<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Windies

February 26 2017 at 11:36 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

They have taking a liking to Ben Stokes bowling!!!!

From Cricinfo

........"Stokes' last 10 deliveries in an England shirt against Caribbean opposition - going back to Carlos Braithwaite's four sixes - had cost an eye-watering 47 runs........."

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Windies

February 27 2017, 5:00 PM 

He took 3/35 today.

(Login Jacobus24)

February 27 2017, 5:33 PM 

Ben's divisive and arrogant personality will likely overshadow his cricket for years to come.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

February 27 2017, 6:52 PM 

I think the only person he annoys or divides is Jacobus24.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 27 2017, 7:05 PM 

.....and me!! He is arrogant & bad tempered. Always looking for a confrontation and always ready to dish out the verbals but can not take them back and just loses his rag. He is the most obnoxious cricketer I have ever set my eyes on (IMO).

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 27 2017, 7:48 PM 

More than Pietersen?

February 27 2017, 7:48 PM 

"He is the most obnoxious cricketer I have ever set my eyes on (IMO)."

Boycott just called, he wants his title back!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 27 2017, 8:27 PM 

Funny how the obnoxious cricketers are good. Who is/was there who was obnoxious and crap? Robin Marlar perhaps?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

February 27 2017, 8:58 PM 

Chris Adams

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

February 27 2017, 9:02 PM 

Oh yes, thank you.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Back to the cricket!

February 27 2017, 9:55 PM 

Second warm-up game looks to have been a close affair with England just getting over the line.

Jonny Bairstow top scored with 86 as an opener, probably the only game he'll get, especially as Hales is on the way.

Having said that Buttler seems to be getting picked more for what he might do rather than for anything he is doing at the moment.

3 for 44 for Plunkett, 1 for 56 for Adil.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Ben Stokes

February 27 2017, 11:52 PM 

Took a huge disliking to Ben Stokes when he conned Yorkshire of victory in the 2012 Friends Life Twenty20 opener in the final over (if anyone remembers that game)

Final over, Yorkshire needed 14 to win and Azeem Rafiq hits six off Scott Borthwick. Then Rafa creams another shot towards Block B of the Western Terrace, ball racing award towards the boundary rope while Stokes was sweeping up. He chucks in a dive, but the ball hit the rope, then he grabbed the ball during his dive and lobbed it back to Borthwick. Some of the crowd were cheering on 4 more runs to Yorkshire, but reactions turned into disbelief and anger when 4 runs was not given. I particularly remember this one middle aged bloke (regularly seen at many Yorkshire matches) who stormed down the stairs towards the front and gave Stokes a lot of verbal abuse.

What should have been 4 runs required off the final 4 balls, was 6 off 4. After a controversial dot in the penultimate ball (looked clearly a wide), Yorkshire lost by 2 runs. I never felt cheated whilst watching a sporting event, especially when cricket is meant to be a gentlemans game. Playing hard is one thing, but what Ben Stokes did was not fair. As far as I was concerned, Hampshire were the only team to beat Yorkshire in that Twenty20 season.

It still left a sour taste 9 days later at North Marine Road when it became a topic of discussion on the terrace in a rain affected Twenty20 against Notts. The aforementioned bloke happened to join the conversation and added his poor opinion of Ben Stokes.

When Stokes was "controversially" run out for obstructing the ball in a 2015 ODI against Australia, by no other than Mitchell Starc who played in that game, I felt it was karma for events in that T20 The added bonus came in the World T20 Final, seeing a distraught and inconsolable Ben Stokes on the ground after his bottle job. Giving it the big I am, but could not even defend 18 runs in the final over. It was a shame the media didn't berate him afterwards, because he let his team mates, fans and country down.

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: Ben Stokes

February 28 2017, 8:49 AM 

I agree that Ben Stokes has not got the most likeable personality on the cricket field. Feel the same about Stuart Broad and Jimmy Anderson.
I have got a tickets for a couple of England games this summer and really looking forward to seeing all 3 hopefully play. Make of that what you will.

February 28 2017, 11:02 AM 

"Ben's divisive and arrogant personality will likely overshadow his cricket for years to come."

Incredible that Jacobus wrote this having, only days earlier, advocated the signing of Marlon Samuels!! :-D

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

February 28 2017, 11:17 AM 

I must admit, I don't take to Stokes. What irritates me the most are cricketers who berate the fielders when they bowl tripe. Anderson has this tendency as well. It isn't necessary to be aggressive to your team mates to be successful as a cricketer.

Another good day for Bairstow - you feel that a tipping point is not far away - Buttler is the golden boy, but Billings needs a score otherwise I suspect Bairstow might get a run in the one day side.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 28 2017, 1:22 PM 

It's another 'no' for Stokes from me.

Nothing wrong with playing 'hard' cricket, but that's not the same as cheating. Anyone who saw the boundary incident described above surely has to agree.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 28 2017, 8:07 PM 

With his latest award and the mountain of money paid for him in the IPL he must be a fantastic players.

I can't bear him and that is obviously blinding me to his amazing talent, I just can't see it.

February 28 2017, 8:41 PM 

Thank heavens you're not a selector then.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

February 28 2017, 11:35 PM 

Stokes is an abrasive personality and not everyone's cup of tea, but to not be able to see his natural talent is quite staggering. I bet he'd have fitted in quite well if he'd played for Yorkshire in the sixties!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 1 2017, 10:02 AM 

I don't think Stokes is particularly abrasive towards his own team mates. Yes, be reacts to poor fielding, but certainly no worse than Mr Ryan Sidebottom! I know they like to keep a tight ship and not wash their dirty linen in public, but I have never heard the England team say anything that is not supportive of Stokes.

[This last sentence is my latest offering in the Mixed Metaphor of the Year competition.]

Stokes appears to be universally liked, particularly by Joe Root. He's a passionate young man and did foolishly punch a locker once. He also had a sense of humour malfunction in Windies last time, which will doubtless be remembered by them; but a divisive, scheming, KP-like personality, never.

Botham, Flintoff, Stokes? Take your pick, not much in it.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk