<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RIP John Hampshire

March 1 2017 at 11:26 AM

Dpressed  (Login dpressed)

YCCC have just posted the following on Twitter

It is with great regret and sadness that Yorkshire County Cricket Club can confirm the passing of current Club President, John Hampshire.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5417/club-president-john-hampshire-dies-aged-76

R.I.P. to a Yorkshire great

This message has been edited by dpressed on Mar 1, 2017 11:31 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

Re: RIP John Hampshire

March 1 2017, 11:35 AM 

He and Boycott were the openers when I first started following the YCCC. A good Club servant. Condolences to his family.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 1 2017, 12:06 PM 

Where have all the good men gone? And where are all the gods?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

March 1 2017, 12:22 PM 

RIP John, a privilege to have seen you play and to have spent time with you off the field.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

March 1 2017, 12:36 PM 

Agreed. He was what a professional cricketer should be like. The day he left was one of the lowest points of a very low time. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it all - and I think he got it wrong with the Northampton 'protest' - there could be few men less suited to being put at the heart of a conflict. The way he and his family were treated was a disgrace, so it was wonderful to see him recognised with the presidency.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

March 1 2017, 12:42 PM 

One of the good men. An excellent umpire. A wonderful batsman.
Hampshire's straight drive was a wonder.
My memory goes back to Bradford in the late sixties when one sunlit afternoon he batted like an emperor, just after Sobers had merely batted like a prince.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

a sad day

March 1 2017, 2:13 PM 

He didn't look well last year - i was hoping his health had improved over the Winter.
I wonder who the club will invite to be President in his place...?

Illingworth..?

Idle_man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: a sad day

March 1 2017, 2:21 PM 

Also not very well, and hasn't he done it before? Time to move to the next generation I suspect. More time needed to reflect on John however.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

March 1 2017, 2:28 PM 

I was amazed when he became President, not because he didn't deserve it, but he had told me some 15 months or so before he was appointed that he only had 9 months or so to live.

So, he had a longer innings than expected but still not long enough. sad.gif

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 1 2017, 3:16 PM 

He looked very ill when appointed last year, and I was hoping his health would improve and he would serve out his term. RIP.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 1 2017, 4:20 PM 

R.I.P. John

(Login dpressed)

March 1 2017, 4:26 PM 

IM suggests moving on a generation from Illy. But who? The 'obvious' candidates (D Bairstow & P Carrick) are no longer with us. After his 'falling out' with Craig White Barrie Leadbeater shouldn't be considered. Chris Old is a possible & Arnie Sidebottom another. Or do we go with the batsmen who never really fulfilled their promise (wth Yorkshire anyway), namely Athey, Sharp & Love?

I didn't see Hampshire play that often but he was a classy batsman. I do remember seeing John at a few football groups, supporting Rotherham United.

(Login Openingstand)

March 1 2017, 4:53 PM 

Richard Hutton must be in the running....

marsker
(Login marskeman)

March 1 2017, 4:59 PM 

How about Geoff Cope.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 1 2017, 5:14 PM 

Darren Gough? David Byas?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

March 1 2017, 6:15 PM 

Oh, that is really sad.

Just yesterday I'd put my proxy vote in the post, cross in the box to re-elect him President at the AGM. Poignant.

He was my favourite player from the sixties team.

(Login dpressed)

March 1 2017, 6:22 PM 

I'd forgotten Geoff Cope. He'd do an excellent job so would be my pick. Richard Hutton would upset the Boycott fans. There's also Richard Lumb but I think he lives in South Africa

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

March 1 2017, 6:57 PM 

Arnold Sidebottom....

I think Geoff Cope would be an excellent choice.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 1 2017, 7:13 PM 

Just like to add my condolences to his friends and family.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 1 2017, 7:25 PM 

Surely it can't be filled now until next year's agm unless the club constitution allows the board to nominate someone without a vote of the membership. I don't know if the club already had someone lined up to take over when John's two year term was up at next years agm.

Someone from the 60's side who hasn't already held the post and would be prepared to attend matches would be an obvious choice. Cope would be ideal but definitely not Hutton (I doubt the club would nominate him anyway and I don't think he would want it).

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk