<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

T20 signings

March 7 2017 at 3:42 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Pieterson back to Surrey and Sodhi to Notts for the T20 comp. Still no T20 signings for us though.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Re: T20 signings

March 8 2017, 7:01 PM 

Hopefully the rise of advanced ticket sales for Natwest T20 Blast will allow provisions to sign a 2nd Overseas player, preferably a batsman who is the difference from knockout qualification to genuine title contenders.

(Login dpressed)

March 8 2017, 7:55 PM 

I expect Yorks will announce an overseas T20 player at the AGM later this month

(Login ElTwis)

March 8 2017, 8:47 PM 

Is that inside knowledge or wishful thinking?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 8 2017, 10:53 PM 

Hope its a fact, but if not, better wishful than wistful thinking! or is it?

(Login dpressed)

March 8 2017, 10:58 PM 

An educated guess on my part as overseas professionals have been announced at AGMs before. One I remember was Michael Slater.

Before anyone says anything. Slater had been signed to replace Michael Beven who had been picked for the Ashes in England. Slater then also got picked for the tour so we signed a fringe Aussie called Lehmann. Can't remember what happened to him. Slater later played for Derbyshire where he was ok but not brilliant.

This message has been edited by dpressed on Mar 8, 2017 11:00 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

March 10 2017, 4:35 PM 

Shrewd pick up by Birmingham.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

March 10 2017, 4:49 PM 

Unfortunately the AGM has come a little bit late for Yorkshire to announce Colin de Grandhomme, who has just signed for Birmingham Bears as their T20 Overseas.

His aggressive middle order batting and career strike rate of 171 (the highest in T20) would not only give Yorkshire a boost with the bat, but is the ideal player to draw spectators in without costing a fortune.

It's all good and well the clubs twitter feed posting videos of Peter Handscombs maiden Twenty20 century in the Big Bash and Joe Root flicking a ball on the leg side for six in last years Roses match, but these moments are as rare as rocking horse muck. We'll be lucky to see Root play at all for Yorkshire, whilst Handscomb is not a Box Office signing (despite whatever praises he gets) and is mainly seen as a red ball cricketer.

If the Yorkshire board are keen to build attendances outside of Lancashire T20 and increase revenue streams, the club needs to target decent Overseas T20 signings if the club is to prosper on and off the field.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

March 10 2017, 10:22 PM 

I get the T20 fascination woth S/R but average in equally important.

For every Jos Buttler, you need a Joe Root to balance things.

Maxwell was a so called show stopper and he was average.

I do feel we need another batsman. Travis Head woukd be ideal:

Lyth
Willey
Lees
Head
Ballance C
Hanscombe WK
Bresnan
Plunkett
Rafiq
Rashid
Fisher

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

March 10 2017, 10:28 PM 

Need to break those lefties up. Leaning has to play too.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 11 2017, 9:02 AM 

Leaning ahead of Lees is a definite in my view.

It would look much better with Bairstow and Root in there but alas...

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

March 11 2017, 11:11 AM 

This may all be irrelevant but the alternate is to use your 5 bowlers.

My team has 6. Could potentially leave out a seamer and go with Willey/Plunkett/Bresnan. With Rashid, Rafiq and Head covering 8 overs of spin.

Seems logical and frees up a batting position with Leaning coming in.

Its all about balance but I personally think some team go in with too many bowling options. Remember the first Finals Day we had? I loved the set up of Root bowling the first over, followed by 19 overs between the 5 selected bowlers (Sidebottom/Bresnan/Rafiq/Rashid and unsure on the other- Starc or was he unavailable?)

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

March 11 2017, 11:48 AM 

Six bowlers is fine especially when you have the batting of Willey, Bresnan, Plunkett, i would go with your attack.

If we only played 5 bowlers, Willey opening the batting would mean Bresnan at 8 which is too low.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

March 11 2017, 1:23 PM 

I don't disagree with that, was being thought provoking.

My issue is I don't want to drop Lees. Hes a young lad of huge potential who we have invested on for T20 quite a while.

Hes top order, which we lack and I feel he could really come good this year in T20.

That said, I accept the view on lefties.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 12 2017, 2:44 PM 

I don't think Lees is that far off being a very good T20 player. He needs to find a way of getting off strike, but I think there is a role for an orthodox player of his variety in the top six, doing something very similar to Carberry for us. Fancy "Dilscoops" are not the only way to go in this form of the game.

I agree that in an ideal world, you would want to play Leaning (because he does have the potential to score very quickly indeed). the side suggested above includes six out and out bowlers plus Lyth and Head who can provide the odd over here and there. The question is who would come out of the side to accommodate Leaning. A very tough call - not Willey, Plunkett and Rashid who are internationals. Not Bresnan for obvious reasons. Rafiq is a class act in the short form of the game and will only improve, and Fisher has shown what a star he can be in this form of the game. Whether the side suggested will ever be fielded due to injury and ECB restrictions is another question of course.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

March 12 2017, 5:07 PM 

Who would come out of the side to accommodate our leading run scorer in the format over the past 2 years?!

People blinded by red ball form.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Jack Leaning

March 13 2017, 1:10 AM 

A gentle reminder on what Jack Leaning can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN9zlzoq_Ew

Comes into bat when Yorkshire were 63-3 off 10.3 overs, doubles Yorkshire's scoring rate in his 9.1 overs at the crease with 64 off 29 balls.

First name in Yorkshire's T20 batting line up for me.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Jack Leaning

March 13 2017, 5:07 PM 

Jack (along with Brezzy) has been selected to play in the ECB North v South 50-over competition precisely because of his form in white-ball cricket last year. Three match series, starting March 17.
https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/344654

He had a bit of a lean time in the Championship last year, and was unable to make runs for the 2s either, at the very time when he needed them to get selected. But he had a fine CC season in 2015, so he has done it once, and therefore can do it again.

Good cricketer, Jack Leaning. And so is Will Rhodes. Let's support our own players and show some positivity, please!

You pick young players and you get inconsistency; they haven't yet learnt how to score ugly runs. So you can bring in a 28-year-old Kolpak who will do the business, short term. Or you can do what is right, put your faith in youth and talent, and Yorkshire and England and the game of cricket will all benefit.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 13 2017, 5:40 PM 

Agree re Jack, if he only plays in 1 of the competitions next season, it has to be the T20. It was the only competition last season he did well in.

I would go with

Willey, Lyth, Leaning, Ballance, overseas batsman, Hanscombe, Bresnan, Plunkett, Rashid, Rafiq, Fisher.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 13 2017, 7:47 PM 

Only Bresnan was an automatic pick (in 10th place on the MVP rankings)for the North v South comp - Leaning was a selection. Nevertheless still means that the ECB regard him as one of the best T20 prospects and as such he should be in our best eleven.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk