<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: Ben Stokes

March 1 2017, 11:04 AM 

"Botham, Flintoff, Stokes? Take your pick, not much in it."

That trio fit into the 'wearing their heart on their sleeves' type of character, sometimes with too much of it on show admittedly.

KP, as you say, is another kettle of fish entirely.

Having said that Stokes strikes me as being more petulant and 'nasty' than the other two named

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 1 2017, 11:49 AM 

Stokes is generally quite a hothead - yes it may well motivate him personally, but the question to ask is what effect it has on others. I have certainly seem him berate fielders for not making a blinding stop on the boundary when he has just served up a long hop. What effect does that have on them? He is also one of the worst at not keeping it buttoned in the sledging stakes. The best sledgers are those who "act it" and are therefore selective in who they sledge. Stokes doesn't have that self control. The result is that every player who is put off by the sledging, another ten are motivated to play better. Not clever at all.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

March 1 2017, 12:42 PM 

I think there are significant differences between Botham, Flintoff and Stokes. The most straightforwardly likeable of the three srtikes me to be Flintoff, though he was a bit naive with it. Stokes on the other hand might consider he fact that Botham and Flintoff were liked and respected, as well as feared, by opponents. It can be achieved.

All great cricketers, it seems to me to be undeniable.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Apart from the aquaducts!

March 1 2017, 8:02 PM 

In the 'life of Brian' the question 'what have the roman's ever done for us' is followed by a long list of stellar achievements.

In answer to the question 'what has Ben Stokes ever done for England' from my viewpoint the list isn't quite so impressive.

Yes he did make 258 v SA, of course he did score 120 v Aus in a terrible ashes series, o.k he did get 6 for 36 at Trent bridge.

But apart from that!

Alright he's a decent fielder, he certainly makes sure he gets noticed on the field, but if you take either his ICC ranking, or his averages, in all forms of the game it doesn't justify the hype.

You can't fool all of the people all of the time. He's doing a good job but I'm not buying.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Apart from the aquaducts!

March 1 2017, 8:18 PM 

"but if you take either his ICC ranking, or his averages, in all forms of the game it doesn't justify the hype."

Well if we're looking at averages then Adam Voges is the second greatest batsman in the history of the game!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Apart from the aquaducts!

March 1 2017, 9:11 PM 

Voges is the all time No 83 in my version of the ICC test match batting rankings!

Lots of past and present all rounders in both the batting and bowling top 100, can't spot Stokes in either list!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk