<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Who would be in your England ICC squad?

March 10 2017 at 8:10 AM
Lew  (Login Lewis_116)

15 players. Interesting to see who makes your cut. Still a few games to go to see if anyone can make their way in.

For me:

Roy
Hales
Root
Morgan C
Stokes
Buttler WK
Livingstone
Woakes
Willey
Rashid
Wood (If fit)

Reserves:
Billings (WK)
Ali (Spin)
Finn
Plunkett

Topley if fit for Finn - unlikely)

I feel we are a bit weak with the bowling and could really do with Woods extra pace or Topley's left/height option.

Spin worries me and I seem to be the only one questioning Ali (bits and pieces) and Rashid (expensive). Livingstone at Lan*s has impressed with bat and ball and looks a quality batsman with the Lions. This has been in parrallel with very good bowling figures, granted on the sub continent.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Mar 10, 2017 8:13 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Who would be in your England ICC squad?

March 10 2017, 9:11 AM 

A lot depends, as you say, if Wood is fit. If he is then for me he's straight in the team!
Livingstone has impressed but I can't see this England management bringing is any "bolters" for this tournament.

Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Wood, Willey.

plus

Billings, Plunkett, Dawson, Ball.

That's half me guessing the squad/half what I'd pick. Personally I'd have found room for Broad but that just doesn't look a path they'll take.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

March 10 2017, 9:46 AM 

What is the ICC ?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 10 2017, 9:51 AM 

Champions Trophy in June.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

March 10 2017, 10:00 AM 

Hales
Roy
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Willey
Wood
Rashid

Billings
Bairstow
Plunkett
Finn

Given that it's England in June, I'd go with the extra seamer over the extra spinner.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 10 2017, 10:01 AM 

Unusually this should be relatively straightforward for a change as we have the benefit of a winning team on the whole and a fairly settled side, perhaps these are not mutually exclusive.

Agree any left field late selection is unlikely so don't see Topley or Livinstone in the running.

The top 9 in the post above by EYT pick themselves with the only debate over the two bowlers at 10 and 11. Willey, Wood, Plunkett, Finn, Ball are vying for two slots with two others in the squad and one on stand by. My preference if all fit and firing is for Willey who offers left arm swing which is great in the conditions when the tournament will be played, as well as power hitting down the order. I think Plunkett offers raw pace, great fielding and explosive batting too but may miss out to Wood if he is 100% fit as he can be more economical bowling as well as explosive and wicket taking. Finn then would be ahead of Ball who is on standby.

I would favour Bairstow over billings or Dawson personally but Billings clearly a blue eyed boy when it comes to one day stuff.

Do we need a back up spinner with Rashid struggling to get a bowl as it is?!

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Mar 10, 2017 10:02 AM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

March 10 2017, 10:43 AM 

Nasser Hussain made an interesting point last night, although the matches are in England the grounds/wickets will be prepared by the ICC ground staff and not the regular county groundsmen. On that basis he warned not to expect typical English wickets with a bit of nibble etc.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 10 2017, 10:51 AM 

in that case EYT, I would go with this 15.

Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Willey, Wood.

Billings, Plunkett, Dawson or Livingstone, Ball.

Really can not see any reason for three keepers or an extra batsman when we have Willey coming in at 10.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 10 2017, 12:08 PM 

Roy
Hales
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Plunkett
Willey
Wood

Billings
Bairstow
Rashid
Ball

I don't think two spinners will be required. We have five good pace bowlers and if fit we should pick them all. Ali is in for lower order runs and occasional off spin. Then I have an opener, a middle order batsman, a spinner and a quick in the squad.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

March 10 2017, 1:30 PM 

Roy
Hales
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Plunkett
Willey
Rashid
Finn

Billings, Duckett, Dernbach, Curran

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

March 10 2017, 1:53 PM 

Dernbach???

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 10 2017, 7:06 PM 

I'm not trying to predict the squad but the question was who would be in your England squad.

Roy
Hales
Root
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Woakes
Ali
Plunkett
Willey
Wood

Buttler
Broad
Ball
Duckett

Gone with Broad as an extra bowler. Unfortunately I fear that Wood wouldn't get through a whole tournament.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk