<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ryan - a photographic tribute

February 28 2017 at 12:26 PM

Dave Morton  (Login DaveMorton)

I have completed my tribute to Ryan Sidebottom, 42 photos (41 of mine and one from East Coast Exile).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/albums

I was limited by the photos which I had, of course, but within that restriction I have attempted to tell the story of the latter part of Ryan's career. I have added extensive captions, with facts and figures, including reference to the performances of Ryan's England and Yorkshire colleagues.

I will add to the album as the 2017 season progresses. Fingers crossed that Ryan remains fit and effective in this final act of a wonderful career.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: Ryan - a photographic tribute

February 28 2017, 12:54 PM 

Thanks for sharing appreciated

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

February 28 2017, 1:26 PM 

Excellent. I loved them.

(Login dpressed)

February 28 2017, 2:14 PM 

Thanks. So many memories

(Login legglance)

February 28 2017, 4:06 PM 

Thanks Dave, great memories of a great player.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 1 2017, 9:47 AM 

Dave as a matter of interest where ground, I'm assuming New Zealand somewhere where the 3 flags are showing ?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 1 2017, 10:18 AM 

Phil - I presume you mean the three flags of the England supporters? That's McLean Park in Napier, Hawke's Bay, a wonderful city rebuilt in the Art Deco style following an earthquake in 1931.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLean_Park

The cricket ground is not much to write home about, but it is a friendly place with short square boundaries (because it is primarily a rugby stadium) and a lovely grassy bank at one end. It has been redeveloped, for the Rugby World Cup, since my photo was taken, and I think the pictured stand has gone.

Five-minute walk from the Pacific Ocean, ten minutes from city centre. I loved New Zealand and intend to make a long trip there in 2019.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

March 1 2017, 10:52 AM 

Spent 3 days in Napier at the end of January and there cannot be many better located grounds as Dave intimates

Whilst over in NZ, an ODI between NZ and Aus did not get to start due to a waterlogged outfield at Napier which was due to a very poorly draining outfield after only a small amount of rain.

There was much radio discussion about the ground being fit for international cricket and the consensus was that it was not fit for purpose so, maybe, it will only feature in domestic cricket in the future.

Back to Ryan who took 7-47 there in the 1st innings with England winning by 121 runs (Mar 2008)

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 1 2017, 11:25 AM 

The Napier Test of march 2008 was hugely memorable.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/sets/72157648472066449/

The teams went into this final game tied 1-1 in the series. Tim Southee (18, and on debut) took early wickets to reduce England to 4 for 3. Pietersen's century saved the team from complete rout.

Stephen Fleming batted well for NZ, Strauss saved his Test career with a second innings century, and Bell also made a lovely hundred.

Panesar was winning the game easily for England until Southee smashed him (and most of the other bowlers) all over, and out of, McLean Park; that 121 run margin was looking quite small when Ryan finally bowled the worst batsman in the world to complete the victory.

We had earlier watched Chris Martin facing 35 mph throw-downs right in front of us, during the lunch interval. He missed more than he hit! First ball in the middle, Jimmy Anderson almost took his head off with a perfect bouncer.

As I said, a hugely memorable game - and indeed series - in a spectacularly beautiful country.

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

March 1 2017, 1:02 PM 

Brilliant stuff, Dave. As always, thanks for your ongoing and invaluable contributions to the WRF.

Alex
""

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 1 2017, 3:17 PM 

Thanks a lot, Dave.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 1 2017, 4:24 PM 

Thank you for the response Dave it's certainly whetted my appetite to travel to see England on their travels.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk