<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Petition for football end development

March 1 2017 at 8:09 PM
Rob  (Login robzabrocky)

Hi, I hope this is OK to post in here.

The club have been trying to get Leeds council to commit to investing in the new stand for some time now, with an apparent deadline of the end of March.

I have pulled together a petition to try and get across the view of the fans, of cricket and rugby, which I will present to the council once we get enough signatures.

If you get a minute could you please have a look, and sign up for the good of the County.

thanks

https://www.change.org/p/leeds-city-council-petition-leeds-council-to-keep-international-cricket-at-headingley?recruiter=530844797&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

Re: Petition for football end development

March 1 2017, 8:23 PM 

Easy one for me - I don't agree with asking Leeds Council Tax Payers to fund a Bat & Ball Hitty Ground, when the God of Batty Bally (ECB, Graves, Strauss, Bogey Man) is sitting on a pile of Folding Cash.

So, I'm Out....

Phil

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 1 2017, 9:07 PM 

The Council generally borrows to fund capital expenditure. Granting the whole cost of the stand or near as damn it would be £20 million plus. How does the council pay this money off? By not spending on other day to day items. Maybe stop cutting grass at on local sports grounds. Close down a few sports centres? Maybe that's what we want but let's not pretend that stumping up the cash is consequence free. It isn't. By contrast the ECB sits on tens of millions of reserves. And other wealthy people connected with rugby and cricket have very deep pockets

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

March 1 2017, 9:31 PM 

Totally agree. With apologies to the original poster, the council should not be funding private sports clubs. There a local services and communities that really need it, as a matter of life or death in the most severe cases.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 1 2017, 9:46 PM 

Another 'I'm sorry'. I'd rather social care, day care centres, young people with special needs, libraries, grass roots sports centres et al come first.

If the Leeds wallops need an upgraded home, then the ECB should pay for it. If the planned franchises heads elsewhere so be it.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 1 2017, 10:46 PM 

I'm sorry too.

Thought the club had sunk low enough playing the civic pride card when it was Test cricket and the World cup they were begging the council to save.

Now they've chucked in holding a competition which doesn't yet exist as a reason to stump up the cash.

If the ECB want the new T20 competition so badly they should come up with concrete proposals for the venues and put some money on the table.

Opening stand
(Login Openingstand)

March 1 2017, 10:53 PM 

Much as I love Yorkshire cricket, I can't in conscience go along with this.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

March 2 2017, 2:20 AM 

At a time when Leeds City Council have made £76 Million cuts from the council budget (threatening 2000 jobs) along with recent negative press of not keeping council houses up to living standard, I can't believe Yorkshire CCC would have the audacity to go cap in hand to the council just to redevelop one stand which would only get fully utilised for three matches per year.

Rob
(Login robzabrocky)

March 2 2017, 9:10 AM 

The investment required from the council is £4m, with the remainder of £20m coming from the Lottery fund, private land sales and investment from YCCC/ECB and the Rhinos. Leeds Council have already agreed in principal to pay it, they are just holding off on the final confirmation.

I appreciate all the points raised, but I do think the people of Headingley, and Leeds, would suffer if elite level cricket and rugby disappeared from the area. Not to mention the fact that if YCCC cannot bring in international hosting money YCCC would not exist for long.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 2 2017, 9:26 AM 

Rob - I think this is where the confusion lies. The Council has already committed to the £4 million - this was agreed by the Council's Executive Board months ago. That money is not in doubt as far as I can see. They also approved the application for the stand subject to the usual tying up of loose ends. What was not approved was planning permission for the housing schemes. This leaves a huge hole in the funding package. The question is where the money will be found from. The Yorkshire post article that refers to a decision needed by the end of March does not say what that decision is. The inference is that a request has been made for more money. It may also be referring to finalising the planning approval on the scheme, though unless the club has bowled a last minute googly, I think this is in the bag - just a matter of tying up legal agreeemnts etc. I must say I am a bit confused!

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Mar 2, 2017 10:08 AM

(Login jerryberry55)

March 6 2017, 8:22 PM 

The council have pulled the plug on the £4m grant.

The housing sales was for Leeds rugby to fund their side. That's off the table now so they need funding elsewhere.

Planning was grant for the development. The problem is the council is split. The leader is in favour but their is much in fighting with people objecting based on the in fighting rather than objections to the plans.

Any money the club borrow via the council would be repaid so it's not like it's at the expense of public services.

Deadline presumably exists due to the timeline for building.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 6 2017, 11:19 PM 

I understand the Council are trying to come up with a solution but a loan won't happen because there is nobody to guarantee it unlike last time.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 7 2017, 8:33 AM 

I think the bigger problem is that the way the rhinos are playing then they might not need to improve their facilities ....

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

March 7 2017, 10:08 AM 

Guest (Login ThirdUmpire)
Posted Mar 7, 2017 8:33 AM

I think the bigger problem is that the way the rhinos are playing then they might not need to improve their facilities ...

Now, now TU, no need to kick a man when he's down.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk