<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

BREAKING NEWS | Ryan Sidebottom announces his retirement

February 22 2017 at 12:48 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

photo sidebottom_zps79vw6hh2.jpg
Yorkshire & England cricketer Ryan Sidebottom has announced his decision to retire at the end of the 2017 cricket season.

What a loss!!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: BREAKING NEWS | Ryan Sidebottom announces his retirement

February 22 2017, 6:52 AM 

I think we all knew this was coming one day soon and rather then viewing as a loss I prefer to see it as a gain for getting more out of him in the last three years than most people do with fast bowlers after 35.

Nice to announce now ahead of the season rather than at the end.

Surely there is a role for him on the coaching side after to help develop the young bowlers as Esso did for years

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 22 2017, 8:02 AM 

Magnificent career, great bloke. The word "legend" is overused but it's appropriate for this man.

Dpressed
(Login dpressed)

February 22 2017, 8:32 AM 

It had to happen. We'll miss him.

And we have to win the Championship for Ryan

(Login ExiledinNotts)

February 22 2017, 8:36 AM 

To be expected but he will be a loss. Let's win the championship for him now.

(Login Tyke1950)

February 22 2017, 8:56 AM 

Ryan has enjoyed a wonderful career. He's a model professional and the template for modern Yorkshire cricket.
As a player he has exceeded all my initial expectations and eclipsed his remarkable, tireless and lovable father. There have been very few Yorkshire cricketers who have achieved more.

I always remember Arnie bowling his heart out when the opposition seemed to need just 90 to win. They'd get to 25 for 4; Annie would run out of puff and that would be that.
I remember Ryan, two or three years ago at Scarborough, turn the family shade of purple after ten consecutive overs in a critical winning effort. All of us watching we're proud to be associated with such a special performer.
Unlike his dad, he was usually lucky enough to have someone impressive to back him up at the other end - but he never really needed luck.

Ryan is a pedigree bowler and the single most important factor in our recent Championship successes. I'll treasure the few remaining chances to see this remarkable cricketer. I'm sure we'll all have moments when we regret his absence in the years to come.

Good luck to him and here''s hoping for a final Championship triumph to cement his place among the best of Yorkshire's players.

Ryan Sidebottom is a truly great cricketer.

(Login Jacobus24)

February 22 2017, 9:12 AM 

I personally think Jack Brooks has been just as important as Ryan, it certainly won't be the bowling that hampers the club winning the title again.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 22 2017, 9:32 AM 

He was on radio Leeds earlier. Talked about doing more work with his foundation which supports under-privileged kids (to learn cricket?) after he retires. We know this but what a thoughtful and thoroughly decent bloke he is. A great example of someone who is fierce on the field but charm personified off it.

(Login matthefish2002)

February 22 2017, 10:02 AM 

At nearly 40 this is not surprising news for Sidebottom.
Looking forward even more now to seeing him this summer.
Think Gillespie called him a Rolls Royce of a player and think this sums him up perfectly.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 22 2017, 11:18 AM 

In a class of his own as a bowler, in his "second coming" to Yorkshire.

He was a bit of a slow starter, as a youngster with a famous father. Apparently told by one of the Yorkshire under 15 coaches that he was no good (!) - I know he played on the Yorkshire 2nd XI at that age group because he twice played against my Manchester team - and always behind Paul Hutchison as a young left-arm bowler with the County. He was also injury prone, and there was little fuss when he left Yorkshire for Notts.

He went on to mature as a bowler, and Peter Moores recognised the talent that Duncan Fletcher was unable to see. Ryan led the England attack brilliantly for around three years. I was lucky enough to see him in supreme form in New Zealand in 2008.

I may have been wrong, but I saw him as Mr Grumpy (in a negative sort of way) when he first returned home. It took him a year or two to "buy into" the newly developing Yorkshire ethos, but once he had done so he was superb. The sights of him throwing his ageing body around to save one run on the boundary, or battling with the bat to rescue his team, were just as inspiring as his brilliant new-ball bowling. Still grumpy, of course, but now in a positive way.

It has been Yorkshire's strength in depth. eleven good players, that has won Championships - but Ryan has rarely failed to make inroads with the new ball, and has almost never gone for runs when the opposition have been on top. Brooks and Rashid have won matches too, Patterson and Bresnan have also given control, but Sidebottom has done both.

And how often he has got out the opposition's best batsman. See photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/19594826982/in/album-72157655248699970/

I think he has probably judged his retirement about right. I hope he stays fit during his final season.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 22 2017, 11:24 AM 

Nice summary DM, though personally whenever he went into some dive on the boundary, my heart was in my mouth. I always felt I'd far rather concede a run than risk losing him for weeks with an injury.

There are times he's been an obstinate old cuss with the bat too, like his vital few at Lord's last September.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Agreed

February 22 2017, 3:41 PM 

I agree with all of those fine words - but i had to laugh at his suggestion that he always "played the game with a smile on his face"...

I don't remember him smiling much when someone hit him for four - or (heaven forbid) a catch went down....

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: Agreed

February 22 2017, 5:46 PM 

Had to happen, but sorry to hear. Will make this coming season that bit more special, knowing it's the last time we'll see him.

The chemistry between him and Jack Brooks has been a special element in this team. They've egged each other on, and the whole has been greater than the sum of the parts.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lots of feet up time

February 22 2017, 6:53 PM 

Looking forward to seeing him give it one last push this season.

That being said if our younger bowlers keep fit and perform well I'll be happy to see him have a fairly light playing season, as befits an old timer.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

February 22 2017, 7:06 PM 

I'd say he's probably been the best bowler in the county championship over the last 3 years or so, up there with Good Brooks and Toblerone Jones.

My "favourite" memory of Sidebottom is the game against Middlesex in 2015 at Lords, it was my first trip to the Southern home of cricket. I'd got the train down and made it to the ground at about 10 to 11. Unfortunately I had forgotten that September games start half and hour early. Middlesex were 4 down and I'd missed Sidebottom get 3 in the first over.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 22 2017, 8:06 PM 

Excellent posts from Dave M and Tyke 1950 sum things up very well.

Since his return he's been outstanding. He leads the attack, I'm not sure who picks up that mantle.

On my sky planner I've the highlights saved from the final day of the championship clincher at Trent Bridge (2014). Ryan bowled well in that game. 'Other half' at her book club, think i'll watch it.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 22 2017, 9:15 PM 

I think I'll put together a Ryan Sidebottom photo album on my Flickr site. Seems a worthy project to kill a few days leading up to the new season when, of course, I'll be able to add to it. I hope.

Watch this space.

[I've made a start. 9 photos up so far. Trying to get the stats right, too.]

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Feb 22, 2017 10:56 PM

Mart
(Login Wharfester)

Dinner with the man himself anyone?

February 26 2017, 10:10 PM 

Look forward to the finished article Dave.

Some folk'll do anything for a pint so last week I and daughter trekked 14 miles upriver to the Red Lion at Burnsall. As the ale did its restorative job a poster for this enticing March 11th event swam into focus:

http://www.boltonabbeycc.co.uk

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk