<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

West Indies v England ODI 3rd March

March 3 2017 at 2:58 PM
Tom  (Login whiterosetom)

Not suprised there isn't much interest in this match. England getting off to a slow start, Root gone for five. Perhaps set up for Stokes to make amends for the world up?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: West Indies v England ODI 3rd March

March 3 2017, 3:29 PM 

But Stokes didn't play in the last 50 over World Cup, instead Peter Moores and the England selectors picked such startling good ODI players such as Gary Ballance, Ian Bell and Ravi Bopara instead of him!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 3 2017, 4:56 PM 

EYT --- I think, Tom is referring to the T20 World Cup last year.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 3 2017, 6:42 PM 

Bit of a low key start but could turn into an interesting contest.

I hope our bowlers are a bit more potent than theirs.

Slightly jealous of all the England fans in the ground, mind you I might have chosen the beach and watched the last couple of hours in a bar.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Mar 3, 2017 6:42 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 3 2017, 7:57 PM 

Bit odd to leave out your top scorer who you bat out of position in the one warm up game but I'm sure they know what they are doing

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 5 2017, 9:27 PM 

These last few ODIs have really reminded me why I enjoy 50 over cricket. There is time for proper innings and momentum swings. I really hope it doesn't get killed off or neglected at international or county level.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

2nd ODI

March 5 2017, 9:50 PM 

Always a bonus when they play on a difficult pitch in my view. The best players usually come into their own.

Bit of a dilemma of course, if you were there for a jolly day out having a few bevies it might seem a bit slow.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: 2nd ODI

March 6 2017, 8:09 AM 

Another good result.

I have 3 concerns with this team, though on the main its our beat ever ODI team for me. Especially batting.

Bat against spin, as in all formats has the capability of collapsing.

Pace line up. Woakes and Stokes are the only guarantees. We ideally need Topley back for the left arm/tall and start/end of the innings. He really covered a lot of basis. We also lack a real paceman. If we can get Wood fit then he is the answer.

My biggest concern is out spin bowling. Rashid gets the odd but he is so expensive all all convinced. Equally Ali to me is a bit of a bits and pieces player. He would not get in on batting or bowling alone. I prefer Ali as he's a better all round option but in truth, would move on from them both in ODI.

I lile the look of Livingstone who would add batting depth, class fielding and could offer the "second spinner" option. He is possibly a work in progrwss but has a certain x factor about him.

Because of the strong batting depth that provides, I would then pick the best out and out spin bowler in our one day game. To be honest, I am not sure who that is. Maybe Leach.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 6 2017, 9:19 AM 

I will be disappointed if Bairstow doesn't come in for Buttler in the final game.

I think we have good depth, the first choice attack is likely to be Woakes and Stokes plus probably 3 out of Wood, Willey, Plunkett and Ball. And then a spinner.

March 6 2017, 9:22 AM 

I'd be fuming if Buttler was dropped.

As others have mentioned, I think having Willey and Wood back would make a big difference to our bowling attack.

(Login matthefish2002)

March 6 2017, 10:17 AM 

I don't think Buttler will be too angry if 'rested' for the final 50 over game. The series is won and its only a warm up game for the Champions trophy.
Buttler is a fabulous batter but strangely off form.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 6 2017, 10:46 AM 

Buttler has scored 25,31,10,11,14,0 in his last six ODIs. Seems to me that it is a judgement call as to whether he is rested or not - but he can hardly be upset if he is rested - unless something disastrous happens he is a shoo in for the champions trophy.

In terms of our squad, I differ slightly in relation to the comments about Rashid. He is still number 9 on the ICC ODI bowlers rankings, and was the most successful bowler in the world last year in terms of wickets taken. There is the key for me. If we assume that six an over in an ODI is pretty much par these days, then I think Rashid is expected to "go at par" in most games but take key wickets. He is not being used as a container. He clearly lost some confidence in India but showed signs yesterday of that confidence returning. I agree that without numbers in the wickets column there isn't a lot of point in him being in the team.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 6 2017, 11:06 AM 

Better performance from the England bowlers in this game, Adil included. If you bowl it on a length, with dip and spin, and they slog it for four or six...that's life.

Shame about the batting, Root and Woakes apart.

Somewhere, there's a universe in which Roy and Hales and Billings and Buttler are better batsmen than Bairstow. But not this one.

I have one major gripe about all forms of limited overs cricket. In this game, I was enjoying the battle between offspinner Nurse and Joe Root; it was great cricket, the meeting of two "gun players" on the day. Then they had to take Nurse off because he had bowled his 10 overs, while Root was allowed to bat on. Why?

I think ONE bowler should be allowed to bowl a double allocation of overs.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

March 6 2017, 11:29 AM 

Completely agree with that DM, and for me it's one of the reasons limited overs cricket is less interesting. I remember seeing a Lord's final between Middlesex and Kent in 1984. Kent hadn't really got enough runs, but Derek Underwood made it competitive with 1-25 in his 12 overs. The Middlesex batsmen didn't know what to do with him, and this was about flight and variation, he wasn't turning it much. He would have won the game had the 12 over restriction not been in place. I remember another final where Alan Donald similarly kept Warwicks in it (Against Gloucs?). In the end Warwicks were giving him a single over every time the game seemed to be slipping too far away.

A form of the game which artificially curtails the most interesting aspect of a match has got something wrong.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

March 6 2017, 11:34 AM 

Probably the same universe in which all four have comfortably superior white ball records to Bairstow.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 6 2017, 6:44 PM 

I feel that Buttler is being selected at the moment more for what he might do, than what he actually does.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

March 6 2017, 6:51 PM 

Or he's being selected for what he has already done....I don't think it would be very wise to drop him just because he's having a dip in form. Morgan came good, then Root and so will Buttler.

March 6 2017, 8:00 PM 

Bairstow a better white ball player than Hales, Roy, Buttler or Billings?
Dropping Buttler?
Are some members of this forum England selectors from the 90's?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 6 2017, 8:08 PM 

And the same universe where Bairstow scored 80 plus in the warm up game whilst the others didn't?

March 6 2017, 8:16 PM 

An 80odd which was Bairstows highest List A score in 3 years. Hardly knocking down the door for selection with that record.
With Hales due to come back I'm not sure Bairstow is even the next cab off the rank for England at present.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk