 PM 

Unless if there is a large expense waiting to be announced in the forthcoming AGM, I thought the clubs balance sheet is looking healthy? Especially when ticket sales for the Sri Lanka test was on a par with South Africa 2012 and domestic attendances are on the up.

Yorkshire fans have every right to feel underwhelmed going into the 2017 season. While Jason Gillespie leaving was going to happen to some stage, I expected a more high profile appointment for continuity than a player with zero coaching experience regardless of Gale's attributes and qualities.

Since Yorkshire talk about cracking white ball cricket, surely it would make sense to appoint a First Team coach who has those credentials whilst Gale learns his trade as a 2nd XI Coach. Then when the transitional period comes, Gale becomes a ready made replacement knowing how the next generation of players inside and out.

As Jacobus mentions, Yorkshire have not addressed the signing of a domestic batsman for three formats when it was a position that needed filling before Gale's change of career. Such of the lack of senior batsmen available, Yorkshire are one international call up or injury away from either playing an academy player or improvising with a bowling all-rounder.

Then we have Jonny Bairstow wanting to play IPL Cricket and he's not even centrally contracted to play white ball cricket! Yorkshire should have objected for that reason along with the small squad.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 20 2017, 8:13 AM 

Some of the people who were screaming for Gale to be dropped last year now seem to feel he has left a gaping hole. Had he been left out in August/September who would have taken his place? Is that person not available to take his place now?

(Login matthefish2002)

February 20 2017, 9:51 AM 

Always get the cricket season feeling once the clocks change in March.

Is the Uni game still regarded as a First class game or not?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

February 20 2017, 10:13 AM 

Gale was a gaping hole last season. So needed replacing either way. There isn't going to be any competition for places amongst the batsmen.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk