<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Interesting.

March 21 2017, 6:11 PM 

Yes, the bribes and threats have worked. The ECB will get their way.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 21, 2017 6:12 PM

justgrazing
(Login Justgrazing)

Re: Interesting.

March 22 2017, 10:21 AM 

The self destructive capacity of the ECB seems to be endless and it's about time the counties stood up to be counted, dismantled the ECB and set on a course that they want to take.

Thankfully for us, Yorkshire is among the biggest names in world cricket and, as Dizzy noted, sits at the top of a pyramid of more cricket clubs than in the whole of Australia. Despite their mindless bullying of Durham, the ECB will have to tread more carefully than threatening to destroy Yorkshire cricket.

For ourselves, we need to remember that YCCC is an entity that happens to play cricket at Headingley AT THE MOMENT. If Headingley is not fit for OUR purpose then simply get rid of it and align the club with one ore more of the magnificent clubs in the county. Sell Headingley and free us from the shackles of Graves' "generosity". If it doesn't cover the debt, go bust and rise again in freedom. There is only one loser and Graves has so much money he doesn't need these millions. After all, it doesn't take much to read the latest accounts without the rose tinted glasses and deem that the club is insolvent.

So we lose Test matches and all the attendant costs that go with it but we have a chance to start again with a degree of financial prudence and build something that will last another 200 years. YCCC spent most of its existence playing on grounds around the county If we want to retain a presence in Leeds all that is required is an office suite there with state of the art training facilities at a suitable location accessible from across Yorkshire then start putting resources into building up grounds in the county into becoming quality venues. NO more of these reckless vanity projects that have pretty much destroyed the once proud club.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: Interesting

March 22 2017, 10:26 AM 

chrisbrooky
(Login chrisbrooky)

March 22 2017, 12:11 PM 

(Login matthefish2002)

March 22 2017, 12:24 PM 

If the world cup can be played at the Olympic stadium and get 66,000 then I am all for it. Might even be interested in going myself.
Think test games should stay at the traditional venues but for white ball cricket I don't see a problem.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 22 2017, 12:24 PM 

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 22 2017, 12:27 PM 

Money talks for the ECB. Totally wrong shape for a cricket pitch, it is oval as opposed to round, so bound to be very short boundaries, either on both sides of the wicket or behind the bowler at both ends.

But hey does that matter, as long as the ECB make lots of money!!

chrisbrooky
(Login chrisbrooky)

March 22 2017, 12:29 PM 

All about the money plus they know the London venues always sell out. Whether they can sell 60,000 tickets however is another story though.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 22 2017, 1:17 PM 

chrisbrooky
(Login chrisbrooky)

March 22 2017, 1:39 PM 

Sounds like this will happen no matter what and although I suspect Headingley would not have either an England V Australia or India V Pakistan fixture (Lords & Edgbaston I guess) you can see us being shunted to one side with the state of the ground being the perfect excuse.

Solvent???
(Login Justgrazing)

March 22 2017, 1:50 PM 

Whilst Dennison may be good at stating his wish that our £3000 profit this year will contribute towards clearing the £24 million current debt plus his proposed additional £17 million borrowing over the next 10 years. I would find it more helpful if he could use his fertile imagination to say how this might possibly be achieved.

I seem to recall similar statements 5+ years ago and in this era of unprecedented low interest rates all we have managed to do is to juggle our debts onto an interest only basis, postponing any capital repayment until interest rates rise back to historically normal levels making repayment even more difficult to achieve.

chrisbrooky
(Login chrisbrooky)

March 22 2017, 2:23 PM 

I work in the financial sector in Leeds and have had conversations with two parties who are extremely close to the mechanics of the Club and neither were aware of any financial deal in place. The market is very incestuous and if they were there and thereabouts to announcing that funding was in place they would know.

They are cutting this extremely fine.

(Login dpressed)

March 22 2017, 2:27 PM 

I have an answer for those who say sell Headingley & elsewhere. There is a very vocal group of members who live in or close to Leeds who demand that they keep their cricket. They started when the move to Durkar was mooted and pop up whenever grounds are mentioned. If some had their way Scarborough would be ditched.

So it would be impossible for Yorks to move elsewhere unless we went bust & the ground was siezed, in lieu of debt, and 'redeveloped'

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 22 2017, 2:56 PM 

Mentioned above is the capitulation by the Sussex chairman to the demands of the ECB. I agree but only to an extent.

Sussex have at least considered what Sussex want. No-one at Yorkshire appears to be batting for us or even thinking about our future! Arthur and Dennison are our representatives and need to act as such.

As noted in the Hopps article, Sussex have said our support for T20 franchises depends upon i) no new team playing under the name of an existing county (this obviously means us) ii) Other cricket going on during the T20 games so Sussex isn't effectively closed down for a month or so iii) continuation of a county based T20.

Sussex can now say to their members 'there's a big show down the London road and it'll make us some cash but its more or less business as usual at Hove'.

I can see the Sussex point and its quite pragmatic. They've batted for Sussex. What do Arthur and Dennison want for Yorkshire county cricket? I'd suggest they haven't a clue.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Mar 22, 2017 2:56 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 22 2017, 6:17 PM 

The David Hopps article re Sussex has had a "100% against" response to the new T20 franchise plans from the posters following the article, and that is the case on postings after all of the franchise T20 articles.

I appreciate the ECB are after a new audience, but it is at the expense of County Cricket. Amongst current cricket supporters, are there any supporting the plans?

So we are not going to be called Yorkshire, we may not have any Yorkshire players in the team playing from Headingley and it may be on "free to view" tv, but our Chairman and CE think that we will have 20000 or so attending all 4 matches. Really!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 22, 2017 6:53 PM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

March 22 2017, 7:17 PM 

Sid has accurately summed up the Sussex Chairman's rationale for his change of heart.
In an earlier list I said it made him look foolish.
Sid itemises the three main reasons for his change of heart:
1. No new team will play under the name of an existing County. - The name of these eight clubs may prove to be an annoyance but are of zero significance when compared to the fact that the eight clubs will exist and play their games at the height of the season.
2. Other cricket will be going on during the new T20, so Sussex isn't effectively closed at the height of the season. - The 50 over competition due to run simulateously will be drowned out by the publicity tsunami bound to accompany the 'big show'. Moreover, the best players in the county circuit will be otherwise engaged.
3. The county base T20 will continue. - The competition will be reduced and devalued.

The Sussex Chairman may feel reassured. Let's hope his county membership feels differently.

Cricket supporters may do well to take note of Jason Ratcliffe's comments as reported by George Dobell on Cricinfo. To my way of thinking he makes a number of thoughtful points.
Perhaps the most poignant one refers to the 63% increase in attendance for the County T20 competition over the past 4 years.
Weep.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 23 2017, 7:37 AM 

The problem at the moment is that all those coming out arguing against the franchise, new t20 competition etc are already committed and die hard cricket fans who love the game already.

But the untapped audience who the ecb want haven't got a voice yet or any reason to be vocal about the new dawn for county/ franchise cricket as some are not even aware they are the 60000 expected to watch s game at the Olympic stadium.

Everyone here seems to be dead against it but it's not you the powers that be are trying to attract. It's those who don't go to cricket and if they have to sell our sport to the devil and change their viewing public to get more spectators and revenue then so be it. Sad but true.

I think back to when Packer came along and was seen as a revolutionary but with hindsight his crazy ideas of coloured clothing and a circus of the top performers was just decades ahead of its time and our game survived albeit in a new format. It will survive this but there is some pain to go through.

Of course the simple answer is that those who properly love the game don't bother going to watch the new t20 but I fear lots will but not to see quality cricket.

If they expect the big firms to be taking clients along for corporate hospitality then those days are rapidly declining too.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

March 23 2017, 8:41 AM 

I think I understand the laudable intention of attracting new fans to the game.
What I find bizarre, almost to the point of insanity, is the determination to disregard, disrespect, discount and disenfranchise those cricket lovers who have sustained the game in the past.
The County structure has been the bedrock of the game. This structure is put at risk by the proposals of the ECB. The threat to cricket is existential and comes from the very people charged with guarding its welfare.
I hate sounding like some sort of doom-laden Jeremiah or Blinkered Luddite; however I fear that in a very few years most of what I love about the game will be lost. I don't think I'm alone. Depressingly, the ECB views people who think like me as the enemy and its intention is to snuff out opposition with the ruthless, single-minded determination of fanatics.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Eldorado!

March 23 2017, 9:53 AM 

The board are sensible enough to realise that they don't have a case to put to members for the extra borrowing in order to secure 4, possibly not very interesting World cup games, and International matches beyond the 2019 Ashes.

This new competition, which may turn out very well and bring in a nice fluffy new family audience, or more likely attract yet more heavy drinking young adult males, might just push them into making a very rash financial decision in the hope everything goes well.

Equally likely is the whole competition becomes a very small, short lived, footnote in cricket history.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

March 23 2017, 10:35 AM 

I've always thought there is massive value in the county brand, Yorkshire above all.
I suppose this is how Sussex see it, that if the eight franchises gave themselves county names this would damage the Sussex brand in the county t20.
Still very surprising that the ECB would actually stop the Headingley based team from calling themselves Yorkshire. Lots of people take an interest in Yorkshire cricket, even if they rarely go to matches, and they are all potential new, or returning, supporters.
However, the ECB is very London-centric and maybe down there the London, Lords or Oval brands are more important than Middlesex or Surrey. It seems Warwickshire took a similar view when they renamed their t20 team the Birmingham Bears.

< Previous Page 14 5 6 7 8 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk