<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

3rd ODI In Barbados

March 8 2017 at 10:26 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

ESPN reporting Liam Plunkett is a doubt due to a dicky tummy.

It is going over old ground I know but the match preview by Alan Gardner puts the Jos Buttler situation better than I could.

Quote:

In the spotlight

It is only a few months since Jos Buttler was leading England to victory in Bangladesh, standing in for the absent Eoin Morgan as ODI captain. Since that tour - on which he was England's second-highest run-scorer behind Ben Stokes - he has entered something of a dry spell, with white-ball scores of 46, 0, 31, 10, 11, 15, 0, 1, 8, 14 and 0 in India and the West Indies (including warm-up matches). As deputy leader, first-choice keeper and the scorer of England's three fastest ODI hundreds, it will take a dip in form both prolonged and severe to put his place under pressure, but he could nevertheless do with a few runs. Jonny Bairstow will not need asking twice if an opportunity arises. Unquote:

Just how you quantify prolonged and severe depends a great deal on your viewpoint!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: 3rd ODI In Barbados

March 9 2017, 8:11 AM 

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 9 2017, 8:38 AM 

There's a lot of garbage in this article. Telling a bloke who gets 80 that he should have got 120 instead of telling those who got single figures to get 50. It's a team game and if the best keeper over 5 days is turn not in the best two keepers over one day then what does a one day keeper do differently especially when half the bowling attack is from the same county as Bairstow so he knows them better than most?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

March 9 2017, 10:16 AM 

A lot of countries will envy such strength in depth, perhaps only India have as many options with the bat.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 9 2017, 1:22 PM 

Only changes are Alex Hales in for Sam Billings and Alzarri Joseph in for Shannon Gabriel

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 9 2017, 1:50 PM 

You do not need even two keepers in any 1 day team, so Bairstow has no chance of getting a game while Buttler & Billings are there. Suits us fine, as he can now spend most of the early summer playing for us. The first test is early July, so we should have Jonny available every week until the end of June.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 9 2017, 1:56 PM 

Dream on!

He will be there as back up for batting even if he is not there for his keeping.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 9 2017, 2:01 PM 

Billings is the back up batsman.

Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler are etched in stone as the top 6. Billings is the reserve batsman.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

March 9 2017, 4:16 PM 

Buttler's poor run of form continues.

1st ball, 6 off a free hit . Out for 7 trying a ramp shot.

Came in at 220 odd for 2 with 37 overs gone so he had a bit of time to try to develop a bit of form. Instead , 2 consecutive ramp shots, both missed, with the second bowling him.

March 9 2017, 4:23 PM 

How predictably negative.

Hales hits a brilliant hundred on his return to the team, Root is well on the way to one (hopefully not put the mockers on him there) yet all you can think to comment about it Buttler getting a low score.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 9 2017, 4:28 PM 

That is 97 from his last 10 ODI innings. 7,0,14,8,1,0,15,11,10,31.

Keeping him in the side benefits us, so am I bovvered? NO!!!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 9 2017, 4:31 PM 

EYT ---- Are you employed by the ECB?. Seems no-one has the right on this forum to criticise anything that England or the ECB do without you jumping down on them!!

March 9 2017, 4:33 PM 

"That is 97 from his last 10 ODI innings. 7,0,14,8,1,0,15,11,10,31."

That is a total fabrication. Those aren't his last 10 ODI innings at all.

Edit. Just seen your 2nd post. No I'm not employed by the ECB but when you just make up figures I think that needs questioning.

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Mar 9, 2017 4:39 PM

March 9 2017, 4:35 PM 

Yes Joe.

Great hundred.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

March 9 2017, 4:38 PM 

220-2 after 37. You don't want someone coming in taking their time to try find form. It's a team game and Jos played the right way. Unfortunately the execution didn't match his intentions.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 9 2017, 4:41 PM 

A one day squad has more than one reserve batsman and Bairstow is undoubtedly capable of being in the squad ahead of any other options not there so don't build your hopes up of seeing him at Headingley in May or June.

I would have put money on Hales and Root batting to team orders and getting out once the ton was completed so others get a chance to bat. Shame none of them seem to want ( or be able) to take advantage of the opportunity given to them.

No doubt Farbrace will blame Root for not going on after making his ton to get 160 whilst overlooking the failures of Buttler, Morgan, Ali....

Agreed Dwight, he doesn't average 37 at a strike rate of 120 by playing himself in and taking time out in the middle.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

"How predictably negative."

I am not aware of many negative posts that I have penned but each to their own EYT.

Seeing as there has been much comment about Buttler on here I thought it would be informative to record his latest innings.

On a positive note, well done Joe, looks like Hales and Root are going to stand out from the 'engine room' that's spluttering and hiccoughing along at the moment, for the second game in a row.

still, apologies for pointing out the failings of the untouchables. happy.gif

Dwight, with the series won one could argue that it was exactly the right time to take a few balls to try and spend a bit of time out in the middle.

This message has been edited by legglance on Mar 9, 2017 4:44 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 9 2017, 4:43 PM 

Actually he does usually take time to settle in before he explodes. Quite often he is below an SRR of 100 in early stages but his eye and power and all round the wicket hitting zone then see his rate rise.

I'm not slating Buttler as he is a match winner. I'm just missing something that others see when it comes to Billings ahead of Bairstow

March 9 2017, 4:45 PM 

Apologies Leg Glance, didn't mean to infer you directly, just a general tone amongst a great number of posters.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk