<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New book on Yorkshire cricket history

March 5 2017 at 8:42 AM
EastCoastExile  (Login EastCoastExile)

I thought some people who visit this site might be interested in a book I have written, just published by the Association of Cricket Statisticians and Historians, about the development of cricket in Yorkshire in the 19th century – called ‘A Game Taken Seriously: The Foundations of Yorkshire’s Cricketing Power’.

http://acscricket.com/?page_id=45&category=12&product_id=139

It examines the foundations of Yorkshire’s cricketing prowess back where it started, in the 19th century. It focuses on the period between the opening of the first purpose-built commercial cricket ground in Sheffield in 1822 to the early 1890s, when the county club was reformed, league cricket took off, and a number of great players came to the fore.

It considers what the game meant to people, how it developed, how local clubs were organised and financed, and why some formats of the game were more popular than others. It also looks at how the best players made it to the county side, examines Yorkshire cricket crowds, and considers the role of press coverage in popularising cricket. It ends by outlining how the county club overcame the longstanding differences between Sheffield and other parts of the county so that the full potential of Yorkshire cricket could emerge.

336 pages, with 40 photographs, and published in paperback.

Full price is £20 but I have a few copies to sell for £15 including postage. If you are interested please contact me at agametakenseriously@gmail.com

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: New book on Yorkshire cricket history

March 5 2017, 12:33 PM 

Best of luck with it. I will be in touch.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

March 8 2017, 10:12 PM 

My WRF discounted copy of "A Game Taken Seriously" arrived today. I ordered it on Monday. Extremely efficient dispatch and delivery. As yet I have done no more than take it out of the packaging and note its general appearance. It certainly does not disappoint and I am looking forward to spending some serious time (it is clearly a serious piece of work) with it over the next few days. I will let you know how I get on, but my initial assessment is that it is well worth the £15 I parted with; and I strongly suspect an awful lot more!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 8 2017, 11:04 PM 

"how the county club overcame the longstanding differences between Sheffield and other parts of the county so that the full potential of Yorkshire cricket could emerge."

Might be some lessons to be learnt by those advocating the proposed city based T20 competition.

Come to think of it there might be some lessons to be re-learnt by Yorkshire.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 8 2017, 11:44 PM 

My copy arrived today, too. I e-mailed the author to thank him, and commented that I bet it took him a hell of a lot longer to write it than 'Sweet Shires' took me.

On reflection, I think it may take me longer to READ it than it took me to write my book!

A serious book about a serious game. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk