<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Richard Hutton..?

March 16 2017, 8:03 PM 

Judging by the postings on this forum (with no one apparantly in favour), it does seem to be a crass recommendation made by our Board. Lets see how many of the members are in favour when the votes are cast.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 16 2017, 8:56 PM 

They certainly like shooting themselves in the foot.

This is a totally unnecessary and divisive recommendation.

I know Dickie isn't every ones cup of tea, but I still believe he should have been asked to step in as acting president for this year.

The board would then have had breathing space to make soundings prior to making a recommendation for president in 2018.

(Login Danum)

March 16 2017, 9:36 PM 

To all those saying they can't get there for 9am: you have a proxy voting form to use (but only if you vote against Hutton of course!)

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 9:59 PM 

AGM info: has everyone received their pack? I've had the accounts etc but no voting forms for the president.

I can't attend but something needs to be said about the future of 'county' cricket. Its in danger of being destroyed. We must fight back.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 17 2017, 12:51 PM 

The members packs & vouchers etc were supposed to be sent out this week, as we need the year book voucher to get the yearbook tomorrow at the discounted price. I believe, the EGM details when we have the chance to vote or not for the new President will also be sent out with them. I have recd neither and today is the last day as our post never arrives before mid-afternoon. I was hoping to pick up my yearbook tomorrow, but maybe not if the members packs do not arrive.

I will be attending tomorrow and hopefully something will be said by someone about the future of CC, which is being destroyed with YCCC seeming to be implicit in it`s demise.

There could be several EGM`s called or just one with these items on the agenda.

Electing the new President. (9am 7/4)

Breaking our own debt rules if we go over £25m borrowing to finance the new stand. (??)

Franchise T20 acceptance or not. (??)

All 3 items surely must be put to the members for approval.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 17, 2017 12:52 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 17 2017, 1:47 PM 

I got my pack yesterday. EGM for the President vote is 7 April at 9 am.

Members guide also has a note about parking being more difficult when the Construction work on the main stands starts, so they seem to be pushing ahead, on paper anyway.

Mind you I question whether they know what they are doing.

The covering letter clearly states existing members will be able to use last years card to gain entry, while stuck on the bottom of the letter is a brand new membership card!

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Mar 17, 2017 1:49 PM

Otley
(Login Otley)

Re: Richard Hutton

March 17 2017, 2:21 PM 

My pack didn't include a new membership card. Am I the only one?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

March 17 2017, 2:45 PM 

Mine neither.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 17 2017, 3:22 PM 

GeoffB

It stated on the AGM letter that last years cards could be used again this year, so Geoff you may have two memberships for the price of one!! Try them both,or ring the club to clarify.

Just got my pack for next season and no new card for me either.

Two less matches (4 days less cricket) and no free scorecards this year for the same price, but the club will insist, no doubt, that there was no price increase this year!!

Alandale
(Login Alandale)

Another howler!

March 17 2017, 5:42 PM 

Can anyone share this experience - a Members' Guide that has page 2 followed by page 33, then page 34 and then page 5 - - so of course at the back of the booklet, page 32 is followed by page 3, then page 4, then page 35?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: Another howler!

March 17 2017, 5:57 PM 

Sounds as though the printers assembling the guide have made an error.

I blame Richard Hutton happy.gif

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Passing on the baton!

March 17 2017, 6:40 PM 

Article in the Yorkshire post today suggesting Richard Hutton was John Hampshire's choice to succeed him.

It won't affect my decision to vote against but it may well help the powers that be to carry the vote.

Jim
(Login Tingleytyke)

Membership packs

March 17 2017, 7:01 PM 

My membership pack had a new card ,my wife's did not .My Grandsons had a new card despite him being a memeber last year ,I e mailed the ticket office who informed me it was an error but to use the new card.

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Politics and Hutton

March 17 2017, 8:23 PM 

I have a Yorkshire CCC memorabilia collection. I have hundreds of players on a wall which I have named The Former Yorkshire Players Remembered Wall! It includes a press photo and an autograph slip below of the aforementioned Richard Hutton. As I did not see him play ( I saw my first match in 1983) can anyone tell me about , shall we say, the problems Mr Hutton caused during his time at the Club?.
A Buchan

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Politics and Hutton

March 18 2017, 9:43 AM 

You have no idea what you're asking my friend....

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

March 18 2017, 11:13 AM 

Steve is right. However, my own feelings, for your information, and strictly related to the current response to RH, are:

There was a big conflict over Geoffrey Boycott's position as captain and player. That's all you're going to get, as you need that alone or about 50 pages. Players, officials, members, supporters all had very strong views and, regardless of the rights and wrongs, immense damage was done. Eventually it became history. A few bridges were reconstructed, for instance between Fred Trueman and Boycott. When Boycott was nominated as president, there was only one real objection of note: Richard Hutton who chose to go public in revisiting the whole sorry period.

I don't think the events of the seventies and eighties should be held against a presidential candidate. It's Hutton's inability to accept that which in my view makes him unsuitable.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 18 2017, 12:35 PM 

In response to littleoldme the following are Hutton's own words from the book Magnificent Seven by Andrew Collomosse :-

"The natural thing would have been for him [Ray Illingworth] to succeed Brian [Close] at some stage and had he stayed, he and Close could have sorted something out about the captaincy as time went by.
Instead, having shot themselves in the foot over Illingworth's departure, the committee chose Boycott as Close's successor in 1971. to my mind, he was totally unsuited to be captain of Yorkshire.
In the early Seventies the atmosphere changed so dramatically. Throughout the Sixties the attitude of a group of highly-talented players was that the team was always bigger than the individual.
Then suddenly that was reversed. it was sad, really sad, although at first, the change of captaincy did not have an adverse affect on my own form.
In all matches in 1971, I scored 1009 runs and took 80 wickets, statistically my most successful season.
However, the following year I couldn't regain my place in the England side and I think my performance and my commitment probably began to fade from then on. Playing for Yorkshire became increasingly unenjoyable under the new regime.
At the end of the 1974 season it was time to go. Some of my contemporaries were beginning to move on and I no longer felt the camaraderie that had been such a great team attribute in the 1960s."

Hutton was 32 when he retired and might have had another 7 or 8 years as a player had he chosen to continue during which time he might have helped bring on the next generation of Yorkshire players.

It is clear from his comments that his support for Boycott as captain was lukewarm at best and he probably felt he himself was a better choice as captain once Illingworth was out of the picture.

As has been mentioned his behaviour over Boycott's nomination as club president didn't exactly show him in a good light either.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 12 2017, 5:44 PM 

I'm assuming the new President nominee was accepted at the AGM?

(Login dpressed)

April 12 2017, 6:43 PM 

I didn't attend but yes Hutton was elected by both the postal vote & in the room.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 8:45 AM 

It would be interesting to know the figures......?
I cant imagine many people attended the meeting to be honest.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk